THR A new world..there better be coffee

Sleeping odd times all day
Took the occasional stool softener
Diarrhea
Threw out the stool softener
i know inflammation rules. Doc had to wrestle with shortened muscles
so tired
 
It sounds exhausting and exasperating. Hoping you can escape into longer and longer stretches of sleep...hugs.
 
Enjoy those naps! I know I did! When else are we able to nap in the morning and the afternoon?? :sleep:
 
Pain is exactly the same as preop but
worse
Icing. leg swollen groin horrific pain
Pain meds wont touch it though I have adhered to a 3000 mg a day schedule of Tylenol and 2 mg Dilaudid every 4 hours.

Not much sleep Unable to give instructions to hubby. He is having trouble understanding and hearing and forgets what he is doing

I have to keep reminding him
how exactly to help me. He has trouble
catching on and anticipating needs.
My leg is horridly swollen but not red or hot
It has bruising in odd places
 
@mainegirl1 How long are your icing sessions? Ice for at least 45-60 minutes several times per day.

You might want to contact your surgeon's office or your family doctor to get your pain medication tweaked a bit. Sounds like your pain is not well managed.
 
Icing when in chair so that is 23 hours a day.
Pain management worked till yesterday
 
doing less. yes still using walker
Tried to lay in bed and thats when everything went kablooey Trying to adjust ice which keeps falling through recliner
 
Last edited:
@mainegirl1 I'm sorry to ask you but just wanted to be sure that you have your leg elevated and not just the elevation provided by the recliner? For example, I used a king sized pillow and placed it lengthwise under my entire leg to get more height. You may be able to help move some of your swelling.

Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, or 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 5 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that I could get in the recliner the more effective this was.. you have lymph nodes seated there in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of sorts.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't have our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our actual movements keep it flowing.

If nothing else, this will keep you busy while recuperating. :ice:
I am so sorry to read that you are in such pain and that your husband is struggling, too.
Are you going to check in with your surgeon's office? It may be helpful to do so, there may be something they want to tweak.

Your daughter returned to her home, didn't she? Any chance of her coming to help for a few more days?
 
Good Morning,
I love CricketHips description above on how to get lymph fluids flowing effectively.
Something beneficial to concentrate on while in your resting in your comfy recliner.

It sounds like you could be in the ODIC. Wondering if you agree?
Going back to Wednesday, two days post op, you mentioned this -
put laundry away and then the PT and MD advice kicked in " Just cause you can doesn't mean you should" I put all the laundry away with no canoe or walker . I can walk steady unassisted but that is not good for my new hip yet.

This activity takes a lot of energy from a body trying to recover from a "controlled" trauma.

Thursday, at three days post op -
I want out of the house and already been to the market twice. Granted in a cart

Is the cart a motorized mobility scooter? The activity of getting in and out of a vehicle twice, in addition to any walking over what the Activity Progression for THR suggests, which is a walk about the house for 5 mins every hour, can wear the most active of us out.

Friday, four days post op -
Today a ride and one errand.. I am bored.. sick and tired of TV and knitting and heel slides.. and quad sets etc. I am off pain meds but may go back on as needed as my lower leg aches when I lie in bed!

Wondering what the errand was? You don't need to answer obviously but it could be contributing to the way you're feeling currently....the escalation in pain.

Saturday, day five post op -
I sure overdid this morning.. went with cane into a field to collect watermelon radishes

Again, way more activity than what's suggested in the Activity Progression for THR. I understand you're a physically active woman and you find it difficult to be held down but I believe Josephine based her Guidelines through many years experience working in Orthopedics. Naturally, it's a rough gauge. Some will excel, some will lag behind, but in an effort to avoid being sidelined by overdoing it, I'd try to abide by the guidelines for at least another few weeks. It also seems obvious you are under medicated given the pain you've described. Please consider calling the office of your OS in an effort to obtain some relief.

I hope you begin to find some relief soon and wish you a peaceful day of restorative rest.
@mainegirl1
 
Last edited:
@Layla

Your shoulders maybe to give you a hug?
It is all so deceiving

Smooth easy and then bam
On ice nest now comfy.
I find it very hard on my tight muscles to elevate feet above knees unless I look at the ceiling
The most comfortable is with op foot against medial non op knee
Like Tree pose but flat
I have not been able to do that for years
No doubt this is stretching things that are not used to being stretched
It is all adjusting
The massive swelling went away
Trying to use flat tree as a cat stretch. only momentarily. not sleeping like that

staples itch.
 
Aww, hugs to you @mainegirl1 :console2:

I think over activity can sneak up on us so easily. A little here, a little there all accumulating until our body finally says ENOUGH. We swell, we hurt, then we finally stop. It's great that you're icing almost non-stop. I did also and I'm convinced it helped me immensely. I wish I had CricketHips expert advice to apply during my early recovery, but I didn't.
It's good to read the swelling has gone. Josephine always equates swelling with pain. So hopefully the reduction in swelling is accompanied by lessening of pain. :fingersx:
Hang in there, you'll get there and soon be back to life as you know it. :friends:
 
Oh, boy, @mainegirl1, it does sound like a real roller coaster ride for you this first week! I found elevating my legs was difficult and obsessed with hip #1 whether failing to do that would doom my recovery (it didn't). The swelling did ease for me by the end of the first week and that did make things easier. I don't have any sane advice for you except keep your sense of humor and realize that this, too, shall pass. It does get easier from here on out. I totally get the boredom of recovery, particularly early on when you really are not very mobile and, ahem, the tendency to overdo things is great. You will settle into a good pattern, I think, and then things will look up. Hang in there!
 
I too could have used CricketHip's advice. @mainegirl1 so sorry for your pain. I had unbelievable swelling twice leg size. Used compression stockings for 3 weeks.Overdid things as I think you have as I am an achiever and prone to overactivity but have since followed the philosophy here and have since altered my ways and but also we,hubby and I, are more solitary people and tend now to move about quietly to our own drum. You get there and better the journey be smooth, slow, steady and joyous rather than quick and afterwards painful and regressive. Rooting for you mainegirl1.
 
Hubby sent for more gel packs. Never occurred to me that I would be able to use four at a time
We dont have four
He went to drug store. It is a two hour round trip alas
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom