Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR A New Day

I'm sorry you're struggling mentally and physically at the moment, Jcx. Don't give up hope though because iwith the revision it may take even longer, like a year and a half to two years for full improvement and functionality. Hopefully with the changes you intend to make, your knee will feel more stable, and any other limitations you've struggled with will ease also. Keep us posted, we do care.
@Jcx
 
I am so sorry to hear this. Is there any opportunity to discuss this with the consultant? I hope that walking will help. That sounds very demoralising and frustrating. I hope you can pick yourself up and walk regularly and hopefully things will look better at your next review. Don’t give up.
 
@Toothfairy . I seen the consultant last month so another consultation on our NHS won't be until 5 months time. Not sure what just walking will do at the 16 month stage. I've tried cycling swimming and walking and have been going to the gym under the instruction of a physio for months. So walking on level ground is what I have to do. Not convinced it will put me in a better state but just keep the status quo. Take care jcx.
 
Have a look at my pilates teacher's free videos on YouTube ( Google Katja pilates and they come up).
She has a short side lying glute strengthening one with no squats, which is knee friendly. It will help to strengthen your muscles but shouldn't aggravate your knee.
It was my go to regime after my PKR and might help as well as walking.
 
Hi Jcx,
It's been a couple of months since we've heard from you. How is it going? I hope you're enjoying Summer to the best of your ability and staying cool. I know you've experienced some extreme heat this Summer as many of us have in the states. Hope you're doing well!
@Jcx
 
Hi Layla,
Thanks for asking enjoying the weather and staying cool. Back from holidays a few weeks ago in Tenerife and planning our next one. The knee has been giving me grief since I had the replacement and revision. Don't understand the surgeons prognosis of a poor anteriorly offset. Stopped going to the gym and trying to walk a lot more. It gets me down sometimes but I'm not going to let it beat me. Hope you and my fellow bonesmarties are keeping cool. Take care jcx
 
The knee has been giving me grief since I had the replacement and revision. Don't understand the surgeons prognosis of a poor anteriorly offset.
I’m so very sorry indeed to read this @Jcx , can you get a second opinion?
 
@Legseleven ,
It's been nearly 18 months since my revision and I see my surgeon in October. I will see what he says and a second opinion will be my next move.
Take care jcx.
 
I'm sorry to hear this news. When you say its been giving you you grief, do you mean swelling or hurting? Or both. Unstable? How is your gate when your walking? I ask because maybe using your cane will help you a teeny bit until you see your surgeon. Its just a thought. I find that when I give in and use my cane my posture is better, my gate improves as does the stride I'm taking. I guess I feel more confident, but I don't understand why. But, like I said, that's me. I'm only offering a suggestion.

Your attitude is as it should be, great. Hang in there.
 
Hi there, :wave:
I hope you had a nice holiday in Tenerife. It's wonderful that you're enjoying life in spite of your knee still bothering you.

At your October appointment, consider asking why you weren't told in person about the "poor anterior offset" and whether he feels it's the primary cause of your ongoing symptoms.

Also, please give some serious thought to meeting with a surgeon who specializes in revisions for a second opinion. It may be beneficial to have a fresh set of eyes on the case, giving you a careful examination and ordering any X-rays or tests that may lead to the origin of your pain and a solution to resolve any issues. It doesn't mean a revision is inevitable, you're simply collecting information. It would be nice for you to enjoy your days and vacations to the fullest, without any pain.
Thanks for the update. Stay in touch and have a nice week, Jcx.
@Jcx
 
@eaglemom , The cane advice is something that could work for me also. The surgeon advised that I should use Nordic walking poles on my long walks on a flat terrain. So one walking stick would probably help on shorter walks. My knee is stable it's just the uncomfortable feeling that I get in it when I walk. One day it's tight band and the next it's more manageable. I can predict what my knee is going to be like on any given day. It's a cycle that has been with me since my first operation. Out for lunch today with family so things aren't all bad. Thanks Layla and legseleven for your input it's greatly appreciated. Take care jcx.
 
The surgeon advised that I should use Nordic walking poles on my long walks on a flat terrain. So one walking stick would probably help on shorter walks.
I bought a pair of not-very-expensive trekking poles that had good reviews, and used both while walking outdoors on our street.

I had read online that using both helps even the gait, where using one or a single cane could still lead us to 'favor' the operated leg. I found that to be true and have stuck with the poles.
 
@alex_mom , Your post was very interesting and everything you wrote makes sense. I'm a stubborn old darn and try not to use any aid. But if it helps my recovery I've giving everything a go and I mean everything. Going to the coast today and I'm going to take my walking poles. Weather here is very good not to hot so a long walk is on the cards. With a few stops for refreshments and take in the scenery. Take care jcx.
 
Hope you enjoyed your walk at the coast yesterday. Wondering if you used the walking poles and if so, how did you feel about it, and how are you doing today? Wishing you a good week, Jcx!
@Jcx
 
@Layla , I did take my walking poles with me and walked at the coast. The terrain was flat and I walked quite a distance. The poles helped with my walking and my gait and I am going to go again in the near future. Taking it easy this weekend but doing a bit of gardening. My knee is still not were I want it to be but still hoping time will improve it. Take care jcx.
 
Your recovery is still going on, and you should see some improvement every month.
 
My knee is still not were I want it to be but still hoping time will improve it.
I think it will. You've only just passed the six month point of what is a year long recovery for most.
Hang in there! :thumb:
 
I did take my walking poles with me and walked at the coast. The terrain was flat and I walked quite a distance. The poles helped with my walking and my gait and I am going to go again in the near future.
Sounds like you had a very nice time. Well done.

It took me a while to learn to walk with the poles, and I still have to pay attention that they don't get tangled up around my ankles and cause a fall in the street. (Eeek!) For me, learning to walk with them is a bit like walking and chewing gum at the same time.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom