A Shoulder Saga

Sorry the honeymoon is over. Let us know what you decide. Last Tuesday, my shoulder was bothering me so much I thought, "I give up--where do I sign for a new one?!" Next day it felt better than it had in weeks and has been doing OK every since. (Which probably does mean I had stuff in the joint again.--UGH!)
 
Pumpkln, that yoga move is a variation of a stretch the surgeon's PA showed me at my last visit and it does help the shoulder feel better. Actually, I think it works a tad bit better than his exercise which had your arms straight instead of bent on a triangle. Thanks. I'm going to try it for a few days and see if it at least makes me a bit more comfortable.
 
@Jamie. Sorry to hear the news re: shoulder popping, but if it's any consolation to you , shoulder replacement a breeze compared to all the others, As long as there's no rotator cuff damage.
Wishing you only good news from dr
❤️Susanne



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks so much! Your surgery descriptions have been a comfort for me. You know how it is when you don't really know what to expect in terms of recovery! I don't know if I'll opt for surgery just yet, but plan to talk with the doc again in a month or so. Right now my husband is the one in need of surgery and his must come first as it's fairly serious. Sigh....it's always something!
 
Will be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts and sending you loads of healing and many comfortable days.

Just curious, are you right or left-handed? Are there other people around who can give you a hand if needed during your husband's surgery and recovery?
 
I'm right handed, so my bad shoulder is on the other side. Actually I can use both hands for just about anything, though....always have been lucky that way. And, yes, I have many friends close by who would help with anything if I asked. They are more reliable than family!!!
 
Good to know, Jamie. Please keep us posted on both you and your DH.
 
@Jamie That was over two months ago, does the story continue else where? I'm still battling back issues and, now, my shoulders that have been fairly quiet for awhile except for twinges here and there, a little popping, weakness, all of a sudden are so very painful. I have an appointment tomorrow with my hip doctor that I made a couple of weeks ago when shoulders were a little achy just to see what was happening. I was afraid that I would be losing health insurance by the end of the year. But, now, I can hardly lift either and the pain is incredible --- Me, I would have taken the oxycodin that I was prescribed and never took after any of the surgeries, but I forgot until today that I had it. Jeez, does it never end.

Any updates?
 
Other health issues for me and my husband have forced my shoulder to take a back seat. It still hurts and I have reduced mobility in it. Sometimes I have to resort to using a heating pad or taking Tylenol for the pain if it gets constant. Most of the time it's not. It's more the range of motion and pain if I try to do something like put hot rollers in my hair that is the problem. But it's probably going to be a while before I get back to the surgeon to discuss options.
 
Sorry to hear Jamie . . . just looking for some information here . . . having an acute event of shoulder pain and appointment tomorrow with doctor. Best wishes to you!
 
Good luck to you as well!
 
Other things in my life (hubby's health) overtook my shoulder but it has gradually worsened so that my movements are more restricted. Plus if I do any exercises with it at all I have a couple of days of pain. Time to head back to the surgeon, get an xray and/or MRI and have a serious chat. I'm not inclined to just keep doing shots as the first one only lasted a month. I'd rather have whatever is wrong fixed. So I should know something fairly soon. My appointment is January 4th.
 
I have gotten worse too over the last year and I went back to osteo PA today. I asked him about platlet rich plasma injections. This can help healing within the joint and of course chances of it working well is better if the damage is not excessive. The PA seemed to think it would be well worth trying in my case--he feels that this works much better than hyaluronic injections. It can take up to 3 injections done 1 month apart and of course is considered experimental so isn't covered by insurance. However, you can get a year or more of relief if it works for you.
 
I don't really have a lot of faith in those injections. They are very expensive and usually not covered by insurance. I've yet to read convincing evidence from scientific studies that it works. But in my case it's not even a possibility. I have two problems that my body cannot heal - bone on bone shoulder joint that has resulted in an oblong ball in the joint and multiple large bone spurs that are impinging on the rotator cuff.
 
I too am bone on bone and a year ago have a "clean out " of debris in the joint and a bone spur, but I don't want a shoulder replacement!! Yes, I know the jury is still out; however, there are several studies done for knee osteo that seem to show that it definitely works, at least part of the time--

"A study (2013) by researchers from Hospital for Special Surgery has shown that platelet-rich plasma (PRP) holds great promise for treating patients with knee osteoarthritis. The treatment improved pain and function, and in up to 73% of patients, appeared to delay the progression of osteoarthritis, which is a progressive disease. The study appears online, ahead of print, in the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine"

When I had sentinel node biopsy with my breast cancer, it was considered "experimental" and now it is the gold standard.
 
We think for me that the primary cause of my pain is the bone spurs. The mis-shapen ball joint pops but doesn't really give me pain. My hope is that an arthroscopic surgery to remove the spurs and repair any damage they may have done will buy me some time. This is what I hope to find out with my appointment next week. I'm not in a hurry to have a full replacement either!
 
Good luck at your appointment Jamie! Fingers crossed for you!
 
Sad that your shoulder is still bothering you but hoping you'll be fixed in no time now that hubby is better.

I've scheduled to get my supposedly not so bad shoulder done January 15. All have said I can't do both at the same time because I need one functioning arm. Since my right arm is not"functioning" (i.e. Some days I can't do anything without left arm assisting it to move), I was worried about having a functioning arm but Dr suggested that they now are doing a Torodol injection which does not cause tissue damage like the steroid injections but should give good pain relief for month or two. I have not done any of my own research on yet. Perhaps since it sounds like you have bilateral issues to you can check into at your appointment Monday?

Good luck to you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom