Guest viewing is limited

THR A Bionic Octopus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm hard at work at my recovery project. The August trip is London, Barcelona, Madrid, Yorkshire Dales, Venice, Rome and finally a cruise from Rome to Singapore via the Suez Canal/ Egypt/ India/ Jordan.
My motivation for getting walking with ease.

Oh my! How amazing. You should be doing very well by August and have a fantastic time.
 
OMG Maeve What a fantastic trip you have planned! I don't blame you for wanting to get your walking all set by then. You going everywhere, almost. How long will that you? It's incredible. You must be tremendously excited - I'm excited for you. Gee, that'll be a trip in a lifetime. Are you a big traveler? Have you gone on amazing journies before? I've barely been out of the US - except to Canada. I hope you have a wonderful time, and post some pictures for the rest of us here, especially those still recovering.
You sound like you're working very hard with your physio. What is dry needling? I'm glad that you're doing so well and you're coming along. Fatigue is unavoidable, as is muscle soreness. It's the other stuff we worry about, that's not so typical, like new pain, or continued pain. I'm impressed with how well you're doing and happy that you have your trip for motivation and as something to look forward to! Good luck and keep me posted. Take care, dear.:)
Oh yes, orthotics can work wonders for you. Good idea.
 
Hi Diane, glad to hear things are going well and that your surgeon is empathetic. Thanks for popping in on me...I am percolating along nicely. The knee is better after the durolane and I am hopeful I can get some traveling done before having a PKR next year sometime. I hope you are managing back at work and are still doing your beautiful artwork. You are inspirational!
 
Thanks Vida. I have been at the same pain level for a few weeks now, it's a bit frustrating but I understand its common at this stage. Just saw the physio today and we have reviewed all my exercises, getting rid of a few that may be aggravating things at the moment, this includes one that I really dreaded because after about four or five its painful. Yay! Instead he has recommended commencing my pilates core strengthening exercises as these will help support hips and back. I just posted a couple of journal pics in the social room art gallery. I'm glad to hear you are doing better and the knee may hold out a bit longer for you. Where are you planning to travel to next?
 
Hi octopus, it is quite common to plateau with our recovery, but hang tight, you will have another spurt of active recovery soon :)

Going back to work takes it out of us that is for sure.. Slow and steady, my kiwi friend :)
 
Dear octopus Where is your pain? I'm glad that you spoke to the physio and the exercises that may have been bothering you are now gone. I hope that helps and you show some improvement soon. Core strengthening is a great idea, nothing like strong abdominals for good back support.
 
ByGosh I've been having groin pain when exercising, and buttock pain when walking after sitting. It does disappear after a bit, but seemed to be getting worse. I think it's stabilised now. Towards the end of the days I get a bit sick of it, as I'm up and down all day with my job.
 
octopus I hope you are right and it
s stabilised now. Or even, may we breathe it, on the wane?? Work is all ups and downs and sitting and going-- that will challenge every minute of rest you can get, eh? :)
 
Oh dear octopus I'm sorry that you have groin pain, or any pain, really. I'm glad you're not doing any PT that can cause it to get worse. It's best to just go easy on yourself and let it go away. Remember to ice as much as you can- even at work. I used to bring 4 -5 gel ice packs in a lunch kit with a hard frozen cold pak in it to keep them cold, and use them at work - on my groins, and my butt - I sat on them pre-op! It really helped.

My OS feels I have soft tissue inflammation, and that's what's causing my groin pain now. He said it would get better. I hope so, I have it on both sides. I avoid flexion of the hip, and bending as much as possible, because it aggravates the groin. And I'm careful with walking and any weight bearing. Also, if I sit leaning a little back with the hips less flexed it helps me. I still use a cane alot to take the stress off the groins. Also, Arnica cream that Poppet told us about - it has natural anti-inflammatory abilities to it.

And too bad about the buttock pain - mine hurts often, too. It's probably the muscles getting a little stiff and sore from sitting. I wonder if a pillow would help that? Getting up and down all day is stressful for the hips, and you probably use the gluteus muscles when you go to stand up. I bought one of those Forever Comfy gel foam cushions at Bed Bath and Beyond. They're $20 and I know they're on line "as advertised on TV". They're pretty comfortable, but sort of heavy to lug back and forth. I wonder if that would help if you sat on something like it at work? Just a thought.

Well, I hope it's getting better for you. There's several of us here with pain issues, still, unfortunately. Feel better, octopus! Keep us posted on how you're doing. Everyone's here for you.:friends:
 
octopus, I still have sporadic groin pain at almost 19 months, and some swelling at the same time.. I suspect it is soft tissue problem for me.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this.. Hang in there kiwi friend :)
 
Thanks zauberflöte, ByGosh & Poppet, I always find the end of the week worse and get that "I am so over this" feeling. Yay! It's Friday!

Thanks for the tips ByGosh, I'll apply some of those.
 
Wahoo! Yes it is Friday... Rest up as much as you can.

We have a public holiday this weekend, so 3 luxurious days.. Do you get many long weekends?
 
Poppet, yes we have a lot in the first few months of the year, and then queens birthday which was last weekend, now nothing until labour day in October. :sad:
 
Ours is this weekend.. Then a long stretch until October.. Sigh!
 
I'm fourteen weeks today, no changes for the better yet. In fact I hurt myself at the weekend moving furniture around on the deck. Feels like I've done a tiny bit of damage to a muscle in my buttock, it gives me a sharp pain (makes me gasp) at the top near the hip and further down near sit bones. Mostly when getting up from a chair, but also when doing some of my exercises, so I've stopped doing the exercises that hurt. I feel a bit disappointed to be losing ground in recovery. When I first start walking is more painful and I limp quite badly when I first start off. I am house sitting not far from my work so I am able to walk there and back, it's uphill on the way home, but it felt like a really good work out for all my leg and buttock muscles and I didn't end up an worse for wear! :) I hope to do this for the three weeks I'm here on days when it isn't raining too badly.
 
octopus good 14 week update (mostly)! "Pain at top near hip" resembles where my S-I joint pain comes. It would exacerbate when changing position, especially involving bending etc, as in getting out of a chair. But you know-- it might just go away of its own accord! Are you all strong in your core, to move furniture around?
This uphill walk sounds ideal for the shapely posterior! I have a very short uphill from the street to house level, about 15 feet at maybe 35-40 degrees. Baby steps!! but my dear, what's wrong with walking three blocks in the rain? or is it nasty cold windy rain....?
 
Probably not too strong in the core, but it wasn't very heavy, I must have just moved the wrong way. I don't mind walking in the rain, especially on the way home, but we do get a lot of nasty cold & windy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom