Guest viewing is limited

aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well George, your bad hip is a bad hip. It's only going to keep deteriorating, and that causes more pain. And pain has to be one of the biggest energy drains...physically AND mentally...that we encounter. The surgical energy drain is self-limiting; eventually we recover from the surgery and our energy returns. But the arthritic deterioration and pain just continues, until we finally have our surgery. So if you perceive that you are experiencing more pain and energy drain as you wait till your surgery date, it's because you are. Your brain thinks you are just in a holding pattern until your date rolls around, but your body doesn't respect that....it's got a disease and it's going to keep on doing what it's been doing all along. Damn sneaky arthritis!!!! Hang in there, fellow traveller....there is an end in sight.

Sharon
 
Sharon, Thanks, I figured it had to be draining. I found the post surgical pain after my march 20th THR to be easier to deal with than the pre for that one and the pre for this one. Mainly because it got a little bit better each day, each week. This pre stuff is rough as it gets tougher as you go along. Getting closer about 6 weeks to go.
 
George, I had forgotten you had a hip done this year already. You're about 7 months out, which in recovery time means your body is still putting resources into that recovery. That could certainly contribute to the energy drain as well. My first hip is 18 months old now, but there are occasional days when I feel more strain with that hip than I do with the new one. Go figure.
 
I am sure the hip thats healing is part of the drain but the increase in pain and drain in the last month is profound. I also find that other issues that may have been simmering have flared up. For example my right wrist repetitive strain pain which is usually easily ignored is just killing me waking me up at night etc. Its almost like the body has the resources to deal with a certain amount of stuff and once you trip over it all goes to heck.

My animals are very concerned about me and doing all they can to help. :puppysmooze:
[Bonesmart.org] aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread
 
you had a hip done this year already. You're about 7 months out, which in recovery time means your body is still putting resources into that recovery.

Hi George,

I agree with what Sharon wrote. I think that both your hips are contributing to your energy drain and maybe also to the other aches that are feeling less manageable at this time as well. Try to manage as best you can as it's a while before you get your second hip taken care of. Listen to your animals, if they are sensing your problems they are probably also trying to help you to slow down a bit more.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie,

Thanks I'm trying to reduce workload however I can at work. Its a bit hard as a self employed person I can't shut down the business but for example I'm working only on nice horses now and refering the difficult ones. Fortunately shoes are coming off for winter and work is slowing down. Wood is in and stacked. We have one more load of hay to have delivered. Winding things down in prep for winter and surgery.

Trimming the elephant (see post above) is just going to have to wait till spring :-)
 
Hi George, just had to tell you what we saw today.. Picture this..

Elderly couple with a station wagon with the back down, two elderly dogs that were struggling to walk, the gentleman takes out a plank of wood, rests it on the tailgate like a ramp and the two dogs amble over and just walk up the plank and into the station wagon... We smiled at the thoughtfulness of these dog owners :)
Hi Poppet, long time no speak! We have actually purchased a doggy ramp for our 2 elderly pooches as they are no longer able to jump into the car. They love it! Sorry to hijack your thread George, Redd looks great. Good luck with your op, I'm having my left one done on 29 November, had the right one done last year. See you on the other side!, you 'll feel so much better then. Cheers Anne
 
George,

You know we will be waiting to see you giving the elephant a pedicure in the spring!! :)

Do you have an apprentice that can help you these next weeks as you work your way to your surgery? There must be people that want to learn the trade, right??

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi George,

I found myself barely walking days before my surgery. Not sure if it was psychological or not. The OS did say after the surgery that my hip was in really bad shape, but I can only imagine most people are in bad shape at the time of surgery. The x-ray did show it collapsing and going fast that's why he got me in two weeks later for surgery. I think once it starts going bad it goes quickly. Keep your spirits up as better days are coming!!!
 
Cardi,
Its very hard to find young people who want to work hard with their hands. Now if I could only figure out how to use twitter and an iPad to trim horse feet I'd have lots of apprentices :hairpulling:
 
4 weeks and counting. Pre-op appointments thursday nov 5th. Have added half of a vicodin (hydrocodone 5mg) at bedtime to try and get some sleep.

Gets tough in these last weeks.
 
Yes it does get very tough.. But focus on the no bone on bone pain and be gentle with yourself.. It is a little like doing 'the time'..:)
 
Dobeck, I agree, once a hip(s) starts to go bad, it goes very quickly. My date is a week from tomorrow and I can not wait to stop feeling this bone-on-bone pain.

aa1pd, your pre-op date is the day I'm scheduled for my RTHR. Hang in there, your date will be here before you know it. Best of luck to you.

Tammy
 
Getting ready for hurricane Poppet. The wind field on this thing is huge and 40-50 MPH tropical force sustained winds will be in my area of southern maine for 24-36 hours. My girl friend in Vermont is in the same wind band. But we will have it easy here compared to my family in NYC. Just gotta go nail up windows in the barn and I'm ready. Got horse raincoats on the horses. Stalls are ready when I decide to bring them inside.

Been on the phone helping my brother in NYC Suburbs get a generator prepped. My mom and Dan in NYC suburbs are ready the senior center has a generator and they have lots of candles water batteries and canned food. We are all worried about my sister in NYC she lives in the east village of lower manhattan. She is only one block outside of the mandatory evacuation zone and has decided to stay in the city and ride it out. Looks like all the NY relatives are in the 60-80MPH wind band. This storm is huge and the power may be out for weeks down there. Torn between being glad that the storm (which was headed for maine and nova scotia) has turned to the west and will not hit me directly but really worried about my family members who are getting the direct hit.
 
Oh George, my thoughts are with all of my BS friends and families at this terrifying time - prayers from Australia :)
 
George,

My thoughts are with you as I'm experiencing the storm right now. We've got about 3-4 inches of rain this morning and the wind is really increasing. Probably about 40 miles per hour with gusts over 50. Got some big trees near my home. Hope they fall away from me if they come down. My friends in Delaware have had flooding around their home and had to leave. I'm not sure how bad it will get in NYC since the storm surge is supposed to be bad. Hopefully, since it's moving fast right now it will go quickly and not stick around long. This is the craziest storm I've ever seen and I've lived on the East Coast my entire life. Good luck and God Bless.
 
My brother and sister and their kids have made it out of NYC and up to my parents place in somers, NY. It was tough going with lots of trees down etc. but they are out of the city and safe. Mom and dad have power. Quite a relief to hear this. They got in a few minutes ago.
 
Hi George,

Glad to know that your family members are all safe after the storm. What an amazing mess and so many sad stories of loss and destruction in the media. Your place made it through the storm ok as well?

Sorry to hear there are no apprentice types of programs for farriers. So, who will take care of the next generation of hoofed beasts?????

Glad to know the elephants have made it safely and hope all went well with your pre-op appointments.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Your place made it through the storm ok as well?

Was not very bad here in maine no more than 50mph winds in my area. Maine had 88,000 homes out of power and all was restored by thursday.


Sorry to hear there are no apprentice types of programs for farriers. So, who will take care of the next generation of hoofed beasts?????

There are lots of apprentice opportunities but very few young people want to work with their hands. The trades are dying for help but kids only want to tweet and facebook.


Glad to know the elephants have made it safely and hope all went well with your pre-op appointments.

The pre-op was uneventful we are full steam ahead for 7:15 AM monday Nov 26th for surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom