THR A matching pair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got caught up on your thread and I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing an unexplained pain. From what I've read on BS, if it were something serious like a dislocation, the pain would be excruciating. Hopefully it will calm down in a day or two. Hugs!
 
Thanks @Cynthia777 I knew it wasn't dislocation (definitely not joint pain - how wonderful is that?!) but it didn't feel like a muscle strain either. I have to say after a day of total rest yesterday, the pain is completely gone so I'm going to have another easy day today and hopefully I will be back to normal tomorrow.

How are you? Did you get your concerns about your gait/stride length sorted out?
 
Wonderful news @Zelda! Yesterday I noticed if I concentrate with each step, I get rid of the short stride. I think I just need to retrain my brain. :-) I also noticed when stepping into the pool, I need to hold someone's hand for stability (forgive me if I already posted this...memory is still not up to par). Thanks for asking! :loveshwr:
 
@Zelda - thank you for your beautiful, heartfelt posts about being able to do things again. There are so many reasons along this journey to feel emotional, and one of the great things about this site is that someone can relate to the emotions at each stage. I am with you in being excited about seeing physical progress. High five to you, my friend! But I also remember well the pre-op anxiety and tears from frustration.

I'm glad to hear your most recent pain from rolling over has subsided. I'm having a difficult time getting comfortable at night to sleep. I recently graduated from back sleeping to side sleeping but am finding it a challenge. I wake up a lot, even when I've had pain medication. I'm hanging in there and chalking it up to another thing to work through recovery wise.
 
Hi Sommers, it is nice to have company on this emotional see-saw!

I can't sleep on my side for more than about 45 minutes at the moment. I saw my OS at five weeks and was cleared to sleep on either side or my front and I spend most of the night on my front now but I do toss and turn (slowly!) every couple of hours trying to find a comfortable position. I seem to remember from last time that it was about 8 weeks when I started to feel more natural about turning over and getting comfy in bed so here's hoping you hit that milestone soon!
 
I have to say after a day of total rest yesterday, the pain is completely gone

That is really great news! I can't imagine not being abl to sleep on my side. Sleeping on my back at the moment kills my hips. It really is a whole new world isn't it.

What are the things that you can now do that used to hurt if you did them?
 
What are the things that you can now do that used to hurt if you did them?
There are little individual things like being able to zip up boots or use my exercise bike but it's really just that all the normal things most people take for granted don't cause pain and exhaustion any more. I'm not terrified of going to places I've never been in case there's a long walk from the car park or an unexpected flight of stairs. I can sit down without being scared that I will get stuck in pain when I get up. I just have more energy too.
 
@JMACCA and @Zelda - the return, or in some cases, the start, of some functioning can be subtle indeed.

I've noticed from physical therapy that I can make the abduction motion (moving the leg out and away from the body) more than I could before. I'm doing it now, as if my demonstration helps illustrate what I'm trying to say. It's like if you were pretending to fly with your arms, moving them out and away from your body, but only with your legs. I'm sure there's a clearer description of limb abduction out there, but maybe you somehow get a picture, and not one of me trying to fly with my legs, which really isn't what I meant. :heehee:

Everyone will of course be different. But it might have been nice to have received a list of "upcoming features" one can likely expect with the new hip.

Yesterday in physical therapy, I was asked to pedal one of those foot crank type devices. I call it a foot crank, because it has that key mechanism of a bicycle, but there is no bicycle- only two pedals in a base. I felt stiff at the beginning, but then loosened up some. It was the first time post surgery making that circular/rotation motion with my hip. You know how your hand turns when you use a kitchen whisk that has a little crank? Like that motion, but again, with my leg, pedaling a ghost bike, and not whisking eggs.

Before the surgery, when I'd try to ride my full stationary bike at home, that motion was painful, and I'd find myself leaning a lot to one side, as if I were constantly taking an imaginary sharp curve. Using the riding lawnmower was uncomfortable for the same reason.

I'm hoping for more revelations of functioning- both big and small, to continue happening. For me, their appearance is less than a grand announcement, but rather a subtle noticing, as in, "Hey, would you look at that? I can now do this, or yeah, that doesn't hurt like it did before- even with the remaining recovery pain, I can tell that isn't pre-surgery pain."

I've made light of it a bit here, but as Zelda has mentioned, and as you can expect, it can really be emotional as well. It is truly life changing.

I don't have unrealistic expectations of new-found athletic abilities, but being able to do "normal" things with less or no pain than before feels pretty Superhero level as it is.
 
I was told to expect continuing improvement for up to a year, @Sommers16 . Well done on the bicycling thingy and the abduction - I found it weird the way movements would just suddenly happen. All these little things are steps closer to normality!

I climbed three big flights of stairs yesterday because I was in a car park and couldn't be bothered waiting for the lift. I don't know what possessed me! Very stiff today as a result.

But in better news! - I dismantled my Lady Lair today. I've been sleeping in my own bed most nights for about a fortnight and I don't really need a bed with everything within reachable distance any more. It feels like a big milestone and makes my house look a bit better. I also ceremonially dumped the raised toilet seat in the wheelie bin!
:yes!:
 
I've made light of it a bit here, but as Zelda has mentioned, and as you can expect, it can really be emotional as well. It is truly life changing.

Oh that is so wonderful to hear!

I climbed three big flights of stairs yesterday because I was in a car park and couldn't be bothered waiting for the lift. I don't know what possessed me! Very stiff today as a result.

Go YOU! that is awesome!

I also ceremonially dumped the raised toilet seat in the wheelie bin!

Moving from 'disabled' to 'able' must be such a wonderful feeling!

Thank you both for sharing!
 
It feels like so long since I was here but I promise I have been thinking of you all. As soon as I finish this, I'm going to check everyone's thread and catch up a bit with how you all are. Life got a bit hectic there for a while, as if everything that had been going to happen for the past six months had stored itself up until I was able to cope with it. Thankfully things seem on a more even keel now (touch wood).

Hipwise, things are progressing nicely. I'm at 10 and 22 weeks now and I'm down to one stick with no limp, which I sometimes forget to take with me. Without the stick I do still get a bit of a waddle! I take two sticks on longer walks in case I get tired but I'm managing a solid 30-40 minutes at normal pace now. I actually walked through the forest and up a hill :hiking:the other day, although I did feel effects of the uneven ground on my muscles the next day! I'm still doing physio exercises, especially for my abductors and the ones to keep my step nice and even. My flexibility continues to improve but the left faster than the right which seems weird but I suppose is due to the longer term weakness and greater damage. Going back to work a week on Monday; part time to start with but even that's a scary thought because it has been so long!
 
Great update @Zelda! I would imagine it would be a bit unnerving to go back to work after having been off for so long. It's interesting how we need to mentally gain confidence with our new hips. So far they haven't let me down, so I gradually trust them more. So much of this journey is a mental game and difficult to prepare for. Hugs!
CC
 
It's interesting how we need to mentally gain confidence with our new hips.
I know! I'm going away for the weekend and all I've done is stress about it because I worry about holding people back or overtiring myself or some unspecified "thing" happening. I had to give myself a bit of a pep talk - how hard can dinner, drinks and the theatre be?
:heehee:
 
I'm right there with you girlfriend! I'm leaving for Del Mar in a week and I'm anxious to see how my hips hold up with all the sand walking! :shocked: LOL...yes, a night out sounds scary, that is until the drinks were thrown into the mix! :heehee:
 
I think you'll be fine on the sand. I had a walk along the beach last week and practically skipped for joy at how easy it was. I quite enjoyed the extra work you have to do on soft sand as I think my muscles need the exercise!
 
I remember when I was just a few weeks into recovery wishing that more members stayed around and posted details of the later recovery period. I can understand why people don't because as soon as I've been able to cope with more, life has just filled up again. The forced immobility is gone and with it some of the time for contemplation!

So... I have a six month hip and a three month hip and have been back at work (part time) for a couple of weeks. I've not used my stick at all in that period and I also notice that I'm not reaching for the handrail up and down stairs nearly as much. It's been good to get back to work but the first few days were a challenge. The energy drain from surgery is definitely still lurking. A couple of times, I've thought I could do just one more thing before I go home and then found myself suddenly exhausted. I'm so lucky in being able to start back part time for a few weeks and that I can pretty much control how much I sit and stand during the day.

Aside from work, I'm doing physio exercises and a short stint on the exercise bike each day. I've not got full range of movement back in my right leg but it is still improving. It reacts to exercise like a normal leg. The left one is still a bit more tender - after a day at work which involved lots of stairs I got of a bit of the "rolled up towel" feeling and I almost felt like the LLD had come back. I was glad to be able to rest and ice for a day - I think if I hadn't and that feeling had persisted I'd have been panicking about something having gone wrong, when really I'd just annoyed the muscles a bit.

I continue to walk a little bit further every week - I hit 10 000 steps on the pedometer for the first time on Saturday which felt like a real milestone. It's coming up for a year since I went to the doctor and insisted that there was more wrong with me than just being unfit and overweight and he sent me off for x-rays. I can't quite believe how much has happened in that time! I was going to say that I have my life back, but it feels more like a whole new life because it's now filled with hope and possibilities rather than being scared of doing things or going places.

I continue to feel so grateful for all the support here. The emotional support and friendship has been amazing but the sheer amount of information shared has really helped me navigate the process and gave me confidence asking questions and putting my point of view across to doctors, nurses and physios. Thank you all!
 
It turns out some of that exhaustion and energy drain isn't just from going back to work. I've been put on a course of iron as I've had low haemoglobin since the second surgery. I was a bit surprised by that as I've been eating my way through a bumper crop of kale which was the only thing that I really planted in the veggie garden this year!
 
@Zelda, so great that you seem to be doing so well. It's good that you have written about what life is like a few months down the line and not just what life is like just after post op. I think this is very interesting for other members to read that are still waiting for there op. (me included).

An update about me: I finally got my date in at last ! ! 22nd of September. So I'm getting my lady laird all ready for the big day.

Feeling all different emotions, happy and excited :happydance: and sacred and anxious :scaredycat:but I know all will be worth it in the end.
:walking::biking::horseriding: LOL
 
@Maisie72
I'm so glad you got your date! Don't be scared - despite the little niggles, I honestly feel like I've got my life back!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom