Guest viewing is limited

TKR A Lefty for kneeper

The grass cutting is tough because my yard has lots of uneven ground--almost like little ruts etc. I did the front yard a bit earlier and am now icing with Mark Harmon (NCIS marathon:wink:.) I will try the back maybe tomorrow if the weather cooperates.
Day by day and week by week is the story of knee recovery isn't it? :ice:
 
Well, back to school full time and "lefty" is holding up pretty well. But I do try to ice at lunchtime, spend the evening :ice: and have taken a norco at night (I have a few left from my prescription). I attempt to fight the temptation to ODIC. I'm also :dead: heading to bed early as I'm pretty zonked. But the knee's better than pre-surgery so all is good.
 
I'm holding up pretty well too, but I'm still waiting on sleeping through the night! I thought for sure that going back to school would do it, but not there yet. Maybe it will happen tonight. Staying hopeful!
 
@kneeper @H2OPoloMom So glad your starts have been good. Today was my first day with students and my classes are good. I didn't get a chance to ice at all or elevate more than a few minutes at a time. To many distractions and things that need doing!!

I've also saved a couple of my meds in case I needed them should the little darlings and all that push me to ODIC!!! I got home and iced for an hour. Felt great, but am feeling stiff and sore. . . But not in my knee so much; I just have the back to school aches!!!
 
@msmechanic58 @kneeper @Ollie @H2OPoloMom

Good Morning (for me anyway it's 9:30 am).
Hopefully, where ever you are that you are still sleeping or at least weren't awake too often during the night.

Been looking at our posts- most of us are LTKR and some BTKR and are or have been teachers (I took early retirement last year as of 31 August 2013).so lots of full Lefties and Bi-Lefities here !

:what: Is there a connection between teaching & TKR ?

I'm sure there is some Government Grant available to do an in depth research study :heehee:
You know when you read about expensive "studies" that show that people are happier when the sun shines,...:rotfl:

Well, Teachers of BoneSmart have a good day in school today - and at least it is a four day week !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@kneeper Thank you for sharing your recovery journey. It was especially helpful as I also have RA. I was excited to read about you going down the stairs normally. I have not been able to do that since my meniscus tear and arthroscopy 5 years ago. Hope I am able to do so after TKR.
 
I was a dental nurse first then an ed support assistant for 15 years. I miss working with kids .
Best of luck to you girls going back to school with your tkrs .
 
@kneeper Thank you for sharing your recovery journey. It was especially helpful as I also have RA. I was excited to read about you going down the stairs normally. I have not been able to do that since my meniscus tear and arthroscopy 5 years ago. Hope I am able to do so after TKR.
I do go down a little bit slower than "normal" people and hold the railing but it's getting better. And it's getting a bit better going up too.
 
I notice I'm breathing a little harder than normal when I do activities like cut grass, stairs, walk etc. I wonder if that's the energy drain, lack of conditioning since the surgery or if I might be a little anemic. I'm usually fairly borderline. I don't see my rheumy for about another month but I wonder if I should ask about doing my usual check-up blood work a little early?
@Josephine
 
Wouldn't hurt to have the blood workup a little early. You are barely 3 months, my best guess is the energy drain is a part of your fatigue.
Hope you start feeling better soon,
 
@kneeper

I don't have RA, but, I have also noticed since my surgery breathless at times when walking or going up & down stairs or at the end of my PT session.

For me, and maybe not for you, I am putting this down to energy drain and also being less active.
Before my July surgery, I was walking 30 minutes most days or once a week a 45 minute walk into town and played 9 holes of golf 1-2 times each week.

Know that will not have the energy for theses activities for a long time into my recovery.

But, of course if you are worried, maybe early blood work up would put your mind at ease.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
That's my experience also which I've been chalking up to lack of conditioning and the post op fatigue factor. I huff and puff with any kind of exertion. Right now I'm at altitude - about 6000 feet in the mountains. So combine all that with the fatigue us sea level people normally feel at altitude and the huffing & puffing is way worse! But I. Back home in 3 days so I should go back to baseline.
 
Thanks everyone. I think I'm thinking about it more it since I *was* anemic last time and went quite a while before finding that out. If it doesn't improve over the next couple of weeks I may make a call to see about running the blood tests a little early. In the meantime it's all about pacing myself and getting enough rest. I have learned over the years that I do need to rest and get enough sleep at night. That rule is even more relevant now.

The knee is really feeling pretty good so long as I pace myself. It does get stiff and achy with too much standing (at work) or sitting, but does loosen up pretty well.

But I still have that pesky tightness/pain in the back of my knee when going up stairs. I think I need to keep working on stretching/mobility. I didn't have this with the last knee. But as we know, no two knees are alike.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom