A Shoulder Saga

:friends: @Jamie Drat lady that nurse needs to get a clue! She should try getting along with an arm strapped to her chest for 6 weeks. Sigh If I lived closer I'd come help you! Maybe, just maybe, your surgeon will be like mine - each said 6 weeks in the sling/strap but I was actually out of said sling/strap by the 2nd week.

Sending up prayers for your smooth surgery and recovery. And sending "get a few clues" vibes to silly nurses and other alleged helper types where you are :eyebrows:
 
Jamie, I am so glad your "saga" sent me an email! I haven't had any from BoneSmart in ages! My sympathies for the passing of your husband. So tough. Hopefully you both were able to find great comfort with each other though such a hard time.

Yes, shoulder surgery was way more difficult recovery than hips for me ... but probably not so much more than knees! But, I think I finally learned that patience part of being a patient with it with having three in a little over six months.

Pain wise? I hurt so much before the surgery, that after the first couple of days, I don't remember it being as "disabling" as my shoulders were before surgery or the hip replacement.

Dressing is not so hard as I imagined. First couple of days, maybe week till you get the moves down, but than doable. Actually a good series of YouTube videos came up with a search. I couldn't find many button down shirts to use comfortably. I saw you mentioned you got big enough to cover sling? I got dressed than put my sling on top of clothing. At the beginning, you really need more around the neck to protect it from the weight of the sling ... think big thick turtleneck helped. Also, I got bunch of too big bras that could support enough but big enough to slide down body rather than undo all the time. That was impossible for me for 3-4 months before til forever. Actually, unexpectedly hard was pulling pants up. Again impossible for me to button or snap.

My first sling was a killer, but they replaced it with an iSling which was heavenly in comparison! Practice putting your sling on if you can before the surgery. That you'll need.

Good luck to you! I'll be looking forward to following your successes during recovery!
 
Sending you all the good mojo I can muster!:roseshwr:
 
I'll never understand how someone with the level of training required in nursing can talk such rubbish! Total disregard for the patient and their dignity! I certainly hope you get some answers from the social worker. None of what that nurse suggests sound anywhere near reasonable.

I think all this will probably be easier than you are imagining. One step at a time! We are with you Jamie!
 
I'm feeling a lot better now that I've talked to the social worker. She assured me we would work things out for whatever home health assistance I need. She wanted me to be able to get my doggie back home quickly too, so she was definitely on board with my concerns. She explained that my surgeon was strongly against physical therapists for the first six weeks as he didn't want to risk them messing up his good work (where have I heard THAT before?) so his rule is no home therapy. He did suggest that when we talked and I had forgotten. He said they would show me the pulley exercises in the hospital and that would be it. So....I can do that with no therapist coming by. But it does appear I'll be able to get some tips for activities of daily living from an occupational therapist and a bath aide for at least a weekly shower and hair wash (I may try to get that pushed up to twice a week or she will have to "unplaster" my greasy mop from my skull!).

I won't get my sling until I'm in the hospital, so there can't be any practicing beforehand. But I'm certainly feeling better about it all now. Guess I just needed to whine a bit after talking with that nurse. I always forget that somebody has to graduate in the bottom third of the class...:heehee:.

I'm very lucky with my shoulder in that I don't have a lot of pain. I just have lost most of its mobility. My hand won't go above my shoulder height and I have a lot of motions I can't do. I've lost most of the strength in that arm too. It could be so much worse if it really hurt. So I know I have a lot of work after healing to rebuild muscles and stretch things back out to where they should be. But at least I'll be seeing progress. Now all I see is deterioration. I'm so ready to git 'er done so I can move on.
 
Glad you got some better information Jamie! Sounds like you can just discount all that rubbish that grouchy nurse dished out. What is your actual surgery date? I'll put it in your signature for you! :heehee:
 
Prayers and more prayers :prayer:that all runs smoothly. That you're comfortable with your plan for post op, that you get the attention you need and deserve. I'm happy to read that you're not in major pain currently.
We'll be watching, supporting and encouraging you at every turn. Hopefully the six weeks flies by.

It's good you and Jo are staggering procedures / recoveries. You don't want the inmates running the prison.
That be us! :wink: Only kidding, you can trust us.....I think :heehee:

Hugs and best wishes.
@Jamie
 
:rotfl: Fortunately we have such capable inmates.....we're not worried! But, never fear.....Jo and I cannot stay away from the forum for any length of time. We're hooked on helping people through BoneSmart and will not be absent for long - even in recovery.
 
Wishing you all the best today and sending good mojo your way!:friends:
 
Good luck, Jamie! I'm thinking of you.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] A Shoulder Saga



[Bonesmart.org] A Shoulder Saga
 
Good luck Jamie, thoughts and prayers. You got this!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom