TKR 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been on in awhile to post, only read. My surgeon last took xrays and said knee tracking fine a couple mos ago. I notice some days I can walk across the flooor and feel loud movement in whole knee not just patella plastic clicking. If I sit on bed and bend that knee and hold it and sway it from side to side it is moving....no pain just movement inside......
Does anyone else have this?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not from the knee side but I will tag a couple of my colleagues who might be able to address your query @referee54 @Jamie
 
I know that, in the early days of my BTKR recovery, my students could hear the knees in stereo as I walked around the classroom.

I am not sure that there is anything wrong with your knee---just to be on the safe side, and to give you peace of mind, why don't you call your OS and talk with them? I don't believe that you have damaged it in anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that there is often motion in the knees until your muscles recover and support the joint more fully. I did have some motion in my left knee joint and finally ended up getting a slightly bigger spacer. I would also recommend you make an appt with the OS and get a second opinion as you are worried. Are you still in PT? If not, perhaps an assessment with a PT would help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the best way to get an answer is to have your surgeon check it out. It is most likely a factor of your soft tissues still on the mend, though. Especially if you've had knee problems for a long time, it can take a year or more for good muscle tone to return.
 
So out there has the above , I have a Dr O.V. next wk but seems last few wks getting a thump crunchy thing that makes me nervous and won't stop. It feels like the bottom of the joint.
I know my muscles are still being strengthened but I see a lot of people who have had a TKR
in my work and NONE ever are bothered by this! Anyone weigh in on excuses and such the Dr will make?
 
I have a velcro ripping sound in my knee, it is scar tissue, and is getting less and less.
Does it hurt?
 
I can create a moving clunk when I try to kick my duvet into place in the night! Clunks on demand!
 
There isn't pain per'se associated there but outside back edge from knee to mid calve like tendons rubbing overmuscles? weird not surehow to explain...
 
My knees sometimes make a noise. At first I was concerned now I don't care as long as they don't hurt. But if you are concerned please have it looked at. Take care and remember to go slow. This isn't a race. Tashia
 
This might be Saturday or Sunday before I get back to you.

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?


[Bonesmart.org] 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?


I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
@lovemynewknee? You may notice that I have merged your three recovery threads into one. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.
 
Both knees clunk in the morning getting out of bed and walking...it subsides a little and goes away if I walk on my tippy toes which I find strange..no pain associated with it...hopefully last visit to the OS tomorrow who said clunking was associated to things healing and tightening internally ...he has been great so far but will check with him again on clunking.....

Vinny
 
Had xray, saw OS today. Said yes I have a lot of play but that is cause I need to exercise even more!
I daresay at 9 mos I exercise these legs still with P.T. sets and know lots who never did as much and certainly stopped by now! Not so sure I buy it....got the lecture 5 lbs weight loss = 20 lbs losd off knee
 
@lovemynewknee? ,
It would help us if you would go back and answer the questions Josephine left you in post #92.
If you are not comfortable with what your OS said, it is probably time for a second opinion, from someone not associated with your present OS, and who specializes in revisions.
Good luck,
 
I answered those questions once before..takes time. In short I just question all this exercising because I read so many on here and run across people much older that don't work this hard....they have none of the clacking and said were normal including kneeling which I was warned to not do. She said give it a year, work on stregthening and lose weight. All seems valid until I compare myself with pthers. She does remind me that younger people have it harder because their pain receptors are more intact and we are way more active! Makes sense right?
 
Looks like you had a difficult year with surgeries...I am told if the pain is persistent to have it checked out...my clunking is not painful at all and is intermittent ....
 
at 9 months you should be safe to exercise--just be careful to listen to the knee. It's still the queen. :)
You might focus on things like quad sets and the other quad exercises you got early in your recovery to strengthen the muscles supporting the knee. I know my rheumy has told me that keeping those muscles strong is good for the new knee.

I'm generally anti-squat :wink: or at least cautious about then; but maybe some careful wall slide/squats would be ok if they're not painful. I'd say go slow and steady and be alert to pain signals from the Queen Knee. :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom