Guest viewing is limited

TKR A New Day

Thanks! I look forward to that future!
 
It is all the fluid from any edema you have getting back into your system which has you up to the bathroom. You might also be drinking more taking your pills during the day and especially before you go to sleep. It will work itself out in time.
 
Good to know! I wondered if it was the edema, and now you confirmed that, thanks.
 
I was reading your thread, and could relate to a lot of what you are experiencing. It will get better! I wore the Compression stockings for 2 weeks, wore a heavy duty pad for the first few weeks to help me get to the bathroom in time, iced and elevated constantly for months & always ate crackers if I took meds in between meals. Also had a PT that put me on a machine that really hurt. But thanks to Bonesmart, I knew I could say ‘no thanks’ to that for the next session. Best wishes for a good recovery.
 
For the first week or two post surgery I had to pee during the night, which I normally never do. I also had a short window to get to the bathroom as my bladder control seemed to be affected. I would rush to the bathroom and still nearly had accidents. I'm now just over 3 weeks post surgery and no longer have to go in the night and my bladder control has returned - no more near accidents. I wonder if it all has to do with medication, and things are returning to normal for me now that I'm mostly just on Tylenol.
 
Could be, SkiBike! I still take 1 Norco and 1 Tylenol before sleep (or sleeplessness :oyvey:). Perhaps that does affect the bladder, as well as edema kicking in as has been suggested. Hopefully, I’ll be completely off pain meds soon and all systems will return to normal!
 
Okay, I need a little whine time! Friends, I AM SO WEARY of this! Since Jan 25th I have been dealing with one knee, then 2 knee replacements non-stop! I am exhausted! If I get up and prepare food for an hour, I am totally done in. I can’t yet sleep in my bed, spend much of my day in the recliner, ice and elevate. Wake up stiff and tired every morning. I know this takes time! I know it will get better! But right now,I am tired of it all! No, I don’t regret the surgeries, BUT, I am going out of my mind with this. I do see progress in that I can walk around the house without any assistive aid. PT is basically finished.
I guess I have no cause for complaint compared to the problems others have voiced. I just want to go to bed tonight and wake up in July! Sorry for the vent, but I just have had enough!
Moderators, please change my feed title to 2 New Knees And Weary
 
Hi @Sisterpat
I've changed your thread title, as you requested.

You're perfectly entitled to feel fed up and I'm glad you vented about it here. :console2:

With two knee replacements in such a short time, you've got a double whammy of the
Energy drain for TKRs

Almost all of your body's energy has been diverted to healing your knees and, consequently, you have little energy left for anything else. You can't fight that, so try to accept it. Your energy is going to return slowly and things are going to get better.
Just try to hang in there for a bit longer
[Bonesmart.org] A New Day
and follow this until you feel some improvement: Activity progression for TKRs

I know that's hard to do and you're probably bored out of your brain, but it shouldn't be for very much longer.
 
I'm struggling with one TKR - I can't imagine how hard this must be with two! I think you deserve to whine a bit as this must be tough!! As you know, I had a whine melt down this past week, and I have to say it really helped. Sometimes we just need to allow ourselves to feel and express how slow and agonizing progress can be. You are amazing in how you are handling this and with how well you are doing.

I hope you get some sleep soon. I definitely find that when I'm not sleeping everything is ten times tougher to endure.

After feeling really defeated last week I finally slept through the night, and my knee pain changed to where I could see progress again. Both of those really helped me deal with this recovery. I hope you get some rest soon!
 
Hugs and prayers for you, we all understand fed up and weary. Vent all you want. I had full out melt downs in my recovery, thankfully my husband was there to help me through them. (Even though I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks, I didn’t join until 6 months post op, so I missed out on the personal support here.)

Hang out here with us. Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!
 
Thanks, all of you! The support is invaluable, believe me. My head knows all the explanations and information, but my heart can’t quite grasp them when I’m so frustrated!
SkiBike, you’re right about the sleep issue! I think if I could get a few nights decent sleep I would feel much brighter and better. I take melatonin and a few other supplements for sleep which used to help before surgery, but now don’t seem to make a dent.
Jockette, I fully intend to “hang out” often on BoneSmart! Don’t know how people recover without this kind of support.
Celle, always good advice from you! I looked at the activity progression link and I haven’t yet felt able to do a 20 minute walk - don’t know if that’s physical or psychological! I am doing 5-minute stints on the peddle several times a day.
Again, thanks for being there for me!
 
Sorry @Sisterpat about your frustration and exhaustion. I well remember mine - my knees were done 7 weeks apart. Your energy and fortitude will return, but for now, don't try to control your recovery and let your knees be your guide. I remember being so frustrated as well. Days when I would lie on the couch with both feet up on the wall (I was quite intent on draining the swelling and lymph!!) and reading and crying for hours. But it is just a memory now. Keep in mind one of the advantages to having done #2 so soon after #1 (and the reason why I wanted both done at the same time but my blood oxygen levels intervened and caused the 7 week delay), is your recovery will be more even and balanced. What I recalled about the first 7 weeks was I could not rely on the "bad" knee to support me as I tried to strengthen the new knee. But after #2, I felt much more confident as I went through recovery. Carry on!

Glad you found BoneSmart - the folks on here were instrumental in my recovery. On the sleep thing, I started taking some AlevePM or TylenolPM. I found that even though I had to get up to go to the bathroom at night, I would fall back asleep much more readily and that helped. Just be sure to watch your daily intake of acetaminophen from all your medications so you do not exceed 4000 mg in 24 hours.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, NightQuilter!
It’s reassuring to hear from someone who had similar experiences and timeframe as me and my surgeries! I can relate to the hours of reading, day and night, trying to get time to pass! I, too, am thankful I found BoneSmart! I shall do my best to carry on!
 
I hear ya. I applaud you for having the courage to have 2 TKR's weeks apart ~ can only imagine how tough that was. My femur surgery was Dec. 20 and I also get exhausted standing doing chores, have to do everything in stages; and still my lower back gets sore/weak. It's only been one month since your last surgery. I think you're doing great.
Interesting reading about having to get up in the night to pee. I had to also, often twice; had our son staying with us to help out as hubby out of commission and I'd have to wake him up around 3 a.m. and again around 6 or 7 a.m. to take me in the wheelchair to bathroom, then hop along on one foot with walker in the bathroom (wheelchair wouldn't fit through door) as no weight bearing.
I hope you can get some sleep during the day. You'll soon be better than normal and back to doing things you love.
 
Thanks, liam! Surely is a challenge! Glad I’m not the only one whose bladder worked overtime after surgery! Still having that challenge - it’s a buzzard!! Probably partly why I can’t sleep! (My walker didn’t even fit through the door!)
Thanks for your support!
 
When I prayed this morning, I found myself thanking God for BoneSmart! As many of you know, yesterday was a dark day for me, struggling to recover from 2 new knees...I received so many supportive and hopeful posts, that it really turned the corner for me! Today is a different day and, though sleep was no better last night, I woke up with more energy and hope than I can remember having in a long time! That is what BoneSmart can do! I am so grateful for all of you!
Moderators, please do yet another change of title to A New Day.
Thank you all for your caring. Onward!
 
Title changed! I’m so glad you feel better! Hang on, though, there still will be ups and downs, it’s the nature of this recovery, but we’ll be with you every step of the way! :console2:
 
Right you are, Jockette! Finally got out to Church this morning and it went longer than usual :hissy: so now I am home, sitting with an ice pack and feeling some relief! I know it will be a roller coaster ride for sure!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom