THR A matching pair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zelda Well done Zelda. Hopefully that's the worse over for you. Just have to patient now and let mother nature do all that healing for you. Look forward to reading your recovery thread.
:chillpill:
 
Hello, @Sommers16 ! How nice of you to ask after me.
The weather is glorious today and I sat in the garden for a while this morning. Things are going well - I'm taking my meds, keeping my hip iced and doing all my stretches without much trouble. The hip is starting to feel a bit more normal, although it still feels like this leg is a bit longer than the other at times. I think it's just the swelling and stiffness that makes it feel like that - my surgeon was quite confident he'd measured it out perfectly and he seems like a man who takes pride in getting things right.

I'm still taking it easy though and most of my day has been watching House of Cards from the sofa. I've got through most of series 2 in a couple of days. I think I'm going to have another couple of days like this, just moving about the house to look after myself, and then start trying to walk a bit further each day. Last time around I remember telling the physio at two weeks that I could comfortably walk about 400m in one go and she seemed to think I should manage a bit more so I'm going to use that as a measure.

How are you? Did you get your pain and nausea sorted out? I honestly can't emphasise what a difference it makes to everything when you feel happy and relaxed.
 
@Zelda- glad to hear you had some garden time today and that things are looking up! I enjoy reading the recovery stories here. Makes me feel less alone.

My surgical leg feels a little longer than it did before, but not longer than my non-operated leg. Maybe it is simply because I am standing with that foot flat as opposed to standing on the ball of the foot as I was doing pre-op.

I've started walking up and down my hallway a bit. I have a small house so there isn't a lot of room to maneuver. That has been both a blessing and an issue. PT hasn't said how much walking I should be doing, so I am just trying to add a little hallway time each day. Trying to get mobility without overdoing it, wherever that sweet spot is. Not ready to venture outdoors for walking, both because I have stairs and because it is so hot out.

I have a doctor's appointment this coming up Wednesday. I've not been having problems with nausea, but I still have some pain and discomfort. I will be out of pain medicine soon, and I have been taking 1 at a time and not 2, since A. I have medicine sensitivity and B. doctor added a muscle relaxer to my bedtime routine. I will see if the doctor can write me one more prescription for pain meds. I don't know what is "normal" or what is "expected," but I don't think I am ready to not be taking something. This is day 12 for me from surgery.

I am taking a shower today by sitting on the shower bench. I look forward to shower days. Such a simple thing I took for granted before. Nothing like being clean and getting hair washed. Appreciating each small victory. :happydance:
 
You're not ready to give up the pain meds until they're sitting there but you forget to take them. I really learned my lesson this time around that you need to be pain free to be mobile and mobile to get better. Day 12 seems very early - looking back at my last recovery thread I was three weeks before I had a day where I didn't take painkillers during the day and I know there was a while after that where I skipped the morning dose but took something mid-afternoon and evenings when I was more tired. Do what works for you.

It's funny in Scotland to hear people talking about it being too hot outside. I hope you can get out a bit. I liked the stage after a few weeks where I could walk enough to build up a bit of a rhythm and feel my steps becoming automatic. My watch tells me I've done 500 steps today so far but it doesn't feel like that!
 
@Zelda
I have been almost certain I have ended up with a LLD, but today I've noticed it's starting to feel like I may be wrong. My limp is suddenly improving a lot, so I'm hopeful it has been due to any internal swelling I may have and the flat footed walking I noticed this past week.

@Sommers16
A few days ago I started concentrating on the "heel toe" walking and it has really helped with the limp.
 
@Cynthia777 When I had the right hip done, I thought it felt odd but after a few days it went away. I hope this is the same thing and just to do with the swelling and way I'm walking.

I hope you notice lots of improvements now you've ditched the walker. I only used one in hospital for the first day because I couldn't get a proper step with it at all. I've got so used to the sticks and the heel toe walking that I was more comfortable with them, even when I was just wobbling to the bathroom and back. It's quite exciting to think soon we'll be walking freely without anything at all!
 
This afternoon I have been walking around without my cane. My limp is almost gone! In fact, when my pain med is in full force, I don't limp at all! Keep in mind you're one month behind me, so I think you're going to be just fine in a few more weeks. Now I need to work on strengthening my leg muscles. Every once in awhile, my knee wants to give out a little. No pain, but more like I've forgotten how to walk correctly. I'm so excited for BOTH of us! Yes! :egypdance:
 
Day 8 and I went for a walk down the drive and back before wandering around the garden. I've done 700 steps already today compared to 500 by teatime on Sunday - it's so good to be able to track progress like that. The day I manage 10 000 I'll be back to celebrate with you all.
 
@Zelda and @Cynthia777 I get so happy following along with folks that have had both hips completed. I can't wait to get there too. Still working on getting rid of my limp. Not sure it will truly happen until I get that left hip (Mr. Wrong) worked on. I also have to remind myself not to take for granted that Mr. Wrong will have the same type of recovery as Mr. Right....it could be even better :fingersx:!

Keep up the great work!
 
Hi @gullimac
I can't believe the difference it makes having two working hips. My whole torso just feels more flexible now. I'm actually having to work quite hard to remember my restrictions which didn't happen until week 4 or 5 last time around.

I know life is complicated with work and family but, honestly, get Mr Wrong sorted out as soon as you can. Normal life seems sooooo close now!
:happydance:

(and before anyone says anything - I'm not overdoing it. I have my feet up, ice applied and the next episode of House of Cards lined up as we speak!)
 
@Zelda Glad your still doing well. You've not seen my recovery thread cause I still not had my op yet. I should of been done in March but still waiting on NHS list. Oh dear not good. I can only get my hip done by one Surgeon who's the only one that does younger patients (I'm 43) in my local hospital. None of the other OS will do people like me. So he's a popular man !!

I was back at PreAssessment clinic for the second time two weeks ago to get my bloods done again. At this rate I will have no blood left by the time I get my op. :heehee:

Nurse at clinic phoned ortho dept up to be told that waiting list is being looked at but still can't give me a date.

So I'm a bit frustrated as I see all other bonesmarties getting their shiny new hip. I just want op over with now. So that's my story so far. Will update you when I ever get my date in. :shrug:
 
1500 steps today.
Pre-op I had to stick to about 2000 or the left hip would flare up in proper agony.
 
Surgeon who's the only one that does younger patients (I'm 43) in my local hospital.
You know, my GP thought I might have to wait but the consultant had no doubts whatsoever. I waited longer for the initial referral than I did for a date once he'd seen my X-rays. I think it's awful that they make age a factor.

Fingers crossed you get a date soon. How are you coping in the mean time?
 
Bit stiff today with a small niggly groin pain. I think it's just active days in a row. I thought I'd been good yesterday and rested a lot but when I looked at the step counter I'd done more on my "rest" day than the "active" day before it.
:heehee:
Today I am being very strict with myself and also skiving off the physio exercises to have a proper rest.:sleep:
 
Hi @Zelda - well done on having your second hip done. I still have to wait a few months for mine
Just think - you have all that football to watch. Trust you will be supporting England ... :)
 
Sorry, @PS46 but Italy are my team when Scotland don't qualify (so in most tournaments :bawl:).

I'll need to get wallchart up so I can keep track of the groups.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom