Guest viewing is limited

TKR A Lefty for kneeper

It's knee-versary time again. How the time flies! I've simply updated my anniversary post from a couple of years ago as it still holds true. Perhaps someone will find it helpful.

My right knee is 7 years old as of a few days ago and Lefty is 4 years old tomorrow. I had tkrs due to degeneration from jRA (juvenile) #rheumatoidarthritis . My ROM was limited to about 108-110 for many years and today I'm at least 115, which I think is a success. My OS was pleased. The key thing is, I can pretty much do what I want to do.
  • I had uneventful recoveries with slow and steady progress. (It did take weeks for the swelling to come down, don't get me wrong.) :wink:I was well prepped by my OS to expect a year for full recovery and had Bonesmart for support and the "is this normal?" double checks as well. It really helped to have a full 12 weeks off work.
  • Lefty feels just like a natural knee and I rarely think of it. :roseshwr:
  • Righty also feels good, though it sometimes gets a little stiff if I've been sitting or standing a long time. But it loosens up quickly. (This knee had been an issue for many years before surgery.)
My only real complaint with Righty is some chronic quad tendonitis (that can flare up if I overdo certain things) that I suspect could have been partly pre-existing but a lot from letting PT have me do things like squats too early. I was too willing to be compliant and did not listen to my better judgment.:no-fin:

*Note that I didn't let them make me do squats (even mini-squats) with Lefty. So you can see why my hobby horse is telling people to not let PTs push you to do squats early. :) I found the strengthening happened naturally as I recovered and could do more.

So for me, slow and steady won the race. That and a good surgeon to start with.

I am working, shopping, gardening and doing all kinds of daily activities without the knees running my life. :walking:

So a fairly dull story, but with tkr, boring is good! :)
 
Thanks for this update! Those of us who are “in the process” have trouble believing that we’ll be ok down the road! We sort of know it in our heads but it seems a long way off!
 
Just what I needed to read. At 11 weeks, I'm still using a cane and walking with a limp. It doesn't take much to overdo it and have to rest for a few days. I guess I had hoped and expected that I would be walking more naturally and without a cane by now. Thanks to this forum, I know better. Your update reminds me to be patient. Slow and easy finishes the race. Thanks.
 
Nice to hear, Kneeper!! my right knee is just like a real knee--but I had it replaced sooner in the process of arthritis. In retrospect, I wish I had done the right sooner too.
 
Hope your recovery is continuing to go slow and steady … and with great progress! :yes!:
 
I had my 5 year anniversary check up on Lefty this week (and on Righty--can it be 8 years already?) for good measure :heehee: My OS likes to follow up every few years because both are uncemented. Knees feel fine and the X-rays look great! :roseshwr: to my OS. :)
 
So delighted to hear that kneeper.

Just found out the hubs, the Sainted Joe, is going to need a knee replacement of his own. :bawl:What a copy cat!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom