THR A new world..there better be coffee

A Belated Happy Birthday to you!

Good for you on taking it easy today. You need the rest. Ice tea with little umbrellas on the patio sounds nice. As does Netflix because fingers crossed it will hold you down and you'll drift off into a nice long restorative nap. Lol.
Well, a girl can dream, right? You are a wild one, mainegirl.

I'm one of those that likes Pumpkin but Pumpkin Spam. :eeeuw: Spam of any kind :sick:
Have a good one!
@mainegirl1
 
Hey there @mainegirl1
I HAVE joined you on the drug induced fog but but no nausea thanks to scopalamine patch. My typing is laughable. The OS came in and promised me that I could go home after a couple of PT sessions last night was a pleasant oxy fog
 
Hi, there, @mainegirl1 The Netflix and cool drinks sounds like a great idea! And are we really not supposed to walk without aids if we can? Gulp...within a few days I'd ditched the walker and while I walked slow, I didn't use anything to assist me. Oh, well, I am far enough out now that I suppose that rule isn't necessary anymore. Hang in there--early days yet!
 
And are we really not supposed to walk without aids if we can?
I was told to use a walker for the first 2 weeks. I thought it was for stability/fall prevention and I dutifully pushed the walker around (one-handed most of the time but didn't feel ready to go completely unassisted) but maybe it was also to ease up on the uncemented baby hip. Hmm... But no harm done for you.
 
I'm using the cane probs more this time because both hips are now bionic and I think I dropped it too fast last time .what I am going to do is wait till after my 6 week to go to PT.will have PT come to the house for gentle work for the first three weeks then wait and just do walking for 3 more weeks
What I really want to have PT do is get the most movement out of these hips once I'm cleared to drop my restrictions by the doc.
How will PT work for you, @mainegirl1 ?
 
@ahipgma If I do PT it will be for things like improving range so I could ride a horse and get on a bike
I was able to climb stairs well pre op
Nobody is coming to the house now or in six weeks
I have no restrictions and can lay op hip leg flat on side. Haven't done that for years
I want out of the house and already been to the market twice. Granted in a cart
See our procedures were different and if you have precautions for six weeks PT makes sense to wake up the muscles that have been on hold
@Barbaraj its too late to go back to walker!
Doc explained that less pressure would allow osteophytes better ops to grow into prosthesis.
He is strict about the overdoing I am
trying to baby my osteophytes as best I can mentally
 
If you have an iphone, you can use the already loaded free Health app and it will count all sorts of things. You tell it how you want the info (steps, miles, etc). I use the linked to Health iphone Bedtime and scroll down to click on more history, then click on Today. It will tell you how many miles and steps you have walked. LOL. You can just go into its calendar and go back to the day you got the phone! Sometimes (before my recent surgeries) , especially at Epcot, I was walking 12 -15+miles a day! Who knew?
 
And are we really not supposed to walk without aids if we can? Gulp..

If necessary, the majority of us could walk without our walker in short order. Its a choice, but most often recommended we use one. It's mainly for balance so we don't risk falling over if we're feeling off balance. Not because we're incapable of walking unaided. Also, some feel weak / tired after surgery due to anesthesia and pain meds, making it an added precaution.
 
My doc said none of the above.. He said it was to preserve a long heel stride. I can do a long stride heel to toe very well with a walker.At this stage it is just about impossible to take long even strides without an aid. I can potter around with short choppy steps.. and they are not heel to toe.
He does not want me to lose the heel to toe muscle memory in the healing process and would like me to use the walker for a week..better two even if I am running.
If I develop a short choppy gait that is an undesired muscle memory that must be retrained.
 
Well stated @mainegirl1 ! When you think about it? It makes a lot of sense.
You sound great. Makes me smile.:thumb:
 
P.S. but what Layla said is very accurate, many of us were stumbling around!
 
Surgeon's don't agree on everything as we read here daily.
We each need to do what our surgeon advises. In choosing mine I trusted and chose to follow his protocol and I believe most probably do the same.
 
Better than having regrets. :flwrysmile:
 
Hey mainegirl1 l'm home. So all good there can't believe my bowels were an issue to anyone but me but grateful for the nurses concern. (me+2 other ladies on ward conspired to be home despite not performing on the potty) But proud to announce , flags can be flown .
Unusual to be home and not do certain things. Appetite small, family seems worried that l'm not doing enough ( l am). Lecturing me as l'm sat wash, dressed, bedroom tidied downstsirs while daughters in PJs! Early days.
 
Families are sometimes the hardest to cope with . They mean well but some days you want them just to know what you need and to keep their mouth shut about what they think you should be doing.

Are you doing the tidying?? Maybe a bit much.. I did fold laundry today and make lunch. I am using a recliner but it is frankly a pain.. When I get up its got a hair trigger change of position and not the way I want it to.. And I have to stuff a lumbar pillow in it and a cervical pillow in it.. Then put it back in the correct position while wresting with the oversensitive controls and making sure I am not tangled in the phone cord
Getting up at 4 am to pee and having to deal with this and the dog decided he wanted to go out while every one else slept made me:censored:. So I just went to bed. Regular bed and like Tim Gunn Said " Make it Work"

Yesterday I did rest, receive a friend bearing blueberry bars, received several phone calls, napped and went out to dinner. Which actually was pain free and lovely ( aside from being too loud; whatever happened to quiet restaurants?) . I was tempted to tidy house but did not.
 
You're doing great, @mainegirl. Glad you were able to rest yesterday, but a friend visit with blueberry bars (sound delicious!) and a few phone calls sounds great. Amazed that you made it out for a pain-free dinner. I remember my first dinner out, about 9 days post surgery and it was wonderful to just get out of the house and eat a nice restaurant meal. I wasn't comfortable but brought a foam cushion and twitched around every 10 minutes or so to prevent significant aching. I agree with you about restaurant noise--I am willing to sacrifice fabulous food for a place where you can comfortably talk and listen to your dining companions. We also (yeah, we've totally turned into our parents...) started going to restaurants really early, 5'ish as they tend to be less crowded and thus less noisy. Have a great Friday.
 
Today a ride and one errand.. I am bored.. sick and tired of TV and knitting and heel slides.. and quad sets etc. I am off pain meds but may go back on as needed as my lower leg aches when I lie in bed! I am po'ed at the recliner. Getting up to pee means all the pillows fall apart at four am and I have to wake "office "staff or struggle to rearrange and the oversensitive controls of the recliner are annoying ( you can go from nearly vertical to upside down in one unfortunate finger touch).
Daughter going home tomorrow.. Hubby is stone deaf in bed. ( no hearing aids worn there)

I think I will delegate furniture.. Chair for reading. Recliner for daytime elevation and ice and bed for bed
I can sleep on back( or I am training to sleep on back) and also a little on op side but I get an ache in my op leg when I lay on non op side. ( the knee block pillow helps a little)

Oddly there is no bruising. How long does this take to show up?

Took full shower yesterday with no issues at all. And that dinner.. I was slid in a booth and actually forgot about the hip and nearly left the walker.
 
@mainegirl1 I was checking in to see how you were and wowsa you're bored with convalescing already! That's great!
I havent even begun! Laying around, having people bring me meals and fuss over me--- hmm going to enjoy that for a while!! But it sounds like your new hip is behaving like a dream, was this hip so much better than your knee? So glad you're doing well. For my entertainment, on youtube the are tons of mature women bloggers I love to watch, my crossword puzzles, and books to catch up on.
I had no bruising with my other hip and i
dont see any with the left either. The mere thought that I am done with both hips makes me a happy camper.
Have a great weekend!
 
Hi Mainegirl1,
Four days post surgery, and you sound like you are moving well. For someone with 17 canoes, who is an outdoor enthusiast, I can imagine any confinement is difficult for you. Thank you for remarking about your recliner issues. I wonder about getting one, because I can see a few replaced joints in my future. Once I have a surgery date, I will look at the library notes on it, too.
Has your knitting dried? What are you making?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom