THR A matching pair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! that is really big! I tend not to watch the news so often as I just find it all so lousy. What are your greatest fears?

Great to hear things are going well - how often are you doing PT? Are you doing it alone or with someone who helps you?

Thank you for asking! Feeling good mentally, hips are 'meh' (=same old, same old), no appt yet looks like it will be later next week.

Take care! I hope the step count is going well!
 
What are your greatest fears?
Everything! My husband's business relies on trade with Europe and with the £ falling and having to renegotiate trade tariffs, it's going to be a sticky period for a while. I'd happy move to Australia if you didn't have all those bugs and evil spiders out there! :spider:

I see the physio every fortnight but do exercises at home myself. I got some new ones last week to try and help my shuffling limp - they're the ones that hurt! I'm going back to the general strengthening ones and my walking and I'll see what she says next week.
 
I'd happy move to Australia

We would love to have you! Don't read all the scary stories about our bugs, spiders and snakes - think of the kangaroos on every corner and fluffy koalas :heehee:

In all seriousness, I hope everything is OK with hubby's business - it is awful to have that stress and uncertainty.

Do you like the physio exercises? Have you noticed a difference? It is awesome that you are very committed to doing them.

p.s. I did actually have a pet kangaroo when I was about 7 - she slept in a pillowcase on a doorknob (like in a pouch).
 
I'm not committed - I do them far less than I've been told and I'm quite picky about what I do too!

A pet kangaroo? Wow!
 
@Zelda My sympathies to you over the vote. I'm amazed to see how the £ has slumped so soon, even though it hasn't actually happened yet. My daughter lives in the UK and she was totally shell shocked.
Don't read all the scary stories about our bugs, spiders and snakes - think of the kangaroos on every corner and fluffy koalas :heehee:).
I know Australia is a beautiful place, my cousin always wanted me to go visit there, but I really do have a problem with snakes:groan:. Actually our dog found one in our basement the other day. :yikes: The door had been open for her to play outside. They didn't tell me lol they knew I would freak out. Now I can't go down there till hubby makes sure all is safe. If anyone knows how to keep them away please let me know????
 
Hey Zelda, hopefully the economy won't hit too hard, but i know it is scary....not exactly what you need right now.....more stress! Hang in there!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Actually our dog found one in our basement the other day. :yikes:

*strikes Canada off the list of places to emigrate to*
:heehee:
How's your hip doing? It feels like a long time since February!

Hey Zelda, hopefully the economy won't hit too hard, but i know it is scary

We seem to be in total meltdown over here. I don't know what it looks like from abroad but here it's becoming apparent that we had this huge vote and nobody, literally nobody, thought about what would happen if Brexit won - even the leaders of the campaign are running around going, "What? You thought we had a plan?" and starting to make noises about how we could stay in the EU for a bit longer.

Hey @Zelda how are you doing??
Aside from the ongoing political shenanigans, I'm very well! I've been cleared to drive, had all restrictions lifted (with a warning to be careful) and I'm finally able to walk very short distances with one stick and no limp. I had to go back to taking a lower dose of anti-inflammatory because of massive stiffness after an exercise but as I build up my fitness and get my muscles used to moving again that should stop being a problem. Normal life beckons!
:yahoo::happydance:

I've been too busy watching the news this weekend but I'll pop over to everyone's threads and have a catch up just now and see how you're all doing!
 
I've had a very emotional day today. I sat and cried this morning because I managed to put my socks on like a normal person for the first time in, oh, at least two years. I sat on the edge of the bed, lifted each foot up towards the opposite knee and pulled the sock on - no grabber, no squirming round to the side, no having to hook a toe while standing and then sit to put them up. It felt amazing and when I got a bit teary, I thought it was just relief but it wasn't. I couldn't stop thinking about all the time I'd lost to the OA; long enough to normalise all the weird work-arounds I'd developed for getting dressed and to change my choice in shoes to things I didn't have to fasten.

Then this afternoon, I thought I'd try some gardening with my new kneeler (can't recommend this enough, BTW!) and I had the same feeling again. I have always loved gardening but the weeds and overgrown borders and paths were more than just a year's worth of neglect and it made me wonder when I convinced myself that I preferred just working in the greenhouse or even not bothering and just sitting inside with a book or a laptop. How long dd I spend letting myself shrink because normal things like weeding or bending to plant something became too hard and too uncomfortable.

I feel like I should be celebrating all these new things I can do but at the same time it's almost like I'm grieving for all the time I wasted convincing myself that I was just tired or stressed and that there was nothing really wrong. It's very odd!
 
Hi @Zelda

I don't think it is in any way odd at all - it's brilliant and a cause for celebration

I have been going to the gym for a while now and, initially, I had to take my wife to deal with lace tying and sock removal and I felt completely useless. When I managed to do both again, I was so happy - in fact we both were! Ditto, climbing into the bath again and not because I was particularly desperate to have one, more just to know I could

Don't think about the wasted time - there is absolutely nothing you can do about that. Just think about all the time you have ahead of you with perfect hips. This hip thing is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster as we all know - think of the huge progress you have made

Best wishes
Peter
 
Well done @Zelda. That's so amazing that you were able to put your socks on. Very happy for you. Real progress. Try and not think about all that time waste. It's all about the things you now can look forward to doing in the future. You will soon be able to wear whatever shoes you like.
:wowspring::bicycle1: :hiking::horseriding: :swim:
 
So pleased to hear your other hip replacement went ahead in May. Sounds like your recovery is going great too. Fabtastic news :yes!:
 
@Josephine Can you give me some advice?
I rolled over in bed this morning while half asleep but it was more of a slide than a roll as I did it I felt something "pull" in my hip. It was a sharp pain (maybe 5/10) which lessened almost straight away but if standing or walking it comes back again but not quite so sore. It's just behind my incision L1BD - L1BE on your pain chart. To be honest, it feels like I've stretched or torn a bit of healing tissue.
Do I need to see a doctor, do you think? My instinct is to rest and see how it feels later.
 
So pleased to hear your other hip replacement went ahead in May. Sounds like your recovery is going great too. Fabtastic news :yes!:
Thanks!
Yes, it has been going well so far. With the first hip I felt my recovery sort of stalled because I had to baby the left one so much but now I have two, it feels like there's progress every week.
 
My husband's business relies on trade with Europe and with the £ falling and having to renegotiate trade tariffs, it's going to be a sticky period for a while.
I hear you about the shock of all this. But I think it will all settle with time. Too bad the politicians don't have a clue. Where are the true leaders when you need them!
To be honest, it feels like I've stretched or torn a bit of healing tissue.
Josephine should be along soon. Sounds like you might have just stained something that has not moved in that direction for awhile. Does icing help?
 
@Jaycey, how did you know my immediate reaction was to sit on an ice pack? :heehee:

I'm not sure that it's made any difference. It's not sore while I just sit with my feet up but standing and taking a step still makes it hurt. I don't think I've done anything awful but there's a little bit of paranoia just because it's so soon after the op!
 
Please don't worry. It would take more than rolling over on your op side to do any damage. Rest and see if things settle.
 
I think what you've described is simply Trochanteric bursitis. I don't think you've pulled anything but just became aware of it when you rolled over! If it doesn't settle down in a short while, do go and see your GP and see if you can persuade him to give you a cortisone shot in the bursa. I've had mine done twice (about 4 years between each episode!) and it works fine!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom