A Shoulder Saga

@Jamie, I hope your shoulder will behave as long as you need it to! You have your hands full right now.
 
Thanks to both of you! We appreciate the thoughts and prayers. And the old shoulder seems to be hanging in there just fine. I just have to watch not to do too much with it and cannot really lift my arm above shoulder height. There are worse things in life! I'll cope!
 
Oh Jamie I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. Sending prayers to you both


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, Jaime, I am so very sorry for both you and your husband with the recurrence of the cancer. I wish you both the strength you will need and then some more strength to find peace and enjoyment for the time you have left together. What you have done to bring me and others here strength, peace and enjoyment of life will hopefully be showered on you in abundance.

Yes, you can do shoulder recovery on your own --- and Bonesmartees here to help! Hopefully the shoulder "will hang in there" -- both literally and figuratively. :heehee: Best wishes.
 
My second cortisone shot lasted about a week, and maybe I was imagining that. I have definite limited range with my left arm/shoulder and pain if I move it wrong. I’ve had left knee and hip replacement; hip was 8 weeks ago so I want to try to wait until spring to even consider shoulder surgery. Besides not using the arm at all, any suggestions to find comfort? I will try the pillow under the shoulder idea. . . The pain wakes me up every night. I plan on contacting my shoulder OS tomorrow to see what he might suggest. Thanks!
 
@Atkinson8 ---- I don't seem to feel as though I get much relief from cortisone shots and never know if I imagine that or not. Looking back, my surgeon did a cortisone shot for my right shoulder after the surgery on my rotator cuff on the left.

With your post above and looking back, I don't know how I would have been able to make it the 12 weeks he insisted on between left and right shoulders. The pillow under the shoulder to attempt to be able to lie down worked some -- I also spent money nights sitting up on our puffy leadther couch with my right shoulder pinned in position between my body and back of couch essentially holding it into proper position. Does that make sense? I was not able to sit in my go-to recliner as it didn't keep arm in position. As bad as that recovery from shoulder was, I was in much more pain for the 4-5 months before I was able to schedule it. Even with surgeries close together, I would schedule asap. It was most painful before and after and a challenging hard work recovery.
 
My poor shoulder saga will hopefully finally be coming to an end. The problems started with a "trashed" shoulder joint back in 2015 and now I'm scheduled for a shoulder replacement on February 22nd. My sweet husband died a year ago and I'm now ready to get this done.

My surgeon did a great job of keeping the shoulder going while I cared for my husband. But he warned me that, because I have waited so long to get it replaced, the recovery will likely be more difficult. Oh joy! It makes sense, though. Although he feels I have still not damaged the rotator cuff and I can have a regular implant (not a reverse shoulder replacement), my "babying" of the joint has allowed the muscles to atrophy significantly. Stretching everything out again and gaining my strength back will take a year or more, so he says. I will have 6 weeks of immobility (YUK!!!!) and then at least 3 months of 3-times-a-week physical therapy that will hurt. At least he is honest!!!

So......I'm looking forward to a recovery this Spring and anxious to be able to use that shoulder and arm to its fullest again.
 
Last edited:
Wow Jamie - sounds like a complicated recovery! Hope it all goes well!
 
Best wishes! I’ll be following your recovery.

And PT really is important on this issue, correct? And pain is to be to be expected also? I think I read on another thread that Josephine said this is appropriate for upper limb issues, as compared to being told the same thing about our knee rehab.

And I’m so sorry about your husband. :console2:
 
Jamie,
Glad you are moving forward with your shoulder replacement, looking forward to hearing about your recovery. We only have a few threads here, seems everyone does very well with time. :yes:
 
Therapy is definitely needed for a shoulder. If you were to take the "rest and let it heal first" approach," you'd likely end up with a shoulder that wouldn't move - frozen. Exercises are simple. I have a pulley that you hook over a door (I put mine on my armoire door), sit in a chair and use your good arm to pull the other arm straight up. I used it for my previous arthroscopic surgery. That is the ONLY activity the shoulder is to have for six weeks. The rest of the time it will be in a sling and velcroed to my chest. That's the part I dread most. I'm going to have to try and work some magic with Home Health services. I can't afford to board my dog for 6 weeks and she needs to do short walks out in the front yard. I hope to be able to use a neighbor teen to do that at least part of the time. The problem is, she never has walked on a schedule for the 11 years of her life, so it would be hard to train her to that now. It will all work out. I plan to board her for at least 2 weeks and maybe 3 if needed until I can figure out my schedule.
 
Good luck with the surgery, Jamie. At least you have a little time to get the details worked out. My right shoulder is giving me troubles again -- my surgeon did a shot about a year and a half ago which has tided me over well. When my health care mess gets straightened out, I'll be asking for a referral to him to investigate what's going on and devising a plan to take care of it. The biggest challenge seems to be the deltoid muscle attachment point. That has troubled me for at least 20 years (saluting was excruciating sometimes). But I also feel something inside the joint, too. My stepdaughter had rotator cuff surgery a year ago and is still not fully recovered. Shoulders are tough.
 
Oh Jamie, I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing this. I didn't have a replacement, but I did have a 4 hour surgery repair to it. I was in a body pillow and sling for 8 weeks and went to PT for about a month. I did the rest myself. I have the bands and did the exercises that were printed out for me, but not much of them. It's a lot like the knee and it will come back when if you use it. It was about a month after getting out of the sling before I could lift my arm above my waist, but after that, it rehabbed pretty quickly.

You've had two knees replaced, you'll do great with the shoulder!
 
Last edited:
Best wishes for the shoulder surgery, Jamie. Please don't forget to remind us nearer the date in February.

Will you be able to have help at home with showering and dressing? I think you'll need help for those at first, although a teenager would probably do a good job of walking your dog.
 
Aww, Jamie, I'm so sorry.
I had no idea you've been struggling and for years, no less.
Thankfully you have surgery scheduled and are formulating plans for your recovery.
That means relief is in sight. You know we'll be your biggest cheerleaders.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort as you await your February date.
@Jamie
 
Will you be able to have help at home with showering and dressing? I think you'll need help for those at first, although a teenager would probably do a good job of walking your dog.
I will be able to have Home Health service for as long as I need it. That includes physical therapy, occupational therapy, bath aid and a nurse. They keep you pretty busy with all the visits, but I think I will really need it. Even changing my underwear and sweats will be a challenge!!
 
What's that old saying...."Life is what happens when you're busy making plans." So goes my saga. I had my hospital pre-assessment on Friday and the nurse checking me in was not cooperating with my plan. She indicated I'd probably go home Saturday after my Friday surgery and no Home Health!!! She was totally clueless as to what it means to be by yourself with only one arm and hand available for activities of daily living! Her "solution" was "can't you just have a friend come by to check on you every day?" Yeah, right.....for six weeks??? I don't think I have enough good friends to make that work. She told me no bath aide and I could just take sponge baths for 6 weeks. And....I could wait to wash my hair....WHAT??? SIX WEEKS???? I must wash it every 3 days or I turn into an "oil farm." I tell you, she really added a pile of stress to my preparations.

I thought I was so smart to purchase a battery powered can opener that you just place on top of cans and it does the rest. But during my one-handed test I discovered that it has no shut off (it just keeps running until you get it off the can) and the magnet that grabs the lid is so strong that you cannot lift the opener off the can when it's running. If you try and shake it loose, the can contents go everywhere. I tell you, it's a Chinese plot to drive Americans crazy. So I need to minimize my use of cans for that six week torture trial. (or as the nurse suggested....just have one of my friends pop over to open the can for me) :gaah:

I'm trying to retrain my spoiled brat dog to go outside in the fenced back yard instead of out front on the leash. She hates it, though, and wants me to go out with her. I've figured out that if I had a poncho I could put on, I could easily walk out on the top deck to coax her to go down and potty. What a brat!!!! So, I found two inexpensive ponchos to buy. The one that you put over your head won't work at all as it bunches up at the top of my back and I can't reach it to pull it down and in place. The one that has a "frog" clasp in front is possible sort of. Maybe I'll get better at swinging it around me with some time. Both ponchos don't slide very well over the big flannel shirt that I have to wear to cover me and my slinged arm. My two new HUGE flannel shirts are good, though. Nice and soft and tent-sized. I can get them on and buttoned with one arm! Victory!! They are a Big and Tall Men's size 2X large and they come down almost to my knees! Guess that will be okay if I decide I don't want to try and put on sweat pants some days.

Maybe I'm making too much of the unknown here, but it does seem that recovery from a shoulder replacement is going to be a lot more challenging than my knee replacements. Most of the problems stem from being alone and losing the use of both arm and hand on the left side for 6 weeks. I'm hoping that the reality won't be as bad as what I'm imagining. I mean, I can't open bottles, jars or even zip lock bags! I can't put new sheets on the bed. I may be able to sit on a chair in the kitchen and put the items I need to get into between my knees to hold them. And maybe I can wrestle the fitted sheet on with one arm and just leave the top sheet and comforter loose.....sigh......It's going to be a real learning experience.

I'm trying to contact the social worker at the hospital to talk with her about home health services. Hopefully she will reassure me that the check-in nurse was simply clueless in her comments and I will be able to get that assistance.
 
No home heath seems a bit ridiculous. I hope you get better help from the social worker!
 
Of course you will have home health, you will be homebound, and need help. Nursing, PT, and OT will have to come to the house. You should also have and aide for bathing.
It is my understanding Medicare will cover all of the above.
6 weeks of a sponge bath with one hand, yeah right.
Can you hire some one to help, walk the dog etc.
Do you have lifeline or similar so you can call for help?
Guess the nurse thinks you can always use your teeth for an extra hand.
 
l do have lots of great friends I can call. Most live nearby and would be here in a minute. It's just that I would never burden any of them for "daily visits for 6 weeks!" That is not reasonable. The social worker was in training all day so tomorrow will be the soonest I could hear from her. I am going to hire the kids across the street to walk Toodie some of the time. That should help. But she's one spoiled dog who operates on her schedule and expects mom to be right there with her to tell her what a great dog she is when she chooses to do her business outside. I created this monster!!! :heehee:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom