Guest viewing is limited

TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

I agree with amymj. When I had my mri for the knee, just the bottom part of me was put into the machine. When my shoulder was done, my whole body was put into it. It was my first time and very scary. I'm a Christian, so I just started praying. Then everyone that popped into my mind, I prayed for. This made the time fly by. Prayer works!
 
You all are very supportive and compassionate. My surgeon told me I have Osteoarthritis and Chondral Patellar disease in my left knee. Deciding what to do depends on the MRI results. I need this MRI. I will carry you all with me in my thoughts and heart tomorrow and the next day and each day after that. Hugs to you all!
 
When I had to go for my first one 2 of my friend’s went with me. We made a morning of it, going out to breakfast first. They were in the waiting room but I pretended they were in the room with me, one at each end of the machine.

We will be with you in spirit! :console2:
 
He really doesn’t want to do another tkr because of my age. I go for an MRI tomorrow and then back to his office on Tuesday to figure this out.
Your age should not have anything to do with it. It's the state of your knee that counts. If it needs a TKR, than there's no point in postponing it.
Nowadays, knee replacements can last for 30+ years, so there's no point in postponing the surgery because you're allegedly "too young".
I’m also slightly claustrophobic and am going by myself for MRI. Somehow I’ve got to muster up some bravery and do it. I’ve never been so scared in my life about my future.
I hope that the MRI goes well.
Yes, it's not a pleasant thing to have done, but it's necessary.
Since the MRI will be done on your knee, it's unlikely that your whole body will have to be enclosed in the machine, but just the lower half. Your head and upper half should remain outside.

Do let us know how it goes and what you and your surgeon decide. Hugs! :friends:
 
I’m 43 and my doctor encouraged my TKR because I was bone on bone, confirmed by an MRI that I asked for because something in my knee popped and I was no longer able to walk on it. Only my lower body was in the machine. The MRI will give you peace of mind. Hugs...
 
Hi everyone. I had my MRI done. I was in that machine for over ½ hour. They put headphones on me for music. But that machine is loud! There were a few times when I thought I couldn’t tolerate it much longer but I thought of all of you who posted to me on here, Bonesmart, and felt some comfort. So I was able to make it through. Sigh.

Part of me wants the results to be favorable for just arthroscopic procedure, but the other part wants to just get on and over with a TKR because I know in my future, there will inevitably be one.

I just want my life back. I feel on hold. Like I’ve said in prior posts, I don’t go out anywhere unless it’s for Dr appts. I rely on my daughter and my one very best friend. I hate living like this. These rooms are getting smaller. I’m always in fear of my knee subluxing. And I walk like I’m an infant just learning. My TKR could have been more successful had not the left knee decided to rebel. It’s a catch 22.

I’ll see my surgeon on Tuesday with the results and hopefully the plan to get me my life back. Thanks everyone. Bonesmart people really are a treasure.
 
Awesome that you did so well with the MRI!!! :happydance:
 
Wow! Half hour! At least its over. Must have been different technology....? I hope you get the answer that you can be at most peace with. My second was just done Jan. 15. I was very scared, more scared than I had been with my other knee or my hip, but all went just fine. You are not alone! Hang in there and keep thinking positive thoughts!!!!!
 
MRI down, and visit with the surgeon to go! I hope the results lead to you being able to move around more and live the life you want to live.
 
Physio is an important part in one's recovery which I did for six weeks and being an amputee (coming up 70 years) one exercise the static bike I ruled out as my artifical leg wasn't able to pedal. Need to say four months on some days my knee continues to hurt until the inside heals. Patients are never patient expecting things to heal quickly when it takes time.
 
Last edited:
@Needhope well done. You managed the MRI and you managed a long time. Thanks fantastic. Now when you get the results, hopefully they will give you some answers that will guide the rest of your recovery. We’ll be here to support you on Tuesday, thought there is a time difference as I’m in Australia but you know what I mean lol
 
The 2 options presented to me by my orthopedic surgeon because of my mri results are... arthroscopic surgery to remove floating torn cartilage, meniscus not totally intact either and Osteoarthritis present. Recovery time 6-8 weeks with no guarantee I won’t need a tkr a months later. Or... just do the tkr and be done with it. Huge decision to have to make putting my quality of life as my top priority, I opted for tkr. I hope to god I made the correct decision.
 
Sounds like you made the right decision, eventually you would need a TKR, probably sooner rather than later. One surgery, one recovery.
 
Sounds like you made the right decision. That’s what I would do. I’m proud of you for going through with the MRI, by the way. Now, you can be at peace with your decision. Hugs...
 
I had a meniscus repair right before Thanksgiving of 2015, which didn't help, and ended up with a TKR in June 16. You made a good decision in my opinion!
 
Speaking from experience, Needhope you exactly made the correct decision. I had a menisectomy in June last year, walked around in pain for 6 mo. before I eventually got brave enough for the TKR 8 weeks ago. The menisectomy was worse, know that sounds implausible but that hurt so much and I had swelling worse than any day after the tkr. I wish I would have went straight to the tkr! It would have saved me six months of agony!! Good luck to you! You are gonna do just great!!!!
 
I too think you made a good decision. A maybe that’s possibly only good for a few months isn’t worth very much. You’re going to do fine.
 
The fact that my cartilage is crumbling apart, meniscus,Osteoarthritis, lifelong history of subluxing kneecap, I couldnt make this decision with hoping that it would buy be an unknown amount of time before the inevitable TKR. I really don’t want to go through this again, but I feel it’s the best option. April 4 is the day. Preop prep starts soon. I’m doing my darndest to stay calm, and hopeful. Thank you all for your encouragement. I really really need and appreciate you all. Hugs!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom