A Shoulder Saga

@Jamie I'm so glad to hear you are home and doing well!! Yup the BoneSmart mantra applies to shoulders as well as hips and knees ;) I too will look forward to seeing your video - wish my shoulder OS had been able to do that! I have a very general idea of what was done but it will be very interesting to see the actual surgery.

Behave yourself :chillpill: and before summer you'll be :yay: and other fun things
 
@Jamie
I'm pleased to know that your surgery went well.

Rest, ice, - do you elevate a shoulder? - take your pain meds on time.
Most of all, be kind to yourself and your shoulder. :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] A Shoulder Saga
@Jamie, you are now an
[Bonesmart.org] A Shoulder Saga
!

Good to hear that things went well and that you are home and on the mend.
 
Glad things went well Jamie! You know the drill! Happy Healing!
 
An amazing thing happened. I was icing, elevating my arm in the recliner and taking pain meds on a 4 hours schedule. Had a fair amount of pain yesterday (Saturday) and last night. Then abruptly this morning it just stopped hurting. In fact when I took my one pain pill instead of the two I was taking last night, I could feel that I no longer needed them at all. That 10:00 a.m. pill made me feel wonky and horrible....almost like I had taking too much! So I stopped the pain meds and have been just fine all afternoon and evening with no icing or anything. Maybe it was swelling and once it reduced, things just quit hurting.

I'm still taking it easy today, but think I will be ready for the passive exercises I was given to start tomorrow. I tell you, this is a whole 'nother experience from knees!! I don't have the range of motion in my shoulder yet and definitely not a lot of strength. But it sure feels like it's going to be a lot better with some time. I'm very hopeful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bad news about the videos. I cannot figure out how to upload them here. Rats!
 
Sounds like things are going well for you Jamie. Long may it continue!
 
I spoke too soon. The pain returned today and I had to get back on scheduled meds. I think I have it now with 5mg Hydrocodone every 6 hours. I do my exercises about 45 minutes after taking the pill then retreat to the recliner and my ice machine for a 2 hour nap. The only thing bad about this is that I just don't relate well to that much "down" time. Like everyone here, I keep thinking I should heal faster. Sigh....guess I'm "normal" and not Superwoman after all.

My exercises are really passive, but they feel good. In one, I bend over and move my arm like a pendulum and then in circles. The other exercise involves a pulley attached to a door. I sit and use the pulley handle to gently stretch my arm and shoulder upwards. Wow, does that feel wonderful. I have to try hard not to overdo it because the stretch feels so good. Ten times and I'm ready for a nap!

The surgeon used stitches on the three entry holes, so I'll be having those out on March 21st. Until then, I guess I'll be doing my routine and hoping for improvements.
 
Jamie, I'm so happy to see you are doing quite well! But I'm quite jealous that you were given those wonderful exercises to do first week! Left shoulder I was not allowed out of sling except to shower for the first two weeks then allowed to be down for "very short" times for two weeks. But oh yes it felt so good to start the pendulum exercises and stretches - but not till fourth week!

I too still find the pain does not just GO AWAY like the hip and even the back. But it does feel like a healing pain.....

I've been wanting and needing to post here but one handed computer is tough. It's just this last two weeks that I'm allowed to use hand to hold weight of phone. Geez, it's heavy! LOL.

Tomorrow I join you back at the start! Right shoulder scheduled to get fixed then!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Left shoulder I was not allowed out of sling except to shower for the first two weeks then allowed to be down for "very short" times for two weeks.
Ah, but you had a rotator cuff repair.
 
Jamie, wondering how your recovery is going?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How sweet of you to check on me!

Things are going pretty well. The pain has lessened each day and my movement has increased. But I still hurt at times either in the joint or down mid-arm in the biceps muscle. I'm hoping that all goes away too.

I can see that the joint replacement probably would have been best as my shoulder joint still pops a lot and sometimes feels like it could roll right out of the socket. I guess that's what you get when you have a fairly large are with no cartilage. I can lift my arm over my head better than before, but it's still a bit of a struggle and things pop and then it still won't go all the way up. Sigh.....

It is better and that's what I had hoped for. I'm going to give it until around October or November and then see if I think it's bad enough to go ahead with the joint replacement right after the holidays.

Have you done pretty well with your shoulder replacements? How is your mobility and pain?
 
No no shoulder replacement for me yet. Doctor said see how repairs go, and he did repair, didn't even use patches of biological that he thought he would use.

Range of motion in left shoulder is getting there. PT is getting not quite so excruciating. Right shoulder recovery not nearly so bad with knowing left improvements. Patience is easier. Except pt and moments, pain in shoulders a thing of my past!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Time has passed and the shoulder is better. I don't have as much pain as before the procedure, but it still can hurt. Because of the deterioration of the ball, I have to watch doing some motions above shoulder height. No pain, but just lots of popping if I move my arm that way. I have to do the motions very slowly. I see the surgeon on Monday and we'll talk about how things are. It's pretty obvious to me that the shoulder will not have normal motion and function without getting replaced. But I'm thankful that the doctor was able to relieve most of the pain I was having. Hopefully that will get me through until winter.
 
Hi @Jaime I just stumbled onto your thread here. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's illness and your shoulder. As usual you have stayed positive and upbeat and am so pleased to read that you have had some improvement..
 
I got a big positive boost today when I saw my surgeon at 5 weeks out. He thought I was doing wonderful even though I was starting to wonder. He said, heck no.....I had just been in the "resting" phase and now I would start the "healing" part. Funny since he told me I couldn't hurt my shoulder and to do whatever felt okay. Of course I'd been trying to do everything (nowhere in his previous advice did he mention "resting"!!) and wondered why it still hurt. He just laughed at me and said "Americans always want it done NOW. If you were in Canada or Europe, you wouldn't be in such a hurry!" Where have I heard that before?

So there wasn't anything I could do to hurt it and it's not unusual to have pain, loss of movement and discomfort for quite some time if you're doing daily things like I have been.

Turns out in addition to the two big bone spurs he removed, he also shaved the clavicle in two places to open up the joint a bit and make it work better even with the mis-shaped ball. He said those shaved bones were at least part of the discomfort I was having and that it should just now start to get better. Would be nice if that could all be explained up front, though.

In fact, today right before I went to the appointment with him a friend's husband and I packed a queen mattress and box springs up in plastic and moved them down a flight of stairs to our garage. Granted, Paul did the heavy parts, but it was still a good workout and my shoulder felt it. My doc just laughed at me and said that meant I was doing great. He made my day!!

So, now he wants me to begin therapy sessions to strengthen my arm, shoulder and back muscles. I see him again in 6 weeks and he promises there will be vast improvement. I'm excited because I had come to think this was how it was going to be until the joint was replaced. Now I'm really hopeful looking forward. And I absolutely LOVE my surgeon!
 
Excellent news, Jamie :egypdance: :yay: :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom