THR A Bionic Octopus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooow... 5.8 ... octopus, that is so scary, are you ok?

I hope there are not too many large aftershocks
 
zauberflöte, was saying there was one under her daughter's house in 2011. Not mine, thankfully!!!
 
Ooops.... didn't read far enough back... :) mainly because NZ has had recent earthquakes.. Wrong Island for you octopus?

I remember some time ago being caught in a 5+ earthquake in the Northern Territory, it sounded like a huge train heading straight for the house... the epi center was way north in the Timor Sea... not fun!

@zauberflote... Some interesting images of the Tectonic Plates... They fascinate me !

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...eK-D4TlkAXmr4FQ&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672
 
Poppet thanks for those! I've always wanted to learn more about geology and related sciences, someday when I have both the time and the inclination. I just looked that 2011 earthquake up, and I'd forgotten they'd had to close the Washington Monument because of cracks in the top section, and a few decorative pinnacles fell of the National Cathedral , both in Washington DC (District of Columbia, our not-a-state whose auto license plate reads "taxation without representation", which was a rallying cry for the American Revolution!) and that is nearly 100 miles away from the epicenter!
 
zauberflöte, it is fascinating when you see a map like the following of all the earthquakes happening or happened in the world daily. The tectonic plates are moving and shifting all the time..

https://earthquakestoday.info/

This is a good site, lots more info which comes from the major US watchdog.. I like this one because I can drill down.. Depending how deep the earthquake is at its epi centre. We get them in the Timor sea, right on the tectonic plate and quite shallow, maybe just 8-10 miles deep and we can feel them hundreds of miles (k's for us) away... It fascinates me. Sure does put perspective into all the small things I sweat about in a day in my life when I see how fragile earth is!

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
 
Sorry if we have derailed your thread my dear Kiwi friend octopus, but it is very relevant for NZ as both north and south islands are prone to earthquakes and have tectonic plates close :) xx
 
How was your day octopus, great that it is Friday evening.. Anything interesting planned for the weekend?
 
Poppet, yes I'm glad it's the weekend. I'm off to the Auckland Food Show today, (sat), must take a big bag! And maybe movies tonight. Then tomorrow hopefully a nice relaxing day, Sunday, a walk on the beach or something. I hear the weather is supposed to be bad but from the sounds of things, it hasn't started yet.

Hope you are feeling a bit better!
 
octopus sounds wonderful... Enjoy, especially the walk on the beach... Get the sand between your toes for me :)

Me, I am still a bit under the weather with this pneumonia, so a very quiet weekend before going back to work on Monday, armed with my puffer (and spacer), Bonningtons Irish Moss tough syrup, antibiotics, cough lollies and paracetamol... My desk is going to look like a pharmacy, lol... Xx
 
The food show was great bought too much! But the best news is, no problems with three and a half hours walking! No pain at all! This was certainly something I couldn't contemplate doing five months ago.
 
octopus I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't even really know where New Zealand was until I looked it up today!! I saw a lot of pictures of it and it looks positively lovely. So you are basically "down under" also, it looks like -- down by Australia, it looks like. So is it winter where you are?
 
Yes Butterfly, NZ and Australia are very close friends and neighbors and both in winter at the moment, but Spring is just a few weeks away on 1 September :)

We often refer to being across the ditch from each other :)
 
octopus, how fantastic all that walking and no pain... Ain't these new hips of ours just great :)

What did you buy?
 
Hi Butterfly, thanks for looking us up, yes, we are very lucky, it is so beautiful here. My avatar pic was taken at one of my favourite beaches. This one is not a lovely sandy beach that one would lay on in the sun, being stones, but is a fantastic one for beach combing, it's always different, the tide is quite strong here and can change the shape of the beach quite a lot. I see from your signature that you have two THRs coming up, how are you getting along?

Poppet I'm trying to find healthier food options, so I bought some corn that had been freeze dried, quite tasty for a snack, some miso soup paste, some jasmine rice which has lots of different grains in it, was very nice, and a few other things. Oh, and some not so healthy but absolutely essential chocolate. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] A Bionic Octopus!


This is my excuse... Hehehehehe !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom