BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

A Shoulder Saga

Discussion in 'Shoulder surgery pre-op area' started by Jamie, Jul 30, 2015.

1. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Jamie, I hope your shoulder will behave as long as you need it to! You have your hands full right now.

2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Thanks to both of you! We appreciate the thoughts and prayers. And the old shoulder seems to be hanging in there just fine. I just have to watch not to do too much with it and cannot really lift my arm above shoulder height. There are worse things in life! I'll cope!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. susanne

susanne post-grad

Oh Jamie I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. Sending prayers to you both

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

4. Me2

Me2 post-grad

Oh, Jaime, I am so very sorry for both you and your husband with the recurrence of the cancer. I wish you both the strength you will need and then some more strength to find peace and enjoyment for the time you have left together. What you have done to bring me and others here strength, peace and enjoyment of life will hopefully be showered on you in abundance.

Yes, you can do shoulder recovery on your own --- and Bonesmartees here to help! Hopefully the shoulder "will hang in there" -- both literally and figuratively. :heehee: Best wishes.

5. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 junior member

My second cortisone shot lasted about a week, and maybe I was imagining that. I have definite limited range with my left arm/shoulder and pain if I move it wrong. I’ve had left knee and hip replacement; hip was 8 weeks ago so I want to try to wait until spring to even consider shoulder surgery. Besides not using the arm at all, any suggestions to find comfort? I will try the pillow under the shoulder idea. . . The pain wakes me up every night. I plan on contacting my shoulder OS tomorrow to see what he might suggest. Thanks!

6. Me2

Me2 post-grad

@Atkinson8 ---- I don't seem to feel as though I get much relief from cortisone shots and never know if I imagine that or not. Looking back, my surgeon did a cortisone shot for my right shoulder after the surgery on my rotator cuff on the left.

With your post above and looking back, I don't know how I would have been able to make it the 12 weeks he insisted on between left and right shoulders. The pillow under the shoulder to attempt to be able to lie down worked some -- I also spent money nights sitting up on our puffy leadther couch with my right shoulder pinned in position between my body and back of couch essentially holding it into proper position. Does that make sense? I was not able to sit in my go-to recliner as it didn't keep arm in position. As bad as that recovery from shoulder was, I was in much more pain for the 4-5 months before I was able to schedule it. Even with surgeries close together, I would schedule asap. It was most painful before and after and a challenging hard work recovery.

7. Jamie

My poor shoulder saga will hopefully finally be coming to an end. The problems started with a "trashed" shoulder joint back in 2015 and now I'm scheduled for a shoulder replacement on February 22nd. My sweet husband died a year ago and I'm now ready to get this done.

My surgeon did a great job of keeping the shoulder going while I care for my husband. But he warned me that, because I have waited so long to get it replaced, the recover will likely be more difficult. Oh joy! It makes sense, though. Although he feels I have still not damaged the rotator cuff and I can have a regular implant (not a reverse shoulder replacement), my "babying" of the joint has allowed the muscles to atrophy significantly. Stretching everything out again and gaining my strength back will take a year or more, so he says. I will have 6 weeks of immobility (YUK!!!!) and then at least 3 months of 3-times-a-week physical therapy that will hurt. At least he is honest!!!

So......I'm looking forward to a recovery this Spring and anxious to be able to use that shoulder and arm to its fullest again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wow Jamie - sounds like a complicated recovery! Hope it all goes well!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes! I’ll be following your recovery.

And PT really is important on this issue, correct? And pain is to be to be expected also? I think I read on another thread that Josephine said this is appropriate for upper limb issues, as compared to being told the same thing about our knee rehab.

And I’m so sorry about your husband. :console2:

10. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Jamie,
    Glad you are moving forward with your shoulder replacement, looking forward to hearing about your recovery. We only have a few threads here, seems everyone does very well with time. :yes:

11. Jamie

Therapy is definitely needed for a shoulder. If you were to take the "rest and let it heal first" approach," you'd likely end up with a shoulder that wouldn't move - frozen. Exercises are simple. I have a pulley that you hook over a door (I put mine on my armoire door), sit in a chair and use your good arm to pull the other arm straight up. I used it for my previous arthroscopic surgery. That is the ONLY activity the shoulder is to have for six weeks. The rest of the time it will be in a sling and velcroed to my chest. That's the part I dread most. I'm going to have to try and work some magic with Home Health services. I can't afford to board my dog for 6 weeks and she needs to do short walks out in the front yard. I hope to be able to use a neighbor teen to do that at least part of the time. The problem is, she never has walked on a schedule for the 11 years of her life, so it would be hard to train her to that now. It will all work out. I plan to board her for at least 2 weeks and maybe 3 if needed until I can figure out my schedule.

12. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good luck with the surgery, Jamie. At least you have a little time to get the details worked out. My right shoulder is giving me troubles again -- my surgeon did a shot about a year and a half ago which has tided me over well. When my health care mess gets straightened out, I'll be asking for a referral to him to investigate what's going on and devising a plan to take care of it. The biggest challenge seems to be the deltoid muscle attachment point. That has troubled me for at least 20 years (saluting was excruciating sometimes). But I also feel something inside the joint, too. My stepdaughter had rotator cuff surgery a year ago and is still not fully recovered. Shoulders are tough.

13. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh Jamie, I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing this. I didn't have a replacement, but I did have a 4 hour surgery repair to it. I was in a body pillow and sling for 8 weeks and went to PT for about a month. I did the rest myself. I have the bands and did the exercises that were printed out for me, but not much of them. It's a lot like the knee and it will come back when if you use it. It was about a month after getting out of the sling before I could lift my arm above my waist, but after that, it rehabbed pretty quickly.

You've had two knees replaced, you'll do great with the shoulder!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  14. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Best wishes for the shoulder surgery, Jamie. Please don't forget to remind us nearer the date in February.

Will you be able to have help at home with showering and dressing? I think you'll need help for those at first, although a teenager would probably do a good job of walking your dog.

15. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Aww, Jamie, I'm so sorry.
    I had no idea you've been struggling and for years, no less.
    Thankfully you have surgery scheduled and are formulating plans for your recovery.
    That means relief is in sight. You know we'll be your biggest cheerleaders.
    Sending a hug and wishing you comfort as you await your February date.
    @Jamie

16. Jamie

I will be able to have Home Health service for as long as I need it. That includes physical therapy, occupational therapy, bath aid and a nurse. They keep you pretty busy with all the visits, but I think I will really need it. Even changing my underwear and sweats will be a challenge!!