TKR A New Day

Finally got out to Church this morning and it went longer than usual :hissy:
Maybe try taking something to rest the foot of the recent operated leg on, just to get it higher than the floor. A small box, a pillow, anything that would work for you. A friend of mine told me he used his cane to rest his foot on, get it up, so I did that, and even that little bit was a help.
 
My first few times back to church I took ice and propped my leg up on a pillow across the back pew. It was wonderful to get back, but it wore me out. I spent the rest of the day icing and elevating.
 
Both great suggestion, Jockette and Sisters! Never thought to bring ice but I could do that if I put a pack in a cooler (presently riding an hour to Church each way!). And I can bring a pillow to elevate! The long ride each way doesn’t help, but it’s worth it to me :)!
 
Just noticed I have graduated from junior member to member! How did that happen? :yes!:
 
It's done on the number of posts you've made.
 
Try a small pillow in the car, too, just to get your foot up off the floor. It also helps cushion the bumps a bit. A different friend told me she did this, and it really helped me.
 
I really appreciate reading your journey and your openness and honesty about the roller coaster. I’m ten days out and have been doing well physically but my emotions have been on a roller coaster, the loopy loopy kind! I live alone except for my four cats who have been boarded since surgery but will be coming home tomorrow after my post-op appointment!
 
Oh, FourCats! Those kitties will be of great comfort to you, albeit a bit more work for you feeding and scooping litter! Try not to overdo! I frankly don’t know how anyone goes through this journey alone! I have my Sister (I’m a Catholic nun!) here with me and her help has been invaluable. You folks who rehab by yourselves are the real heroes, in my eyes!
Yes, emotions run the whole gamut during this time, so I totally understand. I’ve been elated at small signs of progress, and depressed at the slowness of it all. Hang in there. You are not really alone as long as you check in here every day. And, of course, the Good Lord is watching over all of us with love!
Where is Crawfordsville?
 
Well, Jockette, as usual was right!
Title changed! I’m so glad you feel better! Hang on, though, there still will be ups and downs, it’s the nature of this recovery, but we’ll be with you every step of the way! :console2:
No Church for me this morning :gaah:. I tried, ONCE AGAIN to sleep in my bed. Well, forget that! It rained all night and morning and it seems the weather affects the soreness of BOTH new knees! Anyone else feel they are affected by damp weather? I need some sunshine!! A discouraging day.
 
Oh yes, weather definitely affect my Drama Queen knee! But, for me, sometimes it was the day after. One of our other advisors said my knee was a weather reporter, rather than a predictor! :rotfl: It’s not as bad now, 4 years later.
 
@Sisterpat, I am so sorry to hear about the rough time you’ve been having. I am putting your name at the top of my prayer list. Hang in there you brave soul, and I hope you are getting some sleep!
 
SisterPat, I am so sorry you are having such trouble sleeping! That is disruptive I know! I had that happen with knee #1, and could only sleep in my recliner, too. It was miserable and I so sympathize with you! I now have a bed with a bottom and top that can be raised. So, I can sleep with my legs elevated above my heart... the platform is simply a platform instead of a frame and box spring, so overall not much more costly than the rest of a typical bed. Wish I could send it to you to try out!
 
Wannagolf, I APPRECIATE the prayers more than I can say! Big thanks!
BBCG, I wish you could send me the bed too . :heehee: Unfortunately, can’t afford it right now so will have to struggle on with the recliner! Thanks for the thought, though!
 
Okay, folks, the new adjustable bed frame has arrived! It was over 100# so we enlisted the help of a male friend and his son and they came over and set it up for me. What I have noticed is that, since the mattress has to bend, it cannot e on a box spring. This makes the mattress MUCH SOFTER andi think, for me, that will be a plus! I had ordered a soft mattress from Saatva a few years back and have complained ever since (when anyone would listen :heehee:) that it was still too firm and it was killing my shoulders and hips! Now that the mattress is actually soft, I am optimistic that I will get a great sleep in it tonight! Wish me luck, all!
 
I hope you enjoy your new bed! My husband loved his side all ramped up, he slept that way every night for years! I, on the other hand, kept my side mostly flat. The only time I found it handy was early in recovery from my partial, I would elevate the head of the bed just a little, which would take the pressure off my lower back when I had my legs elevated. To be honest, I preferred the foam elevating wedge the hospital sent home with me. This is an example of when my uncle would say, “that’s why there’s chocolate and vanilla!” :elevate:
 
Cute emoji! Yep, different strokes for different folks, for sure. I never used the wedge in bed so I can’t compare. Still hoping this will be an answer to my sleep problems. I’ll let you know what I think :)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom