Guest viewing is limited

TKR A Lefty for kneeper

Sorry to hear of your pain @chestnc. I hope your doctor can offer some solutions. Getting pain medication here us not easy. I see a neurologist who helps me manage my pain. I have to physically pick up my prescriptions as they cannot do refills thanks to our drug laws. He does run a report monthly with the state to check on all my controlled drug scripts. I was surprised when a cough syrup with codeine I was prescribed flagged me! It is easier to buy illegal drugs here than orescrived obes - pretty sad. Thanks to you and @kneeper to explain some things about #RA Hope you both have restful pain free weekends. Xoxo
 
I know my RA symptoms are mild compared to a lot of people, (and I'm thankful for that) but they are still there. For example, my ankle on the tkr side is a bit stiff and sore so some of the rom exercises actually can cause it to hurt due to the limited ankle rom. and then add my posterior tibial tendinitis which means my inner ankle and calf hurt and I wind up with more pain after trying to do steps & other activities.

It's not that I don't want to do those, it's that I think I have to build up a bit slower or wind up in major pain into the next day. I mean when you're taking 8 hydrocodone a day and using voltaren gel and are still in pain in the non-knee areas (partly from the PT), that's not nothin'.
I'm used to having some pain every day, but this is stuff that i think could be at least somewhat avoidable with a careful approach.

I think PTs have their "script" and it takes a bit of a shake to get them to actually listen to you. They think they know what you're going to say and have their "canned" response. :skep: I will have to work on "educating" my PT.
I do like her approach which is generally encouraging rather than "big stick." :) At least until last time which I guess I could say was "little stick." :heehee:

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble and think out loud. :chinstroke:
 
Kneeper,
Keep educating your PT, they work for you, and need to listen to what you have to say. You have a confounding diagnosis (RA) that needs to be accomodated when treating your TKR.
No canned treatments, or responses should be tolerated.
 
An approach that might be helpful is to ask your PT how your plan of care differs from someone with a TKR who does not have RA. The response should be very telling. They should be able to clearly articulate how they have accommodated your RA in their plan. If they cannot, then I would be asking them why they didn't and that you expect their plan to change based on your RA.
 
@kneeper @hopefaith .
You mentioned on hopefaith's post that my operated knee looks like the good one! Yes, I certainly agree! I speak very highly of of my PT as he is more focused at the moment on reducing my pain. As you prob know I went back to work part time 3 weeks after surgery and have been back full time for last 3 weeks. Started outpatient PT 2 weeks ago. I was fine until my PT looked like he was double booked. He started out with a massage and the heat on my knee and had me do 8 leg raises.. So far, so good. . Then he left while I was icing my knee, came back and put me on the bike, showed me what to do and went to the other patient. Well, I have been in pain ever since both knees! Worked yesterday and took HYDROcodone every 3 and 1/2 hours, came home and changed clothes and fell asleep on couch until midnight, waking up with great pain in both knees! Took my meds, got icing machine out and an ice bag for the so called Nonoperated knee and was awake until about 4am. Fell asleep and woke up again at 6am! Finally had to get my walker to get up and move from bed to recliner. Got more ice, took my breakthrough pain pill, used my tens unit and had coffee. Then switched knees and did the exact same thing. Ooh, what a painful day! Hubby cooked me eggs, bacon and grits, Starbucks coffee and after eating I fell asleep and woke up at 4pm. I have alternately been.icing both knees and using tens unit on both knees. Please do not do anything that hurts you, or makes you hurt the day after. I am going to tell him that I just cannot do the bike as I am up and down all day long at work, and have to go back to work after therapy. I do the eliptical bike at home with no problems going all the way around. But at this point I feel like I just got out of surgery for both knees! What an up and down roller coaster ride, I was beginning to think I was not going to hurt any more".

My rom is good and my extension not so good. I am going to my OS Monday so I am sure he will want to dupes is my other knee,

As far as the compression hose, my PT told me to get them too, I still have one left from the hospital and I cut the elastic off the top..and it does no roll! You might want to try that!

I wish you much less pain, and take it slow, because you only have one life, no need to rush when their is pain involved! Thanks for all your earlier posts to me and everyone else, you have been such an encourager! I am so glad you received your refill on pain meds.
@hopefaith
I will send you pm as soon as I can. Can you tell I'm a tad discouraged?

Love you guys! And prayers for you both!


[Bonesmart.org] A Lefty for kneeper
 
Hi @kneeper I am sorry that you are having so to deal with on top of the RA pain that you are having to. I wonder with so many surgeries of this type why some pt still do not understand how to do gentle pt and how to treat patients with tactics that relax rather then stress. I was worried when after the first few visits with in home pt a new pt was sent. The first pt was much gentler and no mention of pushing till the replacement one came. First visit she told me that my rom was not high enough. I left the hospital at 85 degrees and the surgeon seemed pleased. I was told that if it did not improve my doctor would surely force a bend. I was not ready for this aggressive treatment from the pt as I had only been home for a few days and had no idea this could happen.
Pushing her way only made it worse and swelling started to get bad. Osteoarthritis is bad enough but having RA as well would only make your situation even worse to handle. I have always appreciated the caring way that you have treated my questions and know that you have helped so many others with theirs to. Wishing you the best and hoping that they can help get your pain to calm down and help to make things easier for you. The stable feeling the replacement has given my right knee is so appreciated. My knee still swells and the bend required did not happen. Now understand why as hard as they pushed and how uncomfortable they made me feel that the bend they expected was not going to happen.

Still happy with my results. Hoping all gets so much easier for you and knowing you will do great. Thanks to you and all of the moderators and advisors and Josephine as wwll who have helped to give us a better understanding of our knees needs. Wishing you the very best Holly
 
Love the poster @Quasi ! I do have what they call "tubigrip" (brand name) which is a kind of compression sleeve that is supposed to help with the swelling. I think it may be helping. Hard to tell. The knee looks fairly good to me and at times is actually fairly cool. In between it heats up.

Yes, with you being back and work I'd think you'd have to be selective in your PT activities so you're not making things worse. Sorry you had such a bad day with both knees.
 
Well, I've been a bit less stiff in the morning the last couple of days which I think is progress. Sleep is still kind of interrupted but I'm able to lie on my side much more. I still get a nap attack most days where I need to lie down in the afternoon. I'm doing more daily activities like laundry, light cooking, doing dishes etc. I do pace myself though. No vacuuming or mopping yet. Good thing I'm not an obsessive housekeeper. :heehee: Luckily I have some help with that periodically.

I'm not up to 90 degrees yet, but I feel like I might have gained a little bit in the last few days. I've been able to move the exercise bike seat a hair forward and still do rotations. :biking: It's a bit of a struggle and I feel it in my upper thigh muscles though.
It kind of stinks to be a turtle. :(
 
Hi @kneeper Hope you are doing well and nice to hear you are able to sleep a bit on your side. I really missed that to when couldn't sleep on my side never have been a back sleeper. Nice to be on your excersize bike and doing that great. I found it hard to pedal full rotations left off just pedaling back and forth but even though I love riding a bike before surgery did not manage that rotations you are doing nice accomplishment. I hope you are not having as much pain that makes it hard for the other stuff. My rom was frustrating to achieve during my time.
I was not frustrated until others were telling me to do more then my outlook changed better off going at your knees pace that is my goal next time. Your posts are inspiring. Your progress is coming along nicely . So much emphasis on the bend after this surgery which for me just did not come as fast as other people have managed but still better then the knee was managing before surgery. You posts are very calmng as you are handling it so nicely and for those of us who have had difficulties with the process of bending you give us comfort that things will get easier. You are doing wonderful and nice to be able to share in your accomplishments. Wishing you the best and thanks for inspiring posts. Holly
 
It's funny after reading so many posts about sleeping on your side. I've been sleeping on both sides since day 2 post op. I actually didn't have a choice - as I was getting ready for sleep the nurse wanted me on my side so on my side I went! I was propped with pillows and one between my legs, and not all the over, but I never thought twice about sleeping in that position from then on. I never gave it much thought till recently, but maybe the tough love approach worked for me - although they did it to keep my lungs clear - not to make it easier for me!
 
Hi @kneeper I'm about the same stage as you with ROM but I'm unable to do a full rotation on my static exercise bike. I am quite a way off. Is you bike a standard upright bike? I'm still going backwards and forwards hoping one day that I make it round.

I'm glad you are able to do more round the house. I have to pace myself too. I guess we are both turtles, but we will get there. We are 6 weeks out from the op today. I don't think we are doing so bad, we are still progressing.
 
It's funny after reading so many posts about sleeping on your side. I've been sleeping on both sides since day 2 post op. I actually didn't have a choice - as I was getting ready for sleep the nurse wanted me on my side so on my side I went! I was propped with pillows and one between my legs, and not all the over, but I never thought twice about sleeping in that position from then on. I never gave it much thought till recently, but maybe the tough love approach worked for me - although they did it to keep my lungs clear - not to make it easier for me!
They did something similar with me, but I could never get a system to work at home. Interesting about the lungs. They did seem pleased when I asked for help getting on my side. I said sorry to bother you and they said "no, it's good--we want you changing position"
 
My progress was turtle like to but as they say slow and steady wins the race. I did not know anyone other then my Mom who had this type of surgery went into it with a positive attitude and until told other wise by pt at clinic thought I was doing good. I was very unsure how the whole thing would go and really never thought when the surgery was done that bending would be a problem how would you know if it had never happened before. Before surgery knowing what to ask before it happened how would you know I didn't even know after my Moms surgery and I was her caregiver she said a bit uncomfortable.

So many people who do not have the experience seem to have the idea that new knee how could you have any pain, why can't you move better new knee so should walk instantllshould be like being a new person new parts so what is the problem. Boy are those ideas wrong. One guy told my brother that he had a replacement done on both knees and never had a problem. My brother said he told him that when the old knees were gone anything that would cause pain was gone to. My brother was surprised to hear that it was not the way we all experience it.

I believed what I was told so silly now looking at it should have known better. Bonesmart woke me up and made me feel that I was feeling normally this was the way things went. I was told that just had to give it time. Thanks kneeper You and the other wonderful people I have been fortunate to share with have made and @pumpkin to this journey easier. Wishing you all lotsof painfree days and knowing that as you have taught me that all will work out great. Holly
 
Hi @kneeper I'm about the same stage as you with ROM but I'm unable to do a full rotation on my static exercise bike. I am quite a way off. Is you bike a standard upright bike? I'm still going backwards and forwards hoping one day that I make it round.

I'm glad you are able to do more round the house. I have to pace myself too. I guess we are both turtles, but we will get there. We are 6 weeks out from the op today. I don't think we are doing so bad, we are still progressing.
That's right. 6 weeks!
We're progressing. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

My exercise bike is a semi-recumbent. Much easier to get on and off of than a regular exercise bike but not actually reclining. Mine looks something like the ones pictured here: broken link removed: https://exercise-bikes.findthebest.com/compare/212-213/R18-Semi-Recumbent-vs-R25-Semi-Recumbent These are about the best pictures I could find.
I'm sure I didn't pay that much 10 years ago.

I'm not sure if it is easier to get a rotation on my bike vs an upright bike, but I'd think it is similar as far as adjusting the seat up/down vs forward/backward. :scratch:
 
Kneeper your bike looks to have more adjustment back and forwards than mine. I think that if I could move the seat further backwards it would be easier to make a rotation. I am probably going to try a recumbent bike at the physios tomorrow so I'll see if that helps
 
I like the way that bike looks. I found the hardest part for me was trying to get on excersize bike at pt. Seat was down to almost lowest setting but short legs and hard to hoist up to sit. That style looks much more comfortable to use and legs positioning looks more like it would be easier to get up on.
 
I definitely felt precariously perched on the upright bike at PT.
 
Good news. After the "scare talk" by the PT last week, what you guys predicted (and I knew deep down) happened. I got 92 in PT today! :yes!:
Saw the OS and he said I'm on the right track.
I bopped out the office (well as much as I can) :heehee:

Onward!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom