aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riding is so good for the body! It's a highly under-rated form of exercise. It stretches and works muscles that no other activity can do. I can't wait until I can do it again. I have to heal that hip flexor tear ... and then make sure I'm super stretched out. I have a very wide, muscular (and right now, fat!) QH. It's kind of like riding a barn. lol

George, so glad you have been able to ride and will be back to work so soon after your hips are done. Farrier work is very difficult and hard work. I have a ton of respect for the profession and try to treat my own farrier very well.

Dorothy
 
I have a very wide, muscular (and right now, fat!) QH. It's kind of like riding a barn. lol

My horses are not fat they are just "big boned" LOL. One side effect of my surgery has been weight gain in my horses

[Bonesmart.org] aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread


My massage therapist found me to be getting tighter around the right hip. Like with the other hip things seem to degrade as one approaches surgery. 3 months to go.
 
Waiting is definitely the hardest part.....wait for the initial surgeon's appointment, then wait for the surgery.... Too bad pain meds mess up my brain so much! I could certainly use some right about now.

While I have no horses that can gain weight, my dog has gotten chubby since we're no longer taking even short walks. Funny how that happens, eh? :puppysmooze:
 
Wheezy, not many more weeks and your waiting will be over... Then on with recovery..
 
One of my customers is a gifted photographer. while I trimmed her mini horses she shot some photos of red.

[Bonesmart.org] aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread


[Bonesmart.org] aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread


[Bonesmart.org] aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread
 
Oh George, I am totally besotted with Red now, just love the photos... aa1pd;

Lots of members know I want a puppy.. One day!
 
Update time. 9/11/12
Guess I need to continue the "how active can this guy be pre-surgery" bandwagon. So I am taking a Bladesmithing class this week. Making 2 knives, Forged them on monday, Ground them today, working on handles and finish the rest of the week.

Went back to yoga for the first time since February last thursday. I went back to yoga on my own lightly at about 6 weeks post op. The class pretty much kicked my butt however it was fun and I'm wanting to go into the Nov/Dec OP in better shape than the last one. I plan to go at least every other week to the class.

In general managing to continue most of life at a reduced intensity as I get ready.

Heard from the OS's office tentatively RTHR will happening on or about 11/25 pending the doc's november days off holiday schedule being locked in. Good to have at least a "soft" date. Right hip is acting up.
 
You amaze me George, I love reading your thread, it is filled with optimism and joy.. You are living (albeit at a reduced intensity) right up to your soft surgery date.

Now with your new activity, I can just see them wheeling you in to the OR and you will be busy checking out the hardware :)
 
Hi George, just had to tell you what we saw today.. Picture this..

Elderly couple with a station wagon with the back down, two elderly dogs that were struggling to walk, the gentleman takes out a plank of wood, rests it on the tailgate like a ramp and the two dogs amble over and just walk up the plank and into the station wagon... We smiled at the thoughtfulness of these dog owners :)
 
Fantastic George, good news and from memory it ticks all your boxes regarding timeframes for your business etc ?? [Bonesmart.org] aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread
 
Whoa! Same date I am getting my shoulder done! :thumb:

Hey I'm honored to be on the same day as Josephine!

Popet yep should work out good for the business. Hope I'm not an idiot for trying to make it so long between operations for the sake of my business the right leg is really starting to bother me.

A bit bummed that i can only ride my very quiet horses now. I was going thru my natural horsemanship preflight stuff on my young sometimes worried thorbred mare today realized that the small worry in her would just go away if I deftly swung a leg over and rapidly got done to work. I was up in one stirrup and decided to not ride. alas I cant swing the leg over anymore I now "slither" on like a drunken python and take a minute to settle my back once mounted from the hip pain from the to still to be operated on hip. I did not want to put her in the position of things not working out so I dismounted and we ate grass instead of riding.

I was feeling sorry for myself for a while today but on the bright side once the other hip is fixed I'll be able to ride her again. My trainer friend is coming over tomorrow and she will ride Tova the young TB and i'm going to ride Lola my QH who won't care about how I have to mount and ride another friend is joining us on her horse. Its been a horsey weekend I worked parking Cars friday and saturday at the Buck Brannaman clinic another friend was hosting. Camped out under the stars with people who had come from all over the country. We had 300 people attending his clinic (usually we get 30) the 10X increase in attendance over previous years was due to the movie "Buck" coming out last year and everybody wanting to meet him and watch him or for the lucky few bring their horse and ride with him. So a bunch of us who ride regularly at my friends place volunterred to help. I did car parking and ticket taking and wrist bands. He gave a great clinic as he always does and I learned a lot but it was particularly inspiring to see so many people getting turned on by this enlightened style of horsemanship. I parked cars from as far away as Indiana and New Orleans as people flocked to my little corner of maine to see Buck teach. Then today I did great with my somewhat troubled horse till I just couldn't physically manage to get on in the manner she needed. My mind was up to riding her but alas the body needs repairs :) Then tomorrow is a ride with my friends.

Its kinda sad to watch capacities diminish as the hip degrades. Someone else commented here that the world seems to contract around you as pain increases and range of motion decreases. I watched this happen with the left hip then come back as I rehabbed and the summer was the best in many many years. I'm a bit melancholy now as the right hip begins to have more of an impact on things. I think some of this is true physical degradation, some is tighter muscles from the cooler fall air, and some I feel is psychological as I feel the closer surgery gets the less the mind wants to deal with all the difficulties. I am thankful for my great surgeon, my friends at home and online here, and my animal friends all of whom are helping me thru this.
 
George, you are just remarkable. Not too long now to your second hip---then the sky's the limit! [Bonesmart.org] aa1pd RTHR pre-op thread Enjoy your friends and your horses and your life.
 
Hello,

It seems like as you get closer to the surgery and tired of the pain. You tend to give up a little. I noticed I have a harder time doing things daily. Mentally, not knowing what it actually feels like to be out of pain. I wonder what it's going to feel like to get back to a normal routine. For you, I hope your connection with what you do on a day to day basis doesn't change. It sounds like you will do just fine! :bicycle1:
 
8 weeks to go. Pain levels seem to be rising. Up from 220 mg of aleve to 440 mg twice daily. Up from 500mg tylenol every 4-6 hours to 1000. Thats keeping a lid on the pain but my energy levels are down. I don't tolerate ibuprofen well (upsets my GI tract) so my version of the "Bonesmart Cocktail" is Aleve (naproxsyn sodium) and Tylenol.

Still horseshoeing every day. Redd is still coming along every day. :puppysmooze:
 
Hi George,

Glad to hear your date is coming closer. Sounds like you might be going through what I'm going through. My hip is collapsing quickly and the pain is so bad, I don't get any relief from OTC pain meds anymore. Actually, it's been a long time since I've had any relief. My surgery is in less than two days now and I'm getting excited and scared at the same time.

It's great that you can still work leading up to surgery. Friday was my last day at work until I"m recovered. Got a lot of good support from my co-workers. Cold weather is coming so, I hope the weather doesn't bother you up there in beautiful Maine. I've been there a few times it's really nice. I guess the leaves are already changing. They are already changing here in Maryland. Good luck.
 
Hi George,

Glad to hear your date is coming closer. Sounds like you might be going through what I'm going through. My hip is collapsing quickly and the pain is so bad, I don't get any relief from OTC pain meds anymore. Actually, it's been a long time since I've had any relief. My surgery is in less than two days now and I'm getting excited and scared at the same time.

It's great that you can still work leading up to surgery. Friday was my last day at work until I"m recovered. Got a lot of good support from my co-workers. Cold weather is coming so, I hope the weather doesn't bother you up there in beautiful Maine. I've been there a few times it's really nice. I guess the leaves are already changing. They are already changing here in Maryland. Good luck.

Thanks for the support! I'm going to start using a cane to ease the load on the hip. Did this in the last month or two before the last surgery as well.
 
I have been using a cane since around June this year. Tremendous help for me. I don't think I could have made it this long without it. It really helps to make you more mobile.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom