Guest viewing is limited

TKR A new chapter begins - 16 Dec 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry the first PT was a jerk - hopefully you'll have someone else tomorrow. Sleep well!
 
Welcome to the other side!
The itching is the worst, isn't it! I react that way to the antibiotics too, and they routinely give them after a TKR. I had 5 minutes worth while waking up before they stopped them; I was scratching everywhere within reach.
 
So glad to hear your're in recovery and getting things settled. Do be firm with any therapist that hurts you!!! I know you will....

Here are the basic recovery articles for you to review. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
I am experiencing a lot of stiffness today, can't really even do heel slides - is this normal? I am going to have 2 PT sessions today and I am not looking forward to it - can barely even lift my leg today. I am still flexing my foot, rolling my ankle and getting up a lot to use the restroom, but couldn't lift my leg to have my Ace wrap removed.
 
It's only a couple of days and I think that is normal.

The first day after surgery, while the nerve block was still working, I could move my leg quite easily. The next day, it would hardly bend at all.
My leg did swell up a bit more for a few days, as well, and that made bending it more difficult.

Try to concentrate on rest, ice and elevation and don't worry too much about the PT - and don't let those therapists hurt you!
 
If the PT was a bit hard yesterday maybe your knee is stiff due to overwork? Don't let them hurt you today xxxx
 
@lunula
Hang in there, kid! I hope my recovery posts look as good as yours.
 
You will be stiff its soft.tissue trauma. This has to sort itself out first hence elevate etc. My leg looked like a 200 year old tree. Well minus the.branches that would be.silly mean.I.would.get squirrels oooooooooooooooooo nooooo. So glad.I didn't mention nuts - doh

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Home now - had a tough day. Two PT sessions before noon, and used had a couple other exercises beginning at 5:00 - not to mention a few hours in the CPM machine. Tough ride home, but luckily only 10 minutes away. Resting and icing now, but having a hard time convincing my husband that I need the rest of the night off. The PT and nurses just kept telling us how hard I needed to work...but it's only day 2 and I don't want to impede my progress.

My husband is so awesome and sweet and so wants the best for me, but I just don't agree with working it so much so soon. Anyone else have that happen? So much concern in his eyes, but I just need to rest. It really hurts right now. :(
 
No, no!!! Tell your hubby to relax....with you!!! You have been through enough today to last you a couple of days. If you hurt, that's your body telling you to slow down. Do not try to work through pain. You will only make things worse and possibly set yourself up for a slower recovery.

Right now the best thing you can do is to rest, ice, elevate that knee and take your pain meds on a schedule. Same for tomorrow. The only exercise you need are some gentle bends and stretches every few hours for a minute or two along with your slow walking to the bathroom or possibly to the kitchen to get something.

Did you read the articles I posted for you? They explain a lot of what you should and shouldn't be doing. Maybe your hubby should read them too. Please don't push yourself too hard with therapy either. If you're hurting, go easy!!!
 
PT seems a bit early ...they did nothing with me for the first 5 days other than moving around to go to the loo and pointing my toes and rolling them around and walks....out of the hospital in 3 days after I could go up and down stairs and then mild PT on day 5 with the therapist in my OS office.....
 
You need to rest that knee. Sounds like you have already overdone it. You should only be doing just a few easy things these first few weeks. You need to ice, rest, take your meds. The one thing for certain that really helps is ice, ice,ice. If my knee was hurting I iced and put that leg up.

Glad to hear you are home now and able to get some rest.

Enjoy the holidays.:tree2;:tree:
 
in any other situation when.confronted by pain you would stop. So what's diff yes keep moving but the more pain.the longer the recovery folow the mantras which is let your pain.guide you. Ok there is a limit to my serious side better go before water bombs are used

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Yes, I have read everything here thoroughly, as well as another 4 books about the surgery and rehab. Husband is just trying to follow what the PTs, nurses and doctor told us - mostly in conflict with advice here. So the issue is him believing everyone at the hospital as credible. I know he is tired and worried, he only wants what is best. I flat out told him last night I wasn't doing a darn thing. He was just nervous because the awful PT gave him that line about "losing my window" to gain my ROM back.

Oh, and the guess what else that little jerk PT said? I was lying in bed and he was doing some harsh calf stretch and he says, "yep, see your left leg is longer now, you are going to have problems" I was so mad! Both my legs were straight before surgery - OS didn't fix bow-leg or anything. And, my left knee was bent up a bit and I was likely crooked in bed. If it is longer, it might be by a hair - nothing he could see by just holding me feet and stretching! Why on earth would someone say that? Like I don't have enough to worry about!

In-home nurse will be here in a few and PT later today. I hope it is someone gentle....
 
I found the hospital PT useless compared to the staff at my OS.....you only see them a few minutes a week and the rest of the time is yours to make the most of.....I kind of pushed myself compared to some on this site but never to the point of pain and always ice nearby......you will do great now that you are home.....
 
Hi @lunula - sorry you're having to deal with this on top of your recovery! How is it today?

I wouldn't be surprised to find myself in a similar situation in a month or so...I guess I'll have to hope that a statement of "I need you to respect the fact that I know what is right for me" will get my husband to at least hush about it but I will start laying that ground work now.

Hoping you're having a better day!
 
you shouldn't have this pal. The PT is justifying his expertise. Main.thing now is stretches plus light exercise. I have had hip done achilies total rupture calf almost split in two dislocated.knee shoulder and every finger and upto 3 yrs ago.was.still playing squash. Oh.aged 19.told.to stop playing rugby. Played last game aged.39. The body is amazing if you listen.to it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom