THR A matching pair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JMACCA
Before the second hip I had to limit myself to about 2km/2500 steps in total over the course of the day or the pain by evening would be horrible, and 1km all at once would have been a challenge. I've been hitting that level of activity for the last three or four days now which really feels like a milestone in recovery. I hated the step counter on my watch pre-surgery because it just charted my decline but now I can see the improvement it makes such a difference. I still need the two sticks to stop me limping but the only pain is from tired muscles and that goes away when I rest. I'm so happy but I still feel wary - almost like I don't want to jinx the recovery!

I think my challenge is going to be longer term. I was so inactive with a poor gait for so long that it's going to be a while before I can abandon the sticks and walk limp free. I have real lurch at the moment so I try not to take more than a few steps round a room without them.
 
I am thinking of replacing my dead Fitbit now, have not had one for almost a year but honestly there was no point in depressing myself. Now I am thinking it would be motivating to see the steps increasing! Keep up the good work!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Day 25 in the Big Brother house...

I haven't wanted to post as much because I've been hanging in the doldrums, having that 3-4 week slump. Knowing it's normal doesn't make it any easier - if anything, I've been feeling like I should know better than to mope about. I keep thinking of what I would say to other people in the same situation but it's almost impossible to talk yourself out of your own grumpiness. When my husband dared to give me a motivational speech about the worst being over with and it being a journey but we'd get there, I almost bit his head off! I knew he was right but I wasn't ready to stop wallowing and move on.
On Monday I was having a really good day and then when settling down to watch the football, without thinking I swung my feet up onto the footstool and something protested very strongly! I had shooting pains in my groin and down my leg which thankfully went away with rest, ice and elevation but it was very frustrating to have to rest just when I felt I was getting better.
I've also been frustrated by my continuing reliance on two sticks. It just feels like I've had them so long now. My physio cheered me up a bit by explaining where the lurching in my walk was coming from and giving me some stretches and exercises to loosen my hip movement a bit and help my gait. That made it feel like maybe there was an end in sight.
There are good things too. I've done 4000 steps today which is a new record, I can walk a km every morning and then slightly shorter walk later in the day, I'm off the diclofenac entirely and taking paracetamol only when needed.
It's just that sometimes the closer normality gets, the further it feels away. I'm longing to be able to cosy into bed without having to think about it, to get my own socks on and not have to juggle the sticks every time I go somewhere.
But hey, Italy won the football, I'm having pizza for tea and I might even have a glass of wine with it! I hope the rest of you are feeling positive and recovering well! :wave:
 
Yeah, that post-op depression stuff messes with your mind doesn't it? I know exactly what you mean by realizing you are going through it and knowing it is normal not making it any better. Hang in there.
 
Thanks, @gullimac . I think I'm on the up again now. It's been raining here for a week and I have a feeling when the sun comes out again I'll suddenly feel a lot better!
 
Hi, hope you feeling better. You're doing great. Just remember take things a day at a time. And tomorrow is to be nice and sunny weather. So that should make you feel better.
:SUNsmile:

Just to update you about me. l doing OK. Phone up hospital today to see when l will ever go for my THR. Was told that the earliest will be end of August / beginning of September. Waiting list for my Surgeon is horrendous. He does alot of revisions which takes up alot of theatre time. Not so good news. So I just have to make do. School holidays soon so I've decided I'm going to go away for a few days over the summer. May as well make the most of it.
:cool: :beer:.
 
Quite right @Maisie72 - get a holiday while you can! Anything to make the wait a bit easier! Have you somewhere in mind?

Boring update: 4400 steps today so far and again, aside from my morning walk, I wasn't aware of being that active. I wonder if I'll make 5000 by bedtime? I'm using one stick in the house most of the time despite the limp, simply because of the frustration at not having at least one hand free. Two sticks still for walking any distance.
 
Good to hear you're doing so many steps. @Zelda
:walking:

Thinking of maybe going to the seaside somewhere. Nothing like a bit of sea air to clear away the cobwebs.
:spider::heehee:
 
@Zelda - thanks for being honest about your feelings - the ups and the downs of post-op life. I can relate, and while it may not immediately help during a blue, funky mood knowing this is part of the normal process, I find it does help me be a bit easier on myself about it.
 
@Sommers16 I'm finding this second recovery quite hard mentally even though it's been faster physically in some ways. I think with the other one I knew it was going to be long haul and not to expect too much whereas now I'm just sick of being stuck in the house and not being able to do normal things!
It is a real rollercoaster - I get so excited by small triumphs but then the disappointments hit just as hard.
Do go easy on yourself - it's impossible to be positive and happy all the way through this
 
I guess what is messing with my mind is that I feel like I am progressing more slowly with the second hip. It may be that because it is nice out and I am doing more (watering plants etc) that I just get more tired and make my new hip more sore....but still! I know all I can do is just Ho with the flow so gotta aim to be positive! I hope you can do it too!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
I've just been pruning things in the garden. :flwrysmile:Now I want a second lunch and a nap!
 
I haven't wanted to post as much because I've been hanging in the doldrums,

I think that is the most important time to post - I am kinda glad that I will be having surgery in winter where I can stay cozy and warm, summer would drive me bonkers I think! Sunshine, swimming and plants - the 'pull' to do more would be too much!

4400 steps today so far and again

That is AMAZING!

I've just been pruning things in the garden.

Total bliss!!! Could you do much of that before? I can't wait to garden!
 
@Zelda getting two hips done takes much patience, I already know this is going to be a problem for me as I get ants in the pants very quickly. It must be frustrating waiting for bone to grow :wink: and you've done very well. Your posts are useful and upbeat hope the summer sun cheers you up :SUNsmile:
 
The sun certainly cheered me up @Horseshoe - maybe a bit too much as I'm tired today and my left leg is feeling a bit jumpy all the way from my lower back right down to my ankles. Hoping a day of rest and ice will sort it all out :ice:

@JMACCA As with everything else, it's only now that I can move properly that I realise how much I'd stopped gardening over the last 18 months or so. I love my garden and it does cheer me up to be outside. Looking at yesterday's efforts I can see that the bits of garden that I can reach without bending are going to get lots of attention but the ground level weeds will run rampant and any high pruning will have to wait another year!
 
I did not plant a veggie garden this year, totally aiming to next year when the hips are healed! I love being out in my gardens although right now there are so many weeds in my daylillies I can't bear it! Next year!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
My greenhouse is empty this year and the only use of it is that one of my cats has adopted it as a sleeping place. He curls up on the bench on a pile of netting and sleeps there all day!
:meow:
 
Hey, @JMACCA
Physically, I'm feeling quite good. I've worked out which of my physio exercises was causing me problems and dumped it from my schedule. :yay:

Mentally, I'm a little shell-shocked by the result of the referendum here. Everything suddenly feels very uncertain.

Are you feeling any better? Did you get a new appt to see your doctor about pain management?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom