A Shoulder Saga

Actually I only have one bad shoulder....the left. The right one is just great. I had to cancel my appointment because sweet hubby needed a pacemaker put in on that day. Now I'll be waiting again to see the doc. Tried a Celebrex and it really helped. So I at least have that to fall back on right now.
 
Visit to the surgeon yesterday and I learned by poor shoulder has worsened in the past 9 months. I knew that because I now have some pain when I sleep and range of movement has reduced. He reported that what little cartilage I had in the joint is now completely gone and it's time to move forward. So tomorrow I get an MRI to see what kind of damage (hopefully very little) has been done to the rotator cuff due to the lovely large bone spur I have. I will know the results when I see the surgeon again next week. Oh joy.

I'm hoping I can buy some time with an arthroscopic surgery to clean off the 2 bone spurs I have and repair any rotator cuff damage. My original plan was to have something done over this winter but that was all delayed when my husband developed some major medical problems that have had him either in the hospital or rehab for most of the last 4 months. I tell you.....LIFE is what happens when a person is busy making plans! He's finally home and improving so I guess now it's my turn. I really prefer to have a shoulder replacement in the winter months, so I'm hoping it will be possible to wait until next winter.
 
Jamie, I had a huge bone spur before my 11/14 shoulder cleanout and my rotator cuff was fine, so good luck on that. Of course I NOW have no bone spurs per se, but have mass amounts of arthritic remodeling, and 3 partial tears--basically I am worse than before the cleanout. Anyway, I did it--I got a PRP injection on Sunday afternoon. Not fun--my veins are not good, and it took three tries and about 20 minutes to get enough blood to do the procedure. Then there were two injections into the shoulder. Most people need pain pills for 3-5 days afterwards and it is suppose to take 3-4 wks to see real improvement and up to three months for total results, but I haven't required medication since Sunday, and I feel way better than I did after my cortizone shots!! Basically no pain yesterday and today and slept like a baby last night!!!:happydance: Went to my massage PT today and he said it felt much better than it has in many weeks--of course that could be coincidence but we are cautiously optimistic. Considering how messed up my shoulder is, I know this is just a delaying technique, but I am hopeful for a less painful summer. What I am wondering, since the PRP is suppose to help healing and inflamation, why couldn't it be use in conjuction with a clean up operation?! (Or am I ahead of the curve in my thinking? :wink:)
 
Actually, most of what I've read about PRP therapy is that it doesn't provide much improvement for arthritic joints. Insurance usually doesn't cover it and I understand it's expensive. How about starting a thread so you can talk about how it works for you? That might be helpful for others considering the procedure.
 
Had hip done 4 weeks ago and I gather they cursed me in the theatre. When they tucked me nicely on my side , arm under pillow, I didn't say that hurt as I have arthritis in that shoulder. When I was out, my shoulder became very painful, I trashed around, pulled my drip out,and got sick .When I woke up my shoulder was really painful. They didn't ask me if I had a problem before hand and I didn't say as I assumes it was in my file. That will teach me!!!! Reading these messages, I'm amazed at how much detail people seem to get from their doctors, I just got the basic, you have bad osteoarthritis and you need replacement. I have little idea as to the extent of damage in my hips, knees or shoulder. It's interesting how they do things in different countries.
 
Mindy, things not only differ from country to country, but also from surgeon to surgeon in the same country! It's why we encourage folks to get a number of opinions before having surgery, ask a lot of questions, and make a decision based on experience and how you relate to the doctor.
 
MRI indicated rotator cuff is okay. It appears I can have arthroscopic surgery to see if that relieves my pain and possibly delay a shoulder replacement. Surgeon will go in and remove two large bone spurs and clean up any damaged (roughed up) areas. I still have total loss of cartilage in the joint, but we don't think that's what's giving me the pain. Guess we'll find out. Surgery is March 11th. I'm looking forward to it.....I think! I'm definitely looking forward to having the shoulder feel better.
 
@Jamie - I sincerely hope this works well for you! Shoulder pain is almost as horrid as hip or knee pain and having shoulder feel better is just as marvelous as having hips and knees feel better :yay:
 
That's certainly what I'm hoping for. Now I just have to find a friend who is willing to take me to surgery. Poor hubby is still in his recovery and not driving! And my usual go-to friend went to the hospital tonight with severe dehydration. Man, getting older for my group of buddies is taking a toll!!!
 
Shoot @Jamie I hope you find someone - if I lived closer I'd certainly offer :) I know what you mean - my closest friend just had to move into assisted living - and moved about 3 hours away to be closer to her family. Growing old is definitely not for sissies!
 
Thanks to both of you! We have lots of friends around so I'm sure I'll be able to find someone who can help out. That's my project for tomorrow is to get someone locked in.
 
Best hopes for you Jamie!

I'm scheduled for second one on March 16 but I'll be having massive rotator cuff repairs along with spurs removed. Though doctor said since we are using "biological" this time recovery will be easier than first. I'm not sure. First was just arthroscopic. This time repair work for cuff Erik be arthroscopic but plans to do open repair to reattach the bicep muscle.

My only addendum to above is that even at eight weeks out I'm still waiting for the"feel better" like that miraculous feel better immediately after hip surgery. The shoulder feels about same pain level but different pain with promise that this is normal and shoulder surgery takes 12-18 months to get full strength and range of motion back. Physical therapy has been really very challenging with progress measured in millimetres. But alas, as you know, I am not one who has much patience with recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thinking of you @Jamie and hoping all goes well for you....
You are right.... Growing old together can be difficult!!! Xxxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Everything went well with the surgery and I'm home. My orders were to do non-stop rest and ice with the ice machine this weekend, so I won't be on BoneSmart much to tell the story. But I learned SOOOO much from my medical team. They spent extensive time explaining and talking to me about the whole process....so much so that I plan to write some material for our Library on all I learned. I also ended up with a narrated video of my surgery which I'm going to try and post in a few days. It is very interesting....not at all bloody and shows exactly what was done.

The doc and anesthesiologist both insisted that I start on pain meds quickly and stay on a schedule. Now where have I heard that before? So, I'm on Norco 10mg every 4 hours and 24/7 DonJoy ice machine.

Time for another movie and a nap!
 
Jamie,
Good to see you posting, glad you are doing well. Looking forward to hearing your story and seeing your video when you are able to post.
Enjoy your movie and nap,
Chris
 
I'm glad to know it went well, Jamie! Enjoy your movie and nap. You've certainly earned them both.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom