THR A new world..there better be coffee

Any frozen peas or corn in your freezer you can use in the meantime. It will probably not last as long but something to get you through while you wait.
 
Its already started.
From friends from away. You must work at PT!
From my surgeon: do these but not if it hurts ( a sheet of exercises)
 
From friends from away. You must work at PT!
Plugs ears - "la, la, la, la"! "Friends" mean well but how many of them have had a joint replaced. Listen to your body and if needed tell those friends you are doing this your way.

Is this the way you are lying flat?
[Bonesmart.org] A new world..there better be coffee


If so, please be very careful. It is not a good idea to twist your new hip this way so early out. First - new hips don't like this twist. Second, there is a chance of dislocation doing this so early out.
 
Consider telling well meaning friends that you're fully aware of what you need to do in your recovery offering every assurance that you're doing exactly what's best for you, nuff said.
Why is it so many make themselves an authority on other's recoveries...ugh!
 
Oh dear, a 2 hour drive for ice packs.. you really do live far from things!
Please hold on to those breathing tips.. it will help move the inflammation, too. It's not just for swelling..
Do them while picturing yourself relaxing in a canoe in smooth water... ahhhh :kayak:OK maybe not as fast as this person is going!!

Sorry you've had a set back, this too, shall pass.. If you recall I had a set back at 3 weeks and it was so very upsetting, yet somehow I'm now at 2 months and doing pretty well. It will pass.
 
Is this the way you are lying flat?
[Bonesmart.org] A new world..there better be coffee


If so, please be very careful. It is not a good idea to twist your new hip this way so early out. First - new hips don't like this twist. Second, there is a chance of dislocation doing this so early out.

My added 2 cents= even if your foot is placed lower on your knee, you are crimping your lymph nodes behind your knee and that will most definitely restrict lymph flow and the swelling will back up in your leg.

You are probably tired of all of the suggestions, sorry, but I also discovered when I lie down on my couch that if I take one of the back cushions and place it under my legs that it gives me great and comfortable elevation. I'm tall and it still keeps them relaxed and elevated very nicely

Take care, I hope you are napping and relaxing.
 
Hey there @mainegirl1
Just hopped on to your thread to see how my two days ahead sister is doing. So sorry to hear you've hit a snag in your recovery, but every piece of advice offered from the moderators was helpful also to me as I plod along behind you.
We want so desperately to be better after these joints that betrayed us are gone that sometimes we overdo. This recovery is different for me than my other one because I'm benefitting from what I learned last time and it's the mantra indeed, rest, ice ,elevate and take pain meds by the schedule. As an experienced nurse I had even more to learn about being a patient!!!
My home PT guy just came this morning and we talked a little bit about refusing PT moves that are painful. I quit outpatient PT because they were too rough and guess what?at 15 weeks out from hip #1 just the walking:walking: and gentle stretches did the job! Hang in there!!
 
it s not my first joint
The knee was nothing like this
There wasn't as much trauma to the knee
I used to be able to walk normally on walker
Now I cant pick my foot up
Been in bed a day
Hubby is very confused
Cramps and groin pain worse than pre op
Think some ligaments we're injured
 
Last edited:
You may be right about the ligaments...and it might not be surprising if they were. It sounds like your dislocation required more force than many do, so it’s possible there was some collateral damage. The good news is: ligaments heal - tincture of time.

Very relieved to hear your pain is managed, but still want to say don’t hesitate to ask for med adjustment at the first sign you’re undermedicated, because it takes time to put solutions in place - better to have it and not need it.
 
Hi again @mainegirl. I think your muscles are still in shock.. it's like they have forgotten how to move! I find it interesting that it didn't affect you this way with the knee. I think it took my muscles close to 10 days to 2 weeks to regain their functionality, to the point of lifting my legs with my hands to get into the car, etc. and you already were told that your hip was a tough one to work on, so that has to make a difference, too.

I'm so sorry and wish I could do something for you. Try not to worry, take it one day at a time. I hope you have been able to sleep this afternoon.
 
I can get into the car easy peasy and i can do full leg lifts from a chair with minimal discomfort but getting into bed is a slightly twisted motion that kills the ligament in the acetabulum. the teres?
Laying flat has the same effect
Elevation gelps but the back and side of my thigh is so sore its painful
Moral: notice your x rays. I have known for a long time the acetabular cup was very deep
 
Hmm, teres? That is one of the ligaments but they all definitely took some punishment during the surgery.
I found that, for myself, the primary issues were the rectus femoris tendon and the Iliopsoas.. those 2 rascals tighten up and don't like you lying flat when supine. Especially the Iliopsoas.. and I think it contributes to the back discomfort.
Whatever one it is, it needs to rest and be babied.. and iced. I will admit to you, I was super worried when I was still sore at week 3 and 4 but made myself scale back and did light circular massage on all of the muscles that I could reach on my thigh and now I am a pretty happy camper. I think you will be too. With time.
You will begin seeing incremental improvements and it will feel like it happened overnight and then again we will be cautioning you to slow it down. truth!! :flwrysmile:
 
No sleep tonight.
Narcotics and Tylenol even have no effect
My leg hurts everywhere but the hip and my back muscles are knotted Most pain in back of pelvis and knee
Feels like the leg cannot relax
 
Only One week out, My dear friend.
All temporary...:console2:

Different pain meds work better for different people. Perhaps you need to call in for better pain control.
Tramadol/Tylenol combo works well for many...I stayed on Dilaudid for first three weeks then transferred to this protocol.
When is your first post op appointment?

Your descriptions sound normal to me at this stage...not fun for sure.:sigh:

Feels like the leg cannot relax
This was also true for me.
We just have to get through these first rough weeks best we can.
It really is worth it.

Hugs and healing vibes coming your way.:angel:
 
This am I swung my op leg onto the bed( it does move at last) and screaming pain in the groin. Its 8 out of 10.. Phone call into nurse.

My muscles are all knotted and I am unable to relax. Post op appointment this Friday.. Two Dilaudid and no results..

I have to find some peace. My poor husband . He can feel the knots when he gives me a back rub which helps for a few minutes

My kneecap and back lateral to the sacrum is competing with the groin for pain queen.

Phone call completed and not sure what the outcome is.

Really feels like piriformis syndrome and the stretch to relieve that is probably not a good idea.. No precautions but groin pain would be worse..

I would like to walk more. My top walking steppage per day is 900.. Just icing for 22 hours a day is not helping..
 
Last edited:
So glad to hear that you put a call in to your surgeon.. Hopefully he can prescribe you something to help you get through the tougher days. I had that, too. the sacrum and low back competing with the pain of the groin pain.
I did some massage of my gluteals and piriformis using a ball against the wall. By leaning my butt into the ball and using the wall for controlled pressure I could relieve some of the tension there.
In fact one night I was upstairs in the bedroom and I guess the ball was downstairs so I literally grabbed my large vitamin bottle and used it! Desperate times, you know? :groan:
I have a nice massage type ball but others have said they've used a tennis or lacrosse ball. I think the lacrosse ball sounds harsh, but it's about the pressure used and I'm sure it's scaled back for that one!
I did that massage, like described
above, whenever I needed it but not to excess.. we don't want to punish the muscles, just ease some blood flow through them and help them ease up on their nasty grip.

I hope you get some good news form your Surgeons' office and you get something stronger for your current pain levels.
I'm so sorry to read that you are suffering so.
 
Checked in this AM- sorry you are not feeling well. The memories of this first couple of weeks in May are what made me anxious about hip #2 and sure enough the rough time is here again.
I have scheduled NSAIDs, tylenol. and as needed oxycodone and tramadol.
I take oxy in the AM, tramadol midday, and oxy at bedtime.
I dont know nearly as much about all the tendons and ligaments that can be affected as you do but is there a chance for home PT to come in and advise?
And lack of good rest just makes everything harder-- will pray for us both to get relief!:bored:
 
May have found culprit.
Its name is Eliquis
In order to enjoy the privilege of not having to wear TEDS at all I get Eliquis 2xday for a month
It is an anticoagulant and allows lots of fluid to accumulate where it is not wanted.. Like the outside of my leg and my back. Serum and blood is an irritant as far as I know.
Talked to OS.. the exercises are not an issue and its too early to force a healing hip into that tree pose it likes
The piriformis is angry.

I was out and about last week thinking I could get away with just Tylenol and for five days I did.. Now I am behind playing catch up though the surgeon did switch me to Oxy.. I see him in three days..

It seems the fluid is the culprit.. I might as well live in the freezer; wearing pants with pockets everywhere for ice.

@ahipgma since we both need sleep I was thinking of downloading the phone app called Calm.

I got two hours sleep.. My doggie ( Buddy in the pic) knows I am hurting and he is snuggling when he can though he does not want to climb on furniture. He is two.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom