Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR A New Day

Week one after TKR revision and it's all coming back to me. Log leg and so on reminds me of what it was like the first time around. Had my revision at the NHS. hospital in Newcastle and they do things in a different way. Firstly for knee replacement you basically come out of hospital with a pair of crutches. I asked for a leg strap raised toilet seat bed rail and a high backed chair. You only get these if you have had a hip replacement the physio said we like to keep your leg moving. Bollocks I said who ever made these rules has not had a TKR. Over the weekend my wife and daughter has begged stole or borrowed in my mind basic equipment. I am going to put a complaint into the hospital for my barbaric treatment on discharge. In a lot of pain but hopefully this will improve with time. Take care jcx.
Interestingly my experience in Southampton was the same but I was aware in advance so I could get bits set up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
4 weeks today since I had my revision and doing just ok. First week was bad but everything has settled down and I've got a bit of a routine going on. My wife took me out in the car yesterday and we went to our allotment. Chickens are doing well and the land is warming up for planting. Struggled a bit to get in and out of the car then walked down a small incline to the allotment and back uphill to the car park. I said at the start of this post I was doing just ok because things aren't happening quickly enough. The TKR recovery was horrendous but the revision is horrible that's how I am relating to the two operations so far. Got a be a bit more patient and go with the flow . Knee is probably were it should be at 4 weeks zero and ninety at the moment. Take care jcx.
 
Thanks for the update. I know you realize, it's still early days, so I won't remind you of that, lol. :wink:
You're doing well and it's good to read that you're getting out of the house and engaging in activity even when it's a bit of a struggle. It helps to feel like you're part of the world. Wishing you comfort and patience as you slowly regain all you've been missing. It Will Come! :SUNsmile:
@Jcx
 
Happy One Month Anniversary a couple days early.
I hope you have a nice weekend! :)
@Jcx
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Thanks I will but we just have had a family emergency. My sister who had an unsuccessful TKR five years ago has fell and broke her patella. Her husband has dementia and I can't help out so he might have to go into care.
 
Last edited:
I am sorry you're dealing with a family emergency, Jcx.
I hope all works out for the best for everyone. Take care.
@Jcx
 
I pray for your and your sister's healing. It seems like when it rains, it pours. But, your healing comes first! Don't do anything to hinder that.
 
@sistersinhim feeling frustrated not being able to help out at my sister's. My wife is going to help out when she can. There is always someone worse off than yourself. My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering. Take care jcx.
 
Seven weeks since my TKR revision and went to hospital today for a review. Had an x-ray and thought I was going to see my consultant but seen by a orthopedic nurse. Everything is where it should be and I have to exercise four times a day. Before I do I must take my morphine before I start my exercises. I will do more exercises but at a bit more sedate pace. Going to start physio next week also so I will see how it all goes. Take care jcx.
 
Hello Jcx,
Did they give you a reason why they want you to take morphine before you exercise? It may not be the best idea because it can mask the pain. Pain is your body's way of signaling your limits. If you don't feel discomfort you can easily overdo it and that can lead to injury or even setbacks. Something to consider.
I hope you have a good week!
@Jcx
 
Hello Layla. The reason for the morphine was to help me push through the pain and discomfort of the exercises. I took her advice onboard and dismissed it because of the reasons you gave above. I think I have a high pain threshold and I know my limits. I will up my exercises and physio at my own pace and as I have learnt with bonesmart not to be bullied. Take care jcx.
 
YES! I am very happy to read this.
It may save you from a set-back or stint in the dreaded ODIC (Over Did It Club)
Have a great day! :SUNsmile:
@Jcx
 
Nearly eight weeks since my revision and had my first physio yesterday. It all went well I did most of what I was asked to do. Going back tomorrow it's going to be twice a week for six weeks. Happy to go and hopefully it will put me on the road to recovery. Also I went out today by myself and even used public transport to get home . Take care jcx.
 
Wonderful report especially being able to do public transport. You are on your road to recovery so continue to remember slow and steady will get you there. :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Jcx!
I hope the pysio is going well. You're making some great strides on your way back to living a full life.
May Summer 2025 be one of your best.
Enjoy the weekend!
@Jcx
 
@Layla Physio is going ok and I have had two sessions up to now. The NHS in my area have allocated me eight. In between I am exercising walking and riding my stationary bike. It's my football teams victory parade today and unfortunately I can not attend because of my knee. So I will be celebrating from home with a few drinks. Cheers well done Newcastle United.
Take care jcx.
 
Thanks for sharing an update with all!
Enjoy watching the victory parade...on tv, I'm assuming.
Drink responsibly, :martini: We don't want any tipping and falling with the new knee.:wink:
Cheers :cheers:
@Jcx
 
10 weeks after my revision and not much has changed. Saying that I'm sleeping better and went for a long walk yesterday. Physio is going well and I have two sessions to go. Can't wait for the day when my knee is the last thing I think about not the first. Feeling positive and the weather in England has changed for the best. Time for to get outside and enjoy the sunshine and plant vegetables in my allotment.
Take care jcx
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom