Guest viewing is limited

THR A new world..there better be coffee

Thankfully you're getting to the origin of your pain it seems.
It sounds excruciatingly miserable and I feel for you. I sure hope the phone app, Calm, works.
I've found many lengthy music videos on YouTube. Most include picturesque photos or images moving gently across the screen that are rather hypnotic. Hopefully you find one that works well for you if the one you mentioned doesn't.This guy right here > :yawn: makes me tired. I think I yawn every time I post and look at it.
Silly, I know!
Wishing you a long comfy, cozy nap with Buddy.
@mainegirl1
 
@mainegirl1
So happy to see your post!! Was thinking about you this AM as I woke up with a lot of pain too, but you seemed to be struggling more and was hoping there could just be something that could be tweaked. So are you trading Eliquis for TEDS? I am on baby aspirin twice daily for anticoagulants, with the lovely knee hi TEDS. It's really something how different the courses for different surgeons are, but aren't you glad you called!? I know about these angry tissues, my poor almost 4 month old hip is hurting me a little too because of its having to be the " better" hip. All many good reasons to rest!!!
Our dear departed PJ, a poodle mix, always knew when someone was hurting and he'd stick close by to comfort. I hope this is the beginning of an upswing for you. My daughter uses "Calm" she has a stressful ICU job and a toddler. She finds it very helpful. Wishing you some nice painless sleep!:yawn::sleeep:
 
O Gawd NO trading!
I had TEDs post TKR
Too bad my forgetfulness kicked in and they went to live with bachelor socks on the deep recesses of the laundry room
No more experiments with not taking pain meds
 
Oh, boy, @mainegirl1 It all sounds very uncomfortable and painful! Do take those pain meds, and on schedule. My first week I think I undermedicated and was so miserable by week's end, all blubbery and unhappy. I hope the doctor can provide some good suggestions for relieving this situation. Not getting enough sleep must be exacerbating the situation as well. I am so sorry! Sending positive vibes your way today. Hang in there.
 
my knee is black
yep the one replaced
That hurts the most now
I ran out of hands to hold ice packs. one on back one on knee one on ankle and one on thigh
The rest of the leg is not discolored
Need an octopus
Hubby took me for car ride. Like a baby I fell asleep

No ice pack needed on hip curiously. Groin oain on vacation
 
@mainegirl1 ”Calm” sounds like a good idea. My friend (getting the hysterectomy) has fibromyalgia and uses a soundtrack when she is awake for pain management - it keeps the brain busy, apparently. She told me it has to be something she already knows so she can easily ignore it - fwiw.

I am sure you were able to relax a bit, getting out of the house, too. Thank goodness your husband can do this for you.

Thinking of you...
 
I've listened to calm, too. It's nice. I haven't opted to pay money for the more premium part yet.. have wondered if it's worth it? I have found many meditation and relaxation links or whatever they're called on youtube, too. And some last for a couple hours. I use them occasionally at work, too.

It's crazy how much they can help you relax. Your poor knee! My knee was so swollen and bruised, along with my ankle and foot. I continued to ice the hip though because if it's swelling there and gravity is dropping it downward??

Loved the image of you sleeping away in the car, reminds me of the day I was so sore and blue and my husband packed me up and drove me to Amish country to look at the farmland. He knows how to please a farm girl.

Hey, if you can't sleep, I can just ramble on and maybe that will do the trick?? :loll::bignono:
Glad you see the reasoning behind not skipping meds and also not skipping rope! (just checking)

I hope you can sleep and that you wake up feeling better tomorrow. :SUNsmile:

"see you" tomorrow..
 
Last edited:
1100 pm in PA, all ready to sleep. Praying that your poor bruised body gets some much needed sleep as well.
Can you wrap the leg with a light scarf to hold all the ice in place.a lightly wrapped Ace bandage would do as well.
Will check in tomorrow. Hugs and God bless!
 
Oh bless you @mainegirl1 i am sorry you are in so much pain. Its good you are seeing the surgeon and have some decent meds to help. I iced 24/7 for the first 2 weeks as it was the best thing for my pain and also kept everything raised on pillows to drain swelling which seemed to help. Not sleeping is horrible and unfortunately still struggling with that but the meditation apps do seem helpful. I am hoping you get relief very soon
 
Well I slept a little in my own bed. I woke maybe three times and went right back to sleep. I think a total of 6 hours.Curiously sleeping with legs elevated is not that bad. I don't have the pillow recommended on this site yet . Santa Amazon bringing it today. I have been cobbling together my own.. and even with safety pins getting up middle of night requires rearranging the whole bed upon getting back in. I am finding that the career of pillow and blanket remodeler is unsatisfying. Get the elevated pillow that is under Elevation here and be done with the mess of cobbling your nest. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/

The other issue is that I do thrash and actually spend time on the :yikes: operated side. Still have a black knee with a pale incision scar and the whole side of my leg feels achy.. And five minutes later all is comfortable. My foot is not as swollen and I can wear my Skechers.

You know if he can put up with my whining we might make it to our 50th Anniversary in Nov.

O @Fiona444 I am so sorry you are still having sleep troubles.. I bet like me you are wondering WHEN will this all be done?

My grandkids and daughter are here. We are going fishing.. The oldest grandson is 16 and in possession of his new drivers license.. We had outdoor plans for three days that now we have to scale back as we seem to be getting some UK type weather.. :loll:

@CricketHip Your jaunt to Amish farmland sounds lovely.. I would like to do the same too.. We have some scattered Amish and Mennonite families around but I really want to go to Aroostook County where there are several towns that are almost all Amish. The families mostly raise potatoes. Unfortunately Maine is a big state and the County is a five hour drive one way. I am planning on a fall trip there with camera. I do go to an Amish bakery an hour from here from time to time ( but not now) and a charcuterie with exquisite smoked sausages.. And their co op store is a gardeners dream with all sorts of efficient hand tools.. They also have some farm implements. The horse drawn snowplow works really well.

@ahipgma oh.. that scarf sounds involved.. and while I sleep hot and need a/c in the bedroom I think I would freeze.. But it gives me an idea If we had a gel filled stocking that you put your leg ( after putting the gel in the freezer)in like an Aircast that would be neat and efficient..

@Ptarmigan You brought back memories of the not too far past hysterectomy.. That one was a true piece of cake.. It involved joysticks, not saws and hammers.

Gotta go get coffeeeeeeeeee
 
Oh mainegirl1 so sorry to hear of all that pain. It must be so disheartening. It seems when we have surgery all past accidents, mishaps, other surgery, unresolved issues come alive and it becomes so unbearable.I am glad you found the meds to curtail some of the pain though I know it doesnt take away all and also the frustration especially if we have made progress. Take it easy, go smoothly and take care of yourself and learn to say no to things and people who may mean well but are really unaware. Be your own advocate and be selfish now.Your time will come to resume your place as before but for now heal.
 
6 hours of sleep! Well now.. that's a good start! But now you have me worried.. you are going fishing today? :yikes:

Please tell me you aren't walking over uneven ground and overdoing things.. I hope you don't hate me for asking but wow-wee, you are pushing the envelope a bit. Maybe you mean that you are riding along and observing? :praying:
Only asking because I care.
 
Good Morning, @mainegirl1
Six hours of sleep is a decent accomplishment this early on. Good for you!
I'm assuming you're waiting on the Lounge Doctor to arrive? I think you'll love it. I purchased it early on and I've never regretted it, only view it as a wise investment. However, unlike you I could never got used to elevating while sleeping overnight. It's just not comfortable enough to allow me to drift off.

I'd be remiss if I didn't express my concerns in regard to your planned fishing outing today. I agree with CricketHip on walking the uneven terrain. I know you're an accomplished outdooors woman but one unforeseen rabbit hole or twist of the ankle on something and the consequences could be dreadful. Can you be airlifted and dropped into a waiting lounge chair, on the shore? :heehee: Didn't think so...but thought I'd ask anyway.

If we didn't care about you, we'd ignore you and say "have fun!" But we do care so therefore we're concerned. Also worried with you being a passenger in the car of your 16 yr old grandson with wet ink on his drivers license. :yikes: You're a brave one, yes you are!
Possibly you may be a dear and reconsider on today's excursion? :chinstroke: One can only hope. If not,
I wish you safety, comfort, joy and enough fish for a good old fish fry tonight.
 
I dont have sidewalks or pavement
Walking is by necessity on uneven ground if I leave the house even to go to the doctor

My 16 y o grandson is an old lady driver
but wont be driving as he is prohibited from driving with his younger brother in the car who will go fishing too. Odd State rules!
We can also fish from our dock
When I had my knee done and on hiking poles PT was specifically walking carefully on uneven ground cause that is all we have
I am using hiking poles as they improve gait over a cane

Catch and release I believe. bbq chicken on the menu!
 
Well then you must be an accomplished trail blazer of rough and craggy terrain. I'll need to trust you more and worry less. I'm happy to read your using the hiking poles.

It must be relaxing to have a dock to fish from. Lucky you! Since you're catching and releasing I can't think of a better substitute for fresh fried fish other then a BBQ. Enjoy time with loved ones and have a wonderful day! :SUNsmile:
@mainegirl1
 
@Layla I sound like a bratty two year old
Fishing will be done by me from a supervisory anti gravity lounger for sure
And the poles are wonderful for security in any instance
I am glad I had the surgery in the summer
Come Nov there will be ice and a fall on ice is bad and even a fall with crampons can twist a new hip if they dig in

There a saying to always land on your butt or side


Not today!!
 
Hi, @mainegirl1 Must be fun to have your grandkids and daughter there, both for the company and, I hope, assistance with some of the chores around the house that they can do more quickly and efficiently since they aren't staggering around with a recovering hip. Have fun fishing today. And while six hours definitely isn't a lot of sleep, it is better than many, and I'm guessing you are pretty tired at night--it will get better, hang in there.
 
No, you don't sound like a bratty two year old but a woman with boundless energy who doesn't like to be stifled or held back. You'll get through this, you have before. Soon it will be just a blip on the screen.
Imagine how good you'll be feeling by the holidays and in 2020 there will be no stopping you! :wink:
 
Last edited:
Well, Be careful you brat! :loll: I agree with Layla.. you are independent and used to lots of activity. but you were in a lot of pain just a couple days ago.. so we worry.
It sounds like heaven, though. fishing off the dock. Have fun. :realing: But promise me there will be no :tennis2::tennis:
 
Plans went kerfooey!
Did 2 short errands at 2 farms buying eggs and corn
Came home had lunch and my recliner ate me.
2 hours solid zzzzzzzzzzzzz
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom