Guest viewing is limited

THR A Bionic Octopus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Kiwi Warrior, hope you're feeling better. There are nights I still get tired (fall asleep on the couch about 7:30). :zzz: You will get energy and fatigue in waves for quite a while. Try not to discouraged. It does get better.

Your journals are so wonderful! I try and be a little artsy to offset my linear sequential way of thinking...

:flwrysmile:
 
Wow....I LOVE your artwork!!! So beautiful and in my favorite colors too!

Take heart...it's much too early to think this is the best your recovery will be. But, it's a common thing to feel as the days tick slowly by. It's so hard to be patient, but patience with your body is exactly what you must have right now. It will heal at its own pace and you can't do anything to hurry it up. Actually, I think you're doing just fine for this early stage of recovery. So try not to let it get to you. Focus on the good things you're experiencing. In fact, some people actually write them down each week so they can easily see how far they have come since surgery.
 
ByGosh, dede62, Jamie, thanks for your encouragement. :)

I'm a bit better today, not physically, but a bit more positive. Thanks, it's good to know I've still a way to go. We are making up for drought conditions over summer, it started raining Thursday and it still going today (Saturday morning). I had a long day yesterday, woke with a sore back at 4.30, by the time I felt like I could sleep again, it was almost time to get up. Didn't end up going to sleep until nearly 11 last night. Then I forgot to turn off my alarm, which woke me at 6 am this morning. :yikes: But I don't plan to go anywhere today, so can come back to bed and have a wee sleep. :sleep:

Thanks for all your lovely words about my journals. Bygosh, I use a whole lot of different mediums. But mainly the backgrounds are usually started off with a layer of paint, or ink. Then I quite often use a stencil and spray ink or watered down paint through it which adds a pattern to the background. Then I add stamping using rubber stamps, bubble wrap, bottle lids, anything you like. Lots of layers add to the effect. You can also use the top layer of patterned serviettes, glue them on and the pale backgrounds become more or less see through. I have used serviettes on two of the atcs, girl with a dog and the herb pot. On the journal pages, yellow/orange page the red flowers are a serviette along with the wild flowers on the orange and pink page. Anything goes really, there are no rules! :dancy:
 
Hi Octopus, I am full of admiration for your art journals! They look so beautiful and creative, and would certainly work miracles to distract you from this slow recovery period. I got enthusiastic a while ago and bought a journal and some paints but didn't get any further - life sort of got in the way, but you have given me inspiration.

I'm 3 weeks post surgery and feeling exhausted much of the time, was beginning to think I'm some kind of wimp but from what I've read on the forums this is perfectly normal, patience is not my strong point so maybe I have a lesson or two to learn here. :yes:

Where in NZ are you - I have in-law family in Auckland, Wairarapa and Wellington - beautiful country! Glad to hear you are getting rain - weird to think of NZ in drought!
cheers from Western Australia
 
Hi daykat, thanks! Don't worry if you don't feel up to much at the moment, there's lots of healing going on at 3 weeks. I was still sleeping a couple of hours a day and not really dong anything creative, apart from cutting out a few pictures. I didn't have a very long attention span at that stage either. Rest up as much as you need to and don't feel guilty about it. You body is needing all it's energy for healing. I live in Auckland, out west. I've been once to WA, to Perth and surrounding areas. I have two friends and a relative living there now, so I hope to return sometime. I'd love to come in wildflower season. I think last time, I was there just as it was starting. I have been to Capel, (my grandparents lived there some time ago), I think that's somewhere near Donnybrook?
 
Octopus, yes Capel is about 35 km from Donnybrook, lovely little town. We have had good rains recently too, after a very long hot and dry summer, and it's so nice to see everything so green. Wildflower season in WA is extraordinary, definitely recommended. September - October is I think the best time to visit.

Thanks for your encouraging words, I have to learn to go with the flow and be patient with how my body wants to heal. Feeling ok today and enjoying sitting in front of the fire, knitting and watching the football on tv. That's Aussie rules football, not soccer or rugby!
 
Wow, I love your journals too. I have always wanted to do that---I have seven or eight sketch books in the studio, but I have never had a really nice journal like that. I am also an artist---getting ready to do some art fairs this summer. I paint on fabric and then quilt it.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] A Bionic Octopus!
    securedownload.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 121
Wow! Looks great skigirl. At this stage I have just enough time for doing it for pleasure, but would love to someday sell some stuff. I would love to do quilting one day, but it's something I think I shouldn't start at the moment, another hobby on the go! When you have a chance to sneak into your studio, have a go at the journals. Would love to see what you do. Do you you know if there's an art thread in the social room? Perhaps I should start one?

daykat, "go with the flow" was my motto early on, but have forgotten it in the return to normal life. I need to remind myself of that every day.
 
Hi there Kiwi octopus, just catching up after our little event with our car that I wrote about on my own thread...

Are you back at work now?
 
Yes Poppet, I've done one part time week and just finished two full time weeks. Pain levels are quite low but not improving over the last two weeks. Although I think strength is, as I can see improvement in one of my exercises. I hope you have recovered from your meeting with the kangaroo.
 
Hi Kiwi, I found that I would go ahead in leaps and bounds in the early weeks, then plateau, particularly when I returned to work full time.

It is a lot to cope with, a job and recovery.. Be gentle with yourself on weekends and rest as much as you can :)
 
octopus Thank you for the description of how you make your artwork. It sounds very involved and I can see why the results are so beautiful and really unique. You put alot of time and effort into them. What is a serviette? Is it a lacy doilie type piece of paper that's put under baked goods to pretty up the plate? I'll have to google it, sorry, I'm not familiar with them. I think you could easily sell what you make. The technique would make a really interesting greeting card.
Yes, please start an art thread in the Social Room! That would be great. I think there's something there for posting knitting. Allycat is an Aussie who knits lovely little baby outfits, and she may post there. Do you Allycat? What is it called?
skigirl Your fabric picture was very creative and unique, too. It seems we have talented members here on BoneSmart. It would be wonderful to have a gallery to showcase what you all can do! We could name it Art Gallery..:)
daykat Yes, three weeks post-op and being tired is perfectly normal. As octopus said you're body is busy healing now and needs you to rest to help it along. Try to give yourself what you need and rest, rest, rest as much as you can.
 
ByGosh, sorry I think the word for you is paper napkin, do you have ones with different patterns & pictures? These are really great to use.
 
Mamarey, I read someone's explanation the the day that was very good but do you thnk I can find it now? Clams are when you lay on one side with legs together and knees bent, then keeping feet together, raise the knee. Initially this can be quite difficult, I was about 5 weeks when my physio gave them to me to do. It helps strengthen the gluteus medius muscle in the hip area.

Poppet, I had quite a restful day yesterday, just doing some art, and had a good sleep last night. I'm repeating today. :heehee:
 
Fantastic octopus, it is freezing here, says the temp is minus 4.1C.. Not getting out from under the bed covers yet..

So pleased to hear you are resting, the energy drain is very real. Mine lasted for several months.

Clam shell exercises are one of my most favorite exercises, along with adductors and tippy toes.. for my hamstrings I put my fists on my bed and stick my bottom out and for my back I sit on the side of the bed or a chair and lean over to my feet, curling my back slowly, vertebrae by vertebrae then uncurling as I come up..
 
Poppet, eek -4! Whereabouts are you? Are you near the mountains? I think we reached 18 here yesterday, crazy Auckland weather!
 
Yes near the mountains, we can see snow on the far distant ones octopus... Our max is going to be 15C but it takes a long time for the temp to get there and it only lasts for 30 mins and then is back on the way down again.. I don't like the cold! Cant't wait until we retire to the coast!
 
octopus Yes, I do believe I've seen the word serviette on some paper napkin packages here. They're sort of thin, don't they rip when you're working with them? Also, you're explaination of the clam is very good! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom