TKR A Lefty for kneeper

Good question @Pumpkln. I guess when we're not focusing on numbers I do find it helpful. She has me do different movements and balance work etc. One thing that is helpful is that she can identify where I still have weaknesses--such as the muscles on the outside of my thighs. this affects my walking.
I have a few more appointments scheduled and I think I'll do those but say no if they want to schedule more. At that point I think I'll have had all the guidance I need.
 
Another milestone. I accidentally walked up the step from my family room starting with my tkr leg. I had a split second of panic when I realized what I was doing---but I did it fine! :egypdance:

I need to figure out a pain med schedule that works. I'm down to 3 doses a day, but I need to make sure I have something before bed or it will be like last night I was taking tylenol at 2AM. :sad: I need something in the morning due to the RA--so I think I'm just going to have a long stretch mid-day. Hopefully doing the voltaren gel in between will help compensate. But I don't think I'll need the meds much longer. Good thing, because I think I have about 1 week left on the prescription.
if I need something before bed a bit longer, I think the OS or my rheumy might give me a bit more. Hopefully I'll be switched to only tylenol by then though.
 
After my big talk yesterday :doh: I was more active today and am on dose 3 of the hydro already.
I didn't think I did that much--exercises in the AM, puttering around the garage a little bit and watering some plants in the yard. It was such a nice day that it felt good to be outside.
It definitely goes to show that it's a day to day process.

I was hoping to be able to cut the grass myself soon--I hate to keep imposing on my friend who is doing it--but it may be a few more weeks.

One of the pain issues is my posterior tibial tendinitis in the left leg. :groan:(apparently this is not uncommon in RA patients)
I see the orthotist tomorrow about getting new inserts that will work with my newly straight left leg. :yes!: I'm sure having correct orthotics should help the leg and foot and help me walk better.

My knee gets warm ( but not as bad as it was) but it doesn't look very swollen. I'm still icing a few times a day, though.:chillpill: I'm finding a kind of pattern of doing some stuff then icing and elevating and then maybe doing something else later.

I try not to get down when I see people doing a lot more :tennis2:when they're in the same recovery week I am. This is definitely an individual sport--we all heal at different paces.
 
Kneeper,
Sounds like you new knee is coming along, hope you get the RA symptoms sorted out. Like you I am seeing the orthotist tomorrow about some new inserts.
Wishing us both good luck,
 
Congrats on the steps! I know what you mean about maybe doing too much. You don't realize it & it catches up with you. I still have a swollen, warm knee too. Not as bad as 4 weeks ago, but still not back to normal.
 
Hi Kneeper, just checking in to see how you are doing. Sounds like you are doing well. Isn't it so not good when we try to do things because we feel better and then Wham :swoon:that RA pain smacks you back a step or two. Wow you must be doing good if you want to mow the lawn. I know how you feel. You want to be as independent as you can. I have not yet to mow the lawn since my TKR, though I am sure I could. My lawn mower is also an electric self propelled one so it wouldn't be a struggle. I am glad I have shifted that job to my two sons. It allows me more time to fiddle with my plants and garden. Even at 9 months, my knee sometimes swells a little and I still need the ice as well at times. So glad you are feeling better. I am still on pain meds. The RA is not under control so pain management is trying to to keep the pain at bay. That is great that you are able to bump down on the number of meds taken. I hope the RA continues to stay away so you can just focus on healing the knee. Keep up the good work. :yahoo: :thumb:
 
@Pumpkln how did the orthotics appointment go? At mine she took my current orthotics into another room and did some kind of adjustment to them. She said try this for a while and see if it's better.
 
The appointment went well, I will be able to pick them up on Tuesday at 11, and see how they work. How are you adjusted orthotics working?
I have a feeling I will be in for more that one adjustment. and for posting.
 
Hi @kneeper, I always try to lead with my new knee. If I don't it often doesn't lift high enough & I trip.
Usually about the third step. Good Luck.
 
Tomorrow should be my last PT day. I feel like at this point I have all the exercises etc. to do on my own.

I will ask about my back though. This is not a new problem, but I have pain in my low back and sort of groin/hip area that's especially bad if I sit for a long time. I was sitting for a long time today sorting papers and it got pretty bad.
I'm not sure if I've got back or hip issues or both. Muscles, joint? Maybe the PT will have some ideas. Otherwise I may have to ask my rheumy.
 
Have you tried a heating pad? It's the only way I can sit for any amount of time. Feel better!
 
I have pain in mr right hip after sitting. I was having some pain before surgery because of the way I walked.
 
Kneeper,
How are your low back and hip doing? How are your adjusted orthotics working?
I need to go in for an adjustment, I need more posting.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
 
I think the orthotics are ok--at first I thought they were worse, but the feet felt pretty good the last couple of days.

I've been using the heating pad and muscle relaxer periodically which seems to help the back a bit.

I am now officially released from PT!:yes!: I'm only at between 105-108, but that's where I was before the surgery so that was my *minimum* goal. I'm going to keep working on the stretches etc. and hope to gain a bit more.

I still find that Tylenol alone isn't cutting it for the pain. I need a hydrocodone once or twice a day to calm things down. Mostly I'm feeling it in the quad area. :( Finding the balance between doing enough but also not wanting to aggravate the soft tissue (given my chronic issues in the other quad post tkr) is tough.

I feel like slowly but steadily is probably the way to go for me, especially with the fibromyalgia and RA.
I'm still using the cane for going up steps b/c it still seems a bit too stressful on the knee without.


I've basically resumed my household activities (though pacing them) and have started going in to work a couple of hours here and there to prep for the semester. Since it's on my own time, I can decided when/if to go in and how much. Unfortunately since it's on my own time, no $$. :wink:
 
Glad the orthotics are working for you.
With RA and fibromyalgia it is good you are taking it slowly.
I use crutches to go up/down stairs.
It takes awhile for all the tissues to settle down.
Take care,


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
The knee still feels a little stiff and I get really fatigued but I'm getting around pretty well. I'm trying to take a short walk every day to start building up stamina. I was going to do some school work at home yesterday but felt like I was too tired to focus. :yawn:
 
Awwww.....remember, you're still fairly early in your recovery. Six months is the normal time most folks begin to feel really human again. Just rest when your body tells you and soon you'll be there!!
 
Thanks, @Jamie . I know better, but part of me feels like a slacker. Good to be reinforced that my instinct not to overdo :bicycle2: isn't sheer laziness.
I'm still using the cane on stairs for extra support, but I'm going foot over foot both ways. :yes!:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] A Lefty for kneeper
@kneeper, hope you have a good day!
 
Today my bad shoulder hurts worse than my knee--a good sign? :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom