TKR A New Day

I was in and out of the bed and the recliner for at least 6 weeks. Once I was able to sleep on my sides, I could stay in the bed for most of the night. I found that if I laid on the opposite side of the tkr, I could put a pillow between my knees and sleep pretty well that way until I had to move my leg. Just sleeping on my side was a true blessing!
 
Yes, I tried the pillow thing, but since I had both knees done so near to each other, there is not really a comfortable side! However, I have slept well the last 2 nights in the recliner, so I’m giving the bed a go tonight. Wish me luck!
 
I'm glad to hear you've slept, even if it was in the recliner. Good luck in the bed tonight!!! I hope you sleep!
 
I’m English. Retired away from the rain and cold.
I don’t suppose it really matters where you sleep at this stage, wherever is best. The bed will have its day (or rather night) when you are recovered. Just sleep well.
 
You are so right, Ghostpipe! Thanks for the reminder!
 
Here on Bonesmart we always say, sleep where you can, when you can!

I must be the odd one, my back does not do well reclining in a recliner, so I slept in my bed, when I could sleep, from day ( or rather, night :heehee: ) one.
 
I also slept in a bed from day 1. I guess the recliner just never seemed like a good option for me as I had a CPM machine and an ice machine. My husband bought me a very nice wedge so I could be elevated in my bed, as well.
I started sleeping on my side after about 5 weeks out...what a joy that was!
 
Actually, Jockette, my back isn’t happy in the recliner either, which is why I’m desperate to get into the bed, where my knees are not happy :hissy::tantrum:! I don’t think there’s a 3rd option...
 
Hopefully it’s just general soreness that is par for the course, and things will settle more as you heal. Having both done close together gives you 2 drama Queen knees, rather than just one. :console2:
 
How is your sleeping situation? I guess I'm one of the fortunate side sleepers who adjusted the first night. I probably look like a pair of scissors with the position of my legs but, hey, whatever works! Hope you're doing better and not having to sleep in the recliner as much.
 
Thanks for asking, FourCats! Well, I’ve made several attempts in the bed and some were more successful than others, but none lasted throughout the night :hissy: . The last few nights I didn’t even try, BUT I’ve been sleeping pretty well in the recliner, so at least that’s something.
it doesn’t help that my senior cat (you will understand this) who has been deaf and now gone blind wanders the room meowing much of the night. Skinny as a bone, but still eating like a pig and I don’t think in pain.
 
I tried to let my four cats back into my bedroom but it was too stressful on me. Two of them like to sleep between my legs and trying to move around in bed or get up to use the bathroom was impossible. So they’re banned for an unknown time to the rest of the house. It’s always so sweet to open my bedroom door in the morning and have four furry faces to greet me!
 
Aw, SisterPat, I’m so sorry the bed isn’t really working yet! Drat! But, your description of your kitty makes me wonder about mine: she wanders the hallway meowing from early morning until both my husband and I are up, but she now walks barely in front of us enough to not get stepped on, so I’m now wondering if she is going blind? We had her in to see the vet before my surgery, but I hadn’t thought of this as a reason for her new risk-taking behavior… hmmm… it’s really dangerous for her to walk so closely in front of my husband, since he’s so near to being blind!
 
Could be her eyesight is failing. My gal is 17.
 
Hang in there @Sisterpat, you'll eventually find bed comfortable again. My recliner was my home for the first 1 weeks. I tried sleeping in bed at 2 month (it was our anniversary) but woke up 2 hours latter in serious pain. It eventually gets better.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom