TKR A New Day

That should have read 12 weeks in the recliner @Sisterpat. I usually do a better job proof reading my posts than that. :shrug:
 
Well, it is 12 weeks since my 2nd TKR and I had my last follow up today till one year from now! Doc is pleased, no restrictions. He said, as so many have here, “Your knee at 3 months is not going to be your knee at a year.” He said I might always have an occasional clicking noise or stiffness. After all, it IS a mechanical knee! So anyone concerned about the noises, etc can rest easy. Thanks everyone for your support, especially the staff here on BoneSmart!
 
Great report and I like your surgeon. I so wish mine had discharged me at 12 weeks, but no, I had many follow ups and he was all about ROM and PT and telling me to do things that created more pain.
 
Yes, Jockette, I am so sorry you had a fool for a doc, and your experience was less than optimum! It’s a hard way to learn a lesson. If there’s a next time around, you will certainly know how to handle it.
 
I was so trusting. :doh:
 
It is fascinating to read about the different approaches doctors take for follow up care. I see the PA 2 weeks after surgery to remove staples, the surgeon 8 weeks post-op, the PA 5 months post-op, and finally the surgeon 1 year after surgery. I live in south central PA.
 
Congratulations Sisterpat! I love reading your thread and replies to other members. I am always learning and calming my worries!
 
Thanks doxiemom! I have always felt that fear and worry are worse enemies than pain or sickness or disability. Worrying is such a useless thing because it doesn’t change anything and only robs us of the happiness we do have. Thanks for your kind words! Keep on keeping on!
 
Glad that you are doing so well. My OS has English as a second language to Turkish, so hasn’t got a lot to say, other than “ if it hurts, don’t do it“, and “come back if there’s pain”. Which is good enough for me! He does 3 monthly checks for the first year, with bloods and x ray, and is not bothered about ROM provided it’s 90 and above, not that he’s had to bother much about mine because it’s very good.
Are you in your bed full time yet?
 
Sounds like you have an ideal OS! Good for you!
Ah, the bed...that is a long story :banghead:. I am actually sleeping much better these last few nights - in the recliner. I have an elderly female cat who is deaf and now gone blind, poor thing. She has always basically lived in my bedroom except for overnight when she has freedom to roam in the kitchen and living room (another long story!). Lately, because she can’t see, she is having accidents outside the litter box, so my bedroom floor is strewed with newsprint paper to protect the carpet. I haven’t felt I wanted to sleep in that room with all the paper underfoot, BUT I just decided earlier today I am going to give it a try tonight, because I am TIRED OF THIS RECLINER:censored:! So, we’ll see how it goes. Wish me luck! I’ll keep you posted! Thanks for asking!
 
Prayers for a safe and restful night! :console2::prayer:
 
Aha! I found your thread via a browser login. If I leave a comment, it will be easy for me to find in the app now.
 
Okay folks, a note of encouragement here! I am just short of 6 months from my first TKR and 4 months from my second.
Let me tell you how I spent the last 2 days. Yesterday I made the custard for vanilla ice cream, made a batch and a half of onion soup, rode into town for mail, then fixed dinner of shrimp and pasta when I returned. Today, I churned the ice cream, washed the dog, watered the garden and made a roast turkey dinner (yes, I know, it was 92 degrees, but that’s another story) and helped with the cleanup.
On neither of those days did I feel the need to stop and rest. I could NOT have done this even 2 weeks ago! So, for all of you who are still struggling and feel discouraged, be of good cheer, because those knees WILL come around eventually! I don’t know what my numbers are, probably less than 120 flex, but I don’t care! I was able to accomplish all of this with good energy and little to no knee discomfort. HANG IN THERE EVERYONE!
 
That was a lot of activity and good news that you were able to do it. I suggest some easy days for you in the next few days. What I did in my recovery, if I had a busy day, the next day was a rest day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom