TKR A Lefty for kneeper

Yes good sign. I felt like my knee was getting better when I noticed my back pain again!
 
Well, I'm totally off the narcotics and back to my usual tylenol 3x day which is doing the trick for the knee. It gets a bit uncomfortable overnight still (positional), but not bad. I am getting out and about more and am able to do steps foot over foot :yay:--but slowly and with the railing.
I'm not sure if I've gained ROM but motions do feel more comfortable. I only feel like I need to ice about once day depending on what I've been up to.

I'm a bit bummed that I'm feeling better just in time for the summer to be over--but also appreciative that i had the whole summer to recover. _Back to work for meetings & prep next week.

I've got a way to go, but I feel like the major recovery period is done. Now it's the "mopping up" stage that will last a few months.

I laid around and napped yesterday--methotrexate aftereffects. :zzz: :sick: @chestnc and others know what I mean.:wink:
 
Woke up in the middle of the night with an awful ache in my knee - and realized it was because I had rolled myself over onto my side sometime in the night. I don't think my sleeping brain gives a hoot about my knee. The whole sleeping on the back thing is getting old and I can hardly get any rest between being uncomfortable and the snoring. It is of course the most delicate and feminine snore and wouldn't wake anyone but myself. And my husband. Well, the cat doesn't like it either. *sighs*
 
It will gradually get better @dovemck For me it's just staying in one position for a while that seems to aggravate it overnight.
I'm sleeping pretty well, but the energy level has a ways to go.
 
:hi: @kneeper
Hello, I have just read your posts from the first day until our post this evening, as you're about about 6 weeks ahead of me (June 2,2014 vs. July 17,2014).

This was to see more about your recovery journey and see what I might also encounter along the way. Although, I don't have the addition of RA that you have.

I like you sensible approach using the BS mantra & guide and working that into your PT programme and your pain medication adaptations.

I'll be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow and was measured today at 90% Flexion and -10% extension and reading your recovery journal has encouraged me that these will improve.

It has been very interesting reading about your recovery and hope that going back to school next week does not cause any problems.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Besides the low stamina (some of which is probably related to the fibro) my one lingering issue is a tightness in the back/outer side of my knee. It makes going up stairs a little painful. But I'm actually doing down stairs pretty well. Interesting because it took me what felt like forever to do down stairs foot over foot last time. I'm going to try icing the back of my knee and maybe try some heat. Anyone have any thoughts on this? @Josephine
Likely it will just take time. I'll ask the PA at my follow up appointment this next week.
 
@kneeper
I'm just the opposite, going up the stairs with very little difficulty, but going down the stairs super hard !
Cathie
 
Yes, sounds like a 'swelling in back of knee' issue. What is your ROM?
FWIW it took me over 4 months to do stairs 'normally'!
 
@Josephine

Thank you for your concern & reply.

On Friday, the PT measured my Flexion at 95% and I'm at 5 weeks post-op.

Have had a very long term extension issue since a fall in 2011.

Kind regards,
Cathie
 
@kneeper - it does sound like swelling in the back of your knee. I felt something "roll" (sometimes - especially when I'm real swollen) when I go up the stairs. My OS just told me that he was sure it was fluid since the back of the knee is dependent & the fluid will just naturally collect there. Re: the stairs, I'm going up & down normally just using the railing, it ain't pretty cuz I'm still having twinges around the knee - in the back of the knee when I go up & down the front of the lower quad when I go down. Nothing big, but I do feel it. I must admit, I'm sleeping like a baby - not my norm - but I think I also still have a huge energy drain - not to mention I am so out of shape! Onward is my new motto!
 
On Friday, the PT measured my Flexion at 95% and I'm at 5 weeks post-op.
95 degrees I think you mean! But never the less, it's pretty good for 5 weeks out. Don't push it or let it be pushed. It will get there all on its own.
 
@kneeper, I'm so pleased for you that generally your recovery is going so well. I'm not at all envious of you going back to school next week, as an ex teacher I am really appreciating my retirement, and being able for the first time in my life to have holidays in June and September. Wishing you well, do take care and don't overdo it when you do return. Best wishes and lots of hugs xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kneeper

I'm also retired from Adult Education since 31 August 2013 and @Ellejay says, it's is a lovely feeling that retirement brings in September.

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Has anyone ever done any research into the professions that have the most TKRs? The last physio I saw said that she had seen so many infant/primary teachers with knee problems recently. She put it down to to the low chairs we had to sit on :chinstroke:.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom