Guest viewing is limited

TKR A new chapter begins - 16 Dec 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
In home PT was fabulous! After a chat and her seeing how much swelling I have, she told me my pain levels were too high and said getting the pain and swelling down this weekend is my only job! Gentle stretches, rest, Iceland elevate, thank goodness! Also switched to Nucynta for pain, though it doesn't seem any different than Oxy.

I cannot lift my leg at all, and I could on day 1 after surgery. The pain across my kneecap is crazy when I try to lift my leg and I am 100% dependent on my husband to get help in getting up for bathroom breaks.

Is it normal on Day 3 to not be able to lift your leg at all? Hoping I can at least do that by the end of the weekend!
 
You'll probably be fine with the leg lifts when your swelling has gone down significantly. Don't try if it hurts you, rest, ice , elevate for a good while will help . Google grief you are only 3 days out from major surgery!
Please be kinder to yourself. I did almost no, none! PT for the first three weeks.
Hope you feel better soon.
 
@lunula

I have a ton of swelling and haven't been able to lift my.leg at all today. I was surprised but the nurse called it normal.

Sounds like your pain is fairly well managed...that's awesome.
 
Hi @treypops - yeah, I have frustrated as my pain levels are a bit out of control. I have been around 6 or 7 all day, as the Nucynta I switched to did absolutely nothing and I shot up to about 8. I was counting down the minutes until I could switch back to Oxy. I think I just have to get the swelling in control before I will be able to get the pain in check.

Of course, my mind is racing through all the horrible scenarios - just have to keep reminding myself I am only on Day 3! I just want to be able to lift my leg so I could get up and down by myself!
 
Hoping for a better day for you, I'd be frustrated as well!!
 
Hoping for some advice, as this pain and swelling is wearing me down. Tagging @Josephine specifically, but would appreciate input from anyone.

Surgery was 16 Dec and came home on 18 Dec. as I mentioned previously, my PT sessions were far too aggressive and the in-home PT who came yesterday agreed and told me to ice, elevate, rest and only do gentle stretches. I am on Oxycodone-Acetaminophen 10-325 every 4 hours. Also taking an aspirin & stool softener morning and evening. To combat nausea, I also have Zolfran HCL 8 mg and I have to take Benadryl to combat itching from the Oxy.

I elevate and ice around the clock - the only time I am not is when I get up to go to the restroom, which is every 1.5-2 hours (I am drinking a lot of fluids). The only other activities I am doing are gentle heel stretches, and my husband helps with some calf stretches that feel wonderful. Also doing ankle pumps & rolls.

My ROM is almost nothing and I can barely take steps even with my walker. I know I am stiffening up, but every time I get up to use the restroom, it takes a good hour for the pain to settle, and then I have to get up again.

I cannot lift my leg at all, so I cannot get out of the recliner unassisted. The pain behind my kneecap when trying to lift my leg is blinding.

Am I doing something wrong? PT said my elevation was good, husband is changing my ice machine every couple of hours so it is always cold, but knee is so tight and painful. Can't get truly comfortable. Any advice?

Thank you.
 
You sound like your pain is not completely under control. What is the dose of the oxycodone that you're taking? What does the prescription say? Sometimes it'll say something like "1–2 tablets every 4–6 hours." Which means you can take 2 every 4 hours. If you're already taking the max, then get in touch with your OS or GP to get better relief.

And, for what it's worth, It took me more than two weeks before I could lift my leg by myself. You will get there!

I hope you feel more comfortable soon! :console2:
 
The max dose of Tylenol is 4000mg - you are taking 1950 in your oxy- I'd think about adding a regular 325 strength to each dose - Tylenol is great for swelling. Sorry you are off to a rough start!
 
Not good for you I think same as everyone else.re meds but I'm.sure Josephine is best option. Healing thoughts to you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@lunula so sorry to read you are having lots of pain and difficulty moving. I wish I had some miracle answers for you but I don't.
I am still in hospital but all is progressing well and I should be discharged tomorrow, Tuesday.
Take care and I sure hope you start improving soon.
 
In home PT was fabulous! After a chat and her seeing how much swelling I have, she told me my pain levels were too high and said getting the pain and swelling down this weekend is my only job! Gentle stretches, rest, Iceland elevate, thank goodness!
That is awesome!!! It is great to read of a PT who does not cajole, push, chide or yell---and who does not try to hurt you!!

That is a great PT--- a real "keeper"!
 
Thanks, all. I will call my OS tomorrow and ask about adding more Tylenol in. I know it is completely normal because I read it on so many other threads before surgery, but I am regretting my choice and getting really depressed. I felt so positive in the hospital while my Exparel was still in effect, but I am not seeing any progress at all. My pain is controlled only with ice on, knee elevated, on Oxy and resting. Going to the restroom causes an hour of misery.

I, of course, will be patient and practice the mantras. I jus can't see myself ever getting the right knee done!
 
@lunula I hate reading that. I hope you get over the hump real soon. I am right here with you....we can do this together!
 
@lunula I felt much the same about having the other leg done and was only comfortable laying down with ice on my knee at the same stage as you. It does pass and you will feel better but these are hard, hard days to get through and I do feel for you. You are having a tough time.
Sending you warm thoughts and best wishes. You will soon be feeling much better, hang in there.
 
Thank you @treypops and @SuperSnapper - it's really hard to shake the feeling that "something is wrong" - I guess because this is so very foreign to me. I am so happy to read about those fast healers and amazing recoveries, but it just makes me feel think about every bad scenario for myself.

On a positive note, the low grade fever I had at hospital is totally gone and my knee itself looks pretty good. It is swollen, of course, but very little bruising. I am still doing my ankle pumps and circles, and I am able to do some quad and hamstring exercises from my rehab instructions. I still cannot lift my leg on my own, but I was able to do some very slight knee bends last night while I was sitting in my recliner with my feet on the floor! Also, getting a little bit of sleep - still setting my alarm every 4 hours for meds, but I am able to sleep a full 4 and then I doze for another 2 or so before getting out of bed!

Thanks everyone for letting me vent. I had no clue the process was this brutal - I have so much respect for all of my fellow TKRs!
 
Sounds as if you are making quite a bit of progress in spite of everything. The knee bends are tricky at first but you'll start off with small bends and over the days it will get better. I'm at 4 weeks tomorrow and believe me you are doing well with the sleeping - a full 4 hours is great! I got 7 hours last night in total but still woke up at least once. Just keep resting, icing and taking the meds . It's dull, boring and tedious but it works!
 
I agree that you definitely need to speak with your OS about getting your pain under control. You shouldn't be in pain like that while on pain meds! When I had my first surgery (partial), I was given a strap from the hospital. It had a loop on the end that I'd put on my foot, and I used that to help lift my leg (up onto the couch, off of the couch, into bed, etc) b/c my knee was sore and leg was weak. Maybe your OS can give you something like that? (I've attached a link to Amazon just to show you what I mean...I'm certainly not a doctor)

https://www.amazon.com/Sammons-Preston-Lifter-Adults-AA8621/dp/B0080HK3C0/?tag=ate362da-20
 
Just stopping in to see how you are doing. Don't get discouraged, you read enough to know the first few weeks were going to be tough so remember you are where all those on this side have been. You will only get better.. I do hope the doctor can give you better pain control. In a few months you'll look back on these days as just a memory. Hang in there.
 
@kaydubs - I was actually shying away from using something to lift my leg, thinking I would be too sore; however, I grabbed the knee-high TED hose from the hospital and started using it to lift my leg and I can't tell you how happy it makes me to have this tiny bit of independence! Great advice, thank you!

@Dord6712 and @SuperSnapper - thank you for the pep talks!

Had a good (but difficult!) PT session. I had a disappointing 49 flex. She actually called my ROM "awful" - but after reading so much here, I am not allowing myself to get nervous about it. I am apparently just not experiencing the pain relief that most people feel from all of these drugs. I just have to deal with it. Tough session this morning, also - but I managed to get through all the exercises! She is tough, but she is allowing me to push myself rather than trying to force my knee around too much. I actually found out I was elevating too much/too long and my knee was just getting as stiff as cement. So now, I am varying my position as much as I can endure. Letting it hang off the side is really unpleasant, but I am managing it for a few minutes at a time! Won't have a session at home until Friday, my husband will be a taskmaster and make sure I do my work until then!

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
@lunula
I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

Yes, you do need to talk to your surgeon about adequate pain control. What you are taking isn't doing the trick. Do try to take the medications on a strict schedule, too.

It's still incredibly early in this long journey that is recovery, so please try not to worry too much. It's only 5 days since your surgery and you are expecting too much of yourself and of your knee.

It's perfectly normal to be very swollen stiff at this time, and also not to have much bend. My knee wouldn't bend at all for a week or so, and then it gradually improved. At this stage, tough physiotherapy and trying to exercise a lot are just not the best thing. All you need is a little, gentle exercise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom