TKR A New Day

Hooray, SisterPat! I hope you find it very comfortable! You’re right that the box spring is unneeded, so if one is buying anew one has no need of one... I raise the head end a bit during allergy season to aid my breathing at night and now raise the foot for my knee’s benefit.
Am sending prayers for a sweet and restful sleep tonight!
 
Thank you Barbara! Now, a question - I couldn’t keep the danged sheets tucked! Every time I raised the foot they became undone and I spent part of the night trying to resettle them. Is there a solution to that? I did spend much of the night trying different settings for comfort, so I guess it wasn’t a total success, but at least I stayed in the bed till morning! Any suggestions would be appreciated from you or anyone who has an adjustable bed!
 
In my case, I found two solutions: bigger sheets and not tucking them in! I have a comforter with fake down that has a bit of heft to it, so that, tossed atop the sheets, has worked. It holds things mostly in place! I had to buy new sheets pre-surgery as I was told to change them every day for 3 days just prior to surgery. So one set I bought at a king size, and though they hang down low when the bed parts are all horizontal, when it’s raised, they make it not matter if they aren’t tucked in.
 
I also just read yet another solution. Tie a knot at both bottom corners, then tuck the knots into the bottom fitted sheet. So I’m giving that a go tonight. It’s a quick and inexpensive fix. I’ll let you know if it works.
 
I have an adjustable bed and it has worked really well with my new knee. I don’t use a top sheet. I just have the fitted on right now. I have two blankets and I keep them at my ankles with my feet out uncovered. I have socks on which keep my feet warm. At first having something on my toes was really uncomfortable for me and interfered with my sleep but like this I find I’m messing less with my covers.
 
Good suggestions, Mar! I was wearing socks when I slept in the recliner, but last night in the new bed I didn’t - and regretted it all night :hissy:
You can bet I’ll wear them tonight.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
Have you tried not using fitted sheets?

Using a larger sheet top sheet and maybe tying them should allow for the bed to go through all of it's motions without the elastic that's on a fitted sheet wanting to pull off. Also, if it's large enough and enough of it is under the mattress, it shouldn't pull out while you are in it. The only downside I see is that perhaps there may be too much slack when you are in a prone position but if you are on the bed, I would think that would be fine.

My hospital bed and most hotels don't use fitted sheets. One, because they don't have to have two different sheets so they are all the same but two, because they can tuck deeper under that adjustable bed mattress.

I am so happy you at least stayed in bed until morning outside of a few issues!
 
Thanks, Merlin! Actually, the bottom, fitted sheet stayed in place. It was the top sheet that pulled away. I have tied the knots and tucked them inside the fitted sheets so am hoping that will fix one issue. The blankets will be something else. But it’s the FIRST time I’ve stayed in the bed all night since my f replacement in January! So here’s to tonight! :dancy: :dancy:
 
Actually, very well! Sheet stayed put. Blanket not so much but I didn’t secure that. However, the knee was so uncomfortable during the night I couldn’t stay in the bed anyhow :hissy: ! Maybe tonight.
Raining AGAIN here and it affects both knees, I think. Anyone else have that experience?
 
Raining AGAIN here and it affects both knees, I think. Anyone else have that experience?
Yes, a lot of people find their knees are affected by the weather - and some do not.

My mother had both her knees replaced in her eighties and she always complained that her knees were affected by rain and cold. I have two TKRs and I don't notice any difference in my knees when the weather changes.
 
Celle, maybe the gray days have just put me in a psychological FUNK :tantrum::censored:
 
Raining AGAIN here and it affects both knees, I think. Anyone else have that experience?
My knee hurts with most storm and barometric changes. Right now my surgical foot is taking most of the brunt of the winter weather and storm heading our way
 
I’m with you, Pumpkin! I need some SUNSHINE!
 
Yes, weather bothered my knee, not as often now.

Also, just cold weather, even the refrigerator section of the grocery store still does bother my knee, and it’s 4 years old!:bawl:
 
Yes, weather bothered my knee, not as often now.

Also, just cold weather, even the refrigerator section of the grocery store still does bother my knee, and it’s 4 years old!:bawl:
I had to laugh about the grocery store because when I went on Sunday, I thought I was nuts thinking how my knee felt more uncomfortable when I was in the frozen section. Maybe it wasn’t in my head!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom