Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR A New Day

I’m sorry to read this.
Have you seen the GP? You might find it helpful, once you get an appointment.
I only ask as my physio says my stiffness and ongoing pain on transfers is from internal inflammation and certainly I find ibuprofen helps me, and after trialling this myself I got to talk to the GP. I’m almost at 4 m, next week.
 
Are you able to email him with your thoughts? Possibly he could forward a few exercises for you?
May be worth a try, or just continue with the stretches, walks and bike rides until December.
@Jcx
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Would love to hear that you're feeling better since the last time you posted, Jcx :fingersx:
Best wishes for your December PT appointment, if it's still to come. Hopefully you're able to get an exercise plan to work at home, given the long wait time for appointments. That takes patience.

Looks like you're coming up on your one year anniversary next month. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a great 2026!
@Jcx

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Layla. Feeling a bit better and optimistic for 2026 and all it's challenges. Meet up with the physio in the gym and it was obvious I have a weakness in my operated leg. He has given me an exercise programme to try in the gym on a few machines. My gait has improved over the last few weeks so I will go to the gym walk and get out on my bike. Merry Xmas to you Layla and all my fellow bonesmarties. 2026 will be better for us all . Take Care jcx.
 
Thanks for the update, Jcx. Great news on an improved gait. Good luck with the exercise program you're following. We're rooting for you so stay in touch!
@Jcx
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
@Jcx … we’ll be hosting our annual New Year’s Eve party again this year. The party thread will be open for several days, so I hope you will come back and give an update there. It’s a great opportunity for our newer members to hear how some of our older members are doing with their joint replacements. Look for announcements here on the forum and in email for more information.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
One year since my revision and it's been a lot of ups and downs. Five years since my first TKR and what a rollercoaster ride it has been. I cannot say the revision has been a success but I can safely say I have seen a lot of improvement. Looking forward to more improvements in the next few months. Off to Tenerife for 11 days holiday for some winter sun. Take care jcx.
 
I understand those ups and downs, that’s what my PKR has been, and it’s almost 9 years for me. To be honest, I never thought mine would last this long.

Enjoy your winter sun trip, I think we all need a vacation at this point! We just had an ice storm last weekend in my area!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Happy One Year Anniversary, Jcx!
You've made progress and the fact that there has been a lot of improvement matters. Your body is still adapting and I'm sure you will notice more positive changes over the next months and year. Keep celebrating the wins and enjoy a well deserved holiday in the sun. Safe travels!
@Jcx
 
Enjoy your trip and more improvements yet to come!
 
I've been on two holidays abroad since my last post trying to enjoy my retirement and get on with my life. Knee still not 100% but it doesn't stop me from taking on tasks. This week I have built a new fence in my front garden with help from my wife. Been on a long solo bike ride around my neighborhood. Laid turf at my daughter's house with help from my wife. Going to take it easy for the next few days. It's been nearly one year and three months since my revision and I have an appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday. The question is has my revision been a success. I'm not sure the last five years have been hard. Firstly the failed knee replacement and now the new implant does not feel right. I will see what the surgeon says on Tuesdays but I don't think I would go in for another revision. Take care jcx.
 
I'm sorry to read that your knee isn't up to your expectation. Hopefully, as time goes on, it will get better. At least you are not letting it stop you! Doing things you enjoy is always uplifting!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
It can take surprisingly long sometimes to really feel like a new knee is "normal." And sometimes the "normal" becomes a little different than the old knee. With a revision, some of this can be the type of prosthesis used. But it's great that it's allowing you to do the things you want to do. I doubt that your surgeon would suggest another revision without you experiencing significant pain or immobility. I suspect the advice will be to just give yourself more time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Thanks Sistersinhim & Jamie time is what I have to give my knee. Seen the surgeon yesterday and his advice was stop the physio at the gym. Get some walking poles and exercise that way. He also said it will take at least 18 months for my knee to feel better after the revision. I have to see him again in 6 months for another review of how things are going. So it's going to be a case of wait and see. Take care jcx.
 
That is really interesting. I had a revision in September 2024 so I’m at the 18 th month mark and I feel my knee has really settled. The bend is less than the non revised knee but it does everything I need it to. Hopefully yours will get there too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
@Toothfairy I'm glad your knee has settled and your able to do what you need to do. My problem is the tight band feeling every other day. Hopefully in time it will ease off and I can put this knee malarkey behind me. Take care jcx.
 
My problem is the tight band feeling every other day. Hopefully in time it will ease off
It will. It just takes time. I had quite intensely with my first knee recovery. My surgeon and PT kept telling me to give it time -- but being impatient, I didn't believe that it would ever change. Probably took 8 or 9 months, but one day I suddenly realized that it was gone.
 
Jcx I like how you refer to it as malarkey - excellent description. I found just massaging my thigh then calf seemed to help me somewhat. Or it distracted me enough the tight feeling didn't bother me so much. Its at least worth a try.
 
Just received a letter off my consultant after my last visit. He mentioned in his letter that I have a "poor anteriorly offset". At the consultation he never mentioned it. The way forward for me is to stop the gym and walk on level ground. He is going to see me in six months time. Not doing well at the moment both mentally and physically. Can't see much changing with six months of walking. Take care jcx.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom