TKR A new chapter begins - 16 Dec 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping you get some decent pain relief soon. I think you'll get more bend as the swelling goes down and the pain is under better control.
 
Have you talked to your surgeons office? Even your GP can help with other meds - most people seem to have something like tramadol for break thru pain so it's certainly not rare and the extra tylenol would hopefully help with the swelling. Hope you start feeling better soon!
 
@lunula how are you today? I hope the pain is more under control for you and that you are looking forward to celebrating Christmas Day tomorrow. I will check in on you later in the week.

:tree lights::merryx:
 
@TexasTee - I have spoken with my OS's office numerous times, and they did prescribe Tramadol for break-thru pain, but I am not finding it effective. I am allergic to Celebrex, Nucynta didn't work at all and it seems Oxy is more effective than Hydrocodone. OS's office doesn't seem to have anymore suggestions. :(

@jude2014 and @kneeper - thanks for checking in! Since I have nothing to compare this experience to, I am just at a loss as to whether this is all normal. When I was doing my PT, my entire knee felt like a huge vice was just clamping down - it felt numb, tight and burned all at the same time. PT does seem to help loosen things up a bit, so I am going to do as much as my knee tells me I can do today and tomorrow. I want to see some improvement in my flexion by Friday when I see her again.

I am just amazed when I read others stories about only using a cane after a few days, or only being at pain levels of 3-4 or having a 90 flex within a week of surgery. I was in shape prior to my surgery, ate well, took my supplements and did my pre-hab work and I am astounded by how painful this is and how poorly I feel I am progressing. Just gonna keep on working!
 
Don't get too caught up in other people's ROM or flex or pain levels, every knee is different. I had LTKR in September of 2013 and RTKR five weeks ago and they have been two completely different recoveries. In my experience, just do what the PTs and DRs tell you with a healthy dose of icing and elevating and even if it takes a while, everything usually works out in the end. In my opinion at this point in the recovery, everything begins with pain management. If you can't get that under control, everything else will be that much harder. If I were you, I would hound any and every health care professional I could find until they got the pain taken care of. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
 
Glad that the PT helps some - sorry you're having a rough start though. Hoping for a Christmas eve miracle of a more cooperative body part!
 
@lunula you have company! I am day 12 and still in a lot of pain. I switched from oxy to hydrocodone because it made my stomach feel better but it was not as effective as oxy so I switched back. I had a decent day pain wise yesterday but today I am in a lot of pain. My ROM is also dissapointing so just know you are not alone. All we can do is inch forward and know that eventually this will all be a distant memory!
 
Best of luck with your recovery, you will feel much better when you get home and you can relax and do everything at your own pace. Holly
 
I think I have turned a tiny corner! I am still having issues with pain, I just don't think the drugs have a huge effect on me. However, I have done my CPM machine yesterday and today, as instructed - and was able to do one set on my exercises. The great thing is, even though it hurt, I took it slow and after it was over, I actually felt a bit better! I think just loosening up the knee, quad, hamstring, etc. is exactly what I have needed.

I am now on Oxycodone-Acetaminophen 10-325 every 3 hours, which has helped a bit. I take Tramadol for break-thru pain, but not sure what that means as my pain levels are pretty steady if I am not resting. The more I move, the better I feel. So...going to continue trying my exercises and stretching and using my ice obsessively (this ice unit is SO amazing).

I am still behind others as far as recovery goes, probably, but I can finally see the small bits of progress I am making each day. What a nice Christmas gift!

Merry Christmas, everyone!
 
Hang in there @lunula! You are not behind in your recovery, you are right where you are. It may sound ridiculous, but your knee is your experience, and we're all a little different. When I was at your stage, I was taking 20mg of oxy every fours hours, Valium every 8 hours, and offset those with flexeril every 8 hours. Without it, I would have been a total mess. Pain control is so important! By six weeks, I was down to Ibuprophen and Tylenol. Do not expect too much of your knee yet. Some days you move forward, some days you move back and this will be a normal (although frustrating) pattern.

Merry Christmas!
 
Hi @lunula . I've been following your recovery as we had the same surgery date; mine just a year sooner. You've gotten some great advice and support but just wanted to pop in and let you know a few things to hopefully ease your mind and encourage you a bit.

I couldn't do a leg lift or move my TKR leg on it's own for almost 3 weeks. Boo. I called it my 'log'. I didn't use a strap, but instead would hook my left foot under my right ankle and move the log/leg to where I needed it to be. I panicked that I'd never be able to move it or do a leg lift ever again. I can.

My bend was very slow going. Went up and down several times. I got 'stuck' in certain places for weeks on end. I have terrific ROM now. It just took a loooong time. I watched other patients in my PT sessions that had surgery around my same date come and go and they progressed much faster than I. It's hard not to get discouraged, but try not to compare yourself to others.

I used my walker everywhere for 3 weeks. I continued to use it in the mornings and in the house for several weeks past that. Don't rush it. You'll know when it's time to switch to a cane or a crutch.

I too would take forever to get comfortable. I would absolutely dread having to go to the bathroom (and like you, I had to go every couple of hours). It seemed that by the time I'd finally been able to get myself situated, I would have to get back up again. Vicious potty cycle. ;-)

You're doing great! You do need to get your pain under control. Mine never really was. Hopefully you're doing better on your oxy every 3 hours and Tramadol. @TexasTee is right about adding in some Tylenol with the Tramadol.

That awesome (insert sarcasm here) stiffness and tight band/vice feeling? Never thought that would go away either. It took forever, but it did.

I'm sure you'll be sick of hearing it, but try to be patient and know that you're doing great. This is a TOUGH surgery to recover from. Keep using this forum to post concerns, questions or just to commiserate with people on. I guarantee that you won't experience anything that at least one person on here can't identify with. Keep up the great work! (sorry for the ramblingly long post)
 
You're doing just fine! I'm glad the oxy is helping more.
 
@lunula hope you are doing better. I had yet another med change, but for the first time my pain is under control! 2-4, and at PT my ROM was 95-15 which is the best yet. They switched me from 5mg of oxycodone to 10 and it has made all the difference to my exercising. Not sure where you are with pain meds, but thought I would share what has finally worked for me. 2 weeks post-op today
 
@lunula Hang in there. It's a journey, to be sure. They switched you to the meds I've been on - and they work great for me. I hope you have a similar outcome. Did you ever try elevating in the cpm machine?

Think about this: a year from now we'll be on here offering our sage advice to newbies, and laughing about our dark moments. It will get better.
 
Hi all - just a quick update. Had my staples removed yesterday and it wasn't so bad! My incision looks really good, the nurse commented on it repeatedly! It's about 6 inches, just a little above and below my kneecap - nice and straight and thin. I have a feeling I was allergic to the staples because as soon as they came out, the burning pain I would get across my incision disappeared!

Still incredibly frustrated with my PT. She continues trying to use scare tactics with me instead of offering encouragement. Since I was an athlete for so many years, I respond well to people pushing me, but using encouragement and challenging me rather than just trying to scare me. I thought about calling the agency, or even calling her directly to discuss my thoughts. I am not sure if calling her or just speaking in person would be best? What do you all think?

OS office told me I could double up on my Oxycodone before PT sessions, I did that tonight and it helped a little. Will test whether 2 Oxy or 1 Oxy and 1 Tramadol works better. The good news, I am starting to feel more human again - still painful, of course, but not nearly as bad!

Taking 2 aspirin per day as blood thinner. Found out I am allergic, as I have a rash on my elbows, my shins and behind my knees. Contemplating just sticking with it for the full month, but it sure does itch!

Hope everyone had a lovely Friday! [emoji4]
 
Congrats on getting the staples out! My PT has an email address. Maybe that would be a good way to communicate with your PT if possible. Best wishes on your continued recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom