Guest viewing is limited

THR A Bionic Octopus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
octopus wow I love that journal. I used to try to do things like that, and would end up just as disappointed in myself as I could be. 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional, visual art is not my strength LOL (skigirl love your fabric art :) )
I'm glad you're coming along so well, but I do feel for you heading into those short cold days of winter. I always get depressed during our winter, and we live at a latitude that we have 8 hours of sun a day at the shortest! I cannot imagine living in Scandinavia or Alaska...
 
Thanks zauberflöte. Only another month losing daylight and then we start to gain it again. I love the shortest day, to me it means summer is on the way!

Allycat, ByGosh, skigirl, daykat & anyone else I've missed (sorry), I've started that art thread in the social room. Come and join me.
 
Great Idea!! Although I like it better when the days get longer!! winter is my favorite time.
 
Yeah for octopus! Good for you! :) I'm going to virtually run right over to the art thread and see what's there! Thank you for doing that! I hope that other talented BoneSmart members post their beautiful artwork, too.
So you're in the midst of your winter there and in another month you have the shortest day? Our spring has arrived and in June it'll be the first day of our summer, which is our longest day, I think. Probably almost the exact opposite of you. I'd better check out Google Earth so I have a better idea if you really are on the other side of the world.

The days are getting longer and longer, and staying up later seems like the thing to do. Our moods seem to lighten up with the longer days. My son even has a light box he uses in the winter to supplement the low light. I find that if I'm near it, I feel sort of antsy and anxious. I can't stand the light from it. It must stimulate the wrong part of my brain. But natural sunlight, I do love.
skigirl I can see why you'd love winter, with your skiing. You're outside alot and get plenty of bright sunshine on those ski slopes, especially with the sun reflecting off of the snow! I'll bet you have nice healthy color in your face, too. Please post your painted fabric in the art thread. I found your first piece very clever and would love to see more. If I were more comfy sitting for periods of time, I'd use my daughter's art desk which we put up for her in the basement/family room. She has lots of supplies there. I'm trying to get someone to run out and get me one of those large sketch books, so I can fool around with it a little. I really admire what octopus creates!
 
Aw thanks ByGosh. We are just at the beginning of winter (I think officially 1st of June), it's still reasonably warm here at the moment, but will probably change any day. I don't like spring and autumn very much one day it's warm, next day it's freezing. It makes dressing for the day a bit frustrating. Also nights are different temperatures, last night was so warm I didn't get much sleep in my winter pjs and blankets. I'm looking forward to getting my fireplace fixed and lighting it on cold days its been a while since I had a house with a fire.
 
Week twelve update
Pre-op I couldn't imagine being three months post op, and here I am! Although pain levels have remained the same (about 1-3) for the last three weeks, I feel I'm still making progress. I am seeing a physio once every two weeks and find the exercises he's gives me a good guide to how the muscles are getting stronger. I still have pain in my groin and buttock. I limp for maybe 5 to 10 seconds after standing up. This is getting me down a bit as its been the same for a few weeks now and I see no improvement. If anything it seems worse. On the plus side I spent five hours at a mall on Saturday, about four of those standing, and had no excruciating back pain and no limping! This is awesome! I just got quite tired. Spent a few hours relaxing in bed, before heading out to the movies. It's funny, I adapted reasonably well to sleeping on my good side and my back after surgery, guess I was just so exhausted nothing would stop me, but now I've reverted back to sleeping on my operated side which has been my preferred side for years. Just all of a sudden I could no longer fall asleep on my good side. I've been working full time since week 8 and it's not been too bad. I'm tired but try to stop doing chores around 7 at night so I can relax a bit before going to sleep. I can almost reach my foot to put on socks comfortably, still a stretch but better than two weeks ago. So all in all, a pretty good recovery so far.
 
Wow octopus You have really moved forward with 5 hours in the Mall and the visit to the movies on the same day as well as full time work.A great update Well done you.
 
3 month check up with surgeon
X-rays taken of implant today show no change to the ones taken the day after surgery. This is excellent news. Everything looks good. He reassured me it is normal to experience increased pain at some stages especially after having a good week or an increase in activity, but if I feel like I'm still getting worse in 2-3 months time, then to go back and see him.

Things to be careful of for life:
- water sports, for example surfing, could drown if dumped by a wave and dislocate hip
- no high impact activities, running (what's that?), parachuting etc.
- always get antibiotics for infections
- no bringing the knee right up to the chest or extreme rotation inwards or outwards

I did not really ask too many questions about the state of my hip before surgery, I was just in the get it fixed mode and worried about the surgery, but today I asked to be shown the damage on the pre surgery X-rays. Things I could see we're the dysplasia and the shallow cup, and was aware that there were some cysts there. But I didn't realise that some cartilage had been worn away and that I was bone on bone. It also appears that the head of the femur was showing signs of starting to collapse. So I'm really thankful for the timing of my surgery.

A good, positive end to the week. :)
 
So happy for you octopus!
I know exactly what you mean about not asking/ knowing much about your hip before surgery...perhaps we just didn't need to know it then!! My pre xray shows a hip just about dislocated....virtually no socket and the femur!! Frightening!
So it's great to hear how you are going at 3 months. I'm hoping to follow in your footsteps being 8 weeks today. Lengthening of muscles and repositioning of the femur were all necessary for me and I'm gad I only found out after not before how bad things were.
I also have been told no surfing!! Have this awful mental image of flailing around in the waves! Actually I was always more of a teabag. Just dunking up and down Lol.
Any advice on the 90 degree rule? Except not bringing the knee right up to the hip?
I take the point about antibiotics and will get a script made up for our OS trip in August.
Just checked our travel insurance...took out the policy last August and hadn't planned to get the hip done then. Realise in January I needed to do it and now find out any injury hip related will not not be covered until 24 months after any hospital stay related to the hip...even day surgery, so kets hope I don't do any damage or we might lose the house!!
Still life is for the living I say.
Congrats again for such a good report! :cheers:
 
Hi Octopus What a great visit to your OS and to know that all is well. Although we would rather not have those pesky aches and pains its reassuring to know that they ate normal I don't suppose there is anything on that list of banned activities that you will be bothered about if you are anything like me.Sounds like you had the op right on time .All positive Well done Diane
 
Sounds like a basically good report. Yay! I'm interested in the surfing restriction. I am guessing that baby waves like a beginner would do (like me, if I ever took a lesson) are probably ok, but the more advanced stuff might not be? My 7 month appointment (was supposed to be 6 month but we couldn't make that work) is in a couple weeks, so I am curious about my lifetime restrictions, other than bungee jumping ;) My last appointment was at 10 weeks out, so I was much more curious about what I could do right then, or within the next couple months. Now I am thinking more long term.
 
octopus what a great 3 month update! All that and working full time too, sounds like you are very strong indeed, even with the twinge and tiredness here and there. I'm not two weeks yet-- but reading you, I have great hopes for me :) So glad you posted!!
I'm guessing now that "restrictions" and "things to be careful of for life" are two entirely different categories. I had only thought of 'temporary' vs "permanent" restrictions. anybody else?
 
Thanks everyone!

Maeve , The head of my femur was sticking out of the edge of the socket too, I'm able to understand why I stood crooked, even as a child. In later years it been because of the pain too. I hope you have as good a report in four weeks time. I've never given surfing a go, but do love to body board. Although I find increasingly I'm not interested in going into the water, unless its the hot pools! We have natural thermal pools just north of where I am, so lovely to go and have a soak. I find the sea too cold most days, even in summer. I'll have to go next summer, just to scare everyone off the beach with my scar. :heehee: I'm sure your tea bag action will be fine. The surgeon didn't mention the 90 degree rule, but the physio has advised when bending past 90 degrees, to turn the leg outwards, this puts the hip into a more secure position. (Not like rolling a straight leg to the side, but say when sitting, sit with legs apart and knee and foot turned out, then bend down or raise foot.). An overseas trip how exciting, where are you going?

Kim22, No, I'm not worried about any of the "don't do's", I'm not planning on taking up skydiving, or marathon running anytime soon. :rotfl: I hope you are feeling better soon.

nerdgrrl , I think it's more the danger of drowning if you dislocate in the water, so little waves might be ok, I'm not sure. There's more risk of dislocating if you fall off from five feet above the seabed and then get pounded onto the sand below. My next appointment is at the one year mark, in 9 months time. My goodness that doesn't seem very far away.

zauberflöte, wishing you a good recovery too. It's not been plain sailing, but I would have to say its been quite good so far.
 
octopus thank you :) it's funny, the hip has been doing its good little girl imitation throughout the other mix-ups! that's a Very Good Thing :) Right now I'm in an up phase in which every day I wake up (for the final time, let it be noted-- I have never slept the night through in my life!) a little stronger than the day before. I love this and will relish it because I know it's not going to last forever.
nerdgrrl I had never thought about drowning if dislocated while surfing. I've done my share of (youthful, that is to say 50-and-under) body surfing in the tame tame US east coast waters. You can get totally pummeled by a 2 foot wave, and equally disoriented by the backwash from same. What if you wear a flotation device if surfing the "baby waves"? Then you'd have a chance to get your head above water, anyway.
Take care, everybody! :)
 
octopus Wonderful 3 months update! I want your OS to be my OS, too. :) And you are doing so well! It was interesting to read those activities to be careful of. I'm not planning on any of them, either. But I remember one bilateral a few months ago was talking about jogging...hmmm Maybe a jog is ok, but a marathon is a whole other ballgame. Yeah, I guess so. It was also good to hear that he said increased activity, more pain. Very considerate of him to invite you back in 2-3mos. if needed, too. He's a peach.
You are lucky to have had your surgery timed before things got worse. Maeve You sound like you had a lot of repair work done during surgery, too. I'll have to pop over to your thread and read what's going on with you. You're doing well? When are you traveling and where are you traveling to? I'm not planning any trips this summer, not yet. Still on the mend, here.
Keep up the great recovery octopus. I'll join Maeve and raise a glass to you, too! :cheers:
 
Hi ByGosh,
I'm progresssing....too slowly for my impatient personality...but in reality I have not had any real setbacks, only musclle soreness and some fatigue all due to my overdoing it.
I'm visiting a physio twice a week for therapy including dry needling and massage plus a review of how much strength/ flexibility and ROM has developed given the very intense exercises, stretches he has given me. He has now referredme to a podiatrist for orthotics that will correct my turning in knees and give some arch support. The knock knees are not helping the adductor/ glutes. No heel lift yet as he is still confident the muscles are on the mend and my pelvis is straightening.
So I'm hard at work at my recovery project. The August trip is London, Barcelona, Madrid, Yorkshire Dales, Venice, Rome and finally a cruise from Rome to Singapore via the Suez Canal/ Egypt/ India/ Jordan.
My motivation for getting walking with ease.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom