TKR 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::flabber: hMmm so input please from all the other 3 mo. RTKR peers?

1- I am weaning back into commuting and really part time at work. Anyone able to drive and switch from gas to brake consistently without zingers of pain striking? I still feel better driving with
two feet which is now second nature ...

2- Still enjoying P.T. gym but what equipment /exercises are good for long term that won't wear out parts of the new joint. Not sure my PT group is expert there. Wondering if purchasing a recumbent bike is wise as it feels so good on the knee now but don't wish to wear it out!

3- Is everyone that is still employed (59 yrs old myself) , back working full time at this point?

4- On certain days I have what feels like a stray tendon tight and overlapping the outside of the kneecap. Hurts and feels out of place especially when picking it up to bend.
And no I am not a big baby....... but we all have to whine sometimes right?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am 4 months out, driving hasnt been a issues since week 4 or 5. Stationary bike or recumbent bike would be the perfect apparatus for you. But dont worry about wearing your implant out. Just avoid hi impact activities. As for work I went back full time as a butcher for a Costco but I intially should of went back part time. Every body part other than my knee hurt for a week. Ill be 50 next year. However my recovery has went exceptionally well ,with minimal pain at first but with great ROM now. my job is physically demanding , perhap I need to consider working the front door as a greeter. Easy money !! Are you back to work ? Consider part time intially, full time can be abit much at first but depends on what you do for work . Best of luck. Iceman
 
I am 4 months out, driving hasnt been a issues since week 4 or 5. Stationary bike or recumbent bike would be the perfect apparatus for you. But dont worry about wearing your implant out. Just avoid hi impact activities. As for work I went back full time as a butcher for a Costco but I intially should of went back part time. Every body part other than my knee hurt for a week. Ill be 50 next year. However my recovery has went exceptionally well ,with minimal pain at first but with great ROM now. my job is physically demanding , perhap I need to consider working the front door as a greeter. Easy money !! Are you back to work ? Consider part time intially, full time can be abit much at first but depends on what you do for work . Best of luck. Iceman

Thanks , I assume you went back at 4 mos? Still wow! Especially with your demandingly physical job.
Yea I have no idea why the driving issues but I do have to be in bumper to bumper for and hr. Lots of back and forth. Isn't it interesting the range of recovery we see here. Some still on pain meds many months out and not working at a yr. quite a bit more involved than people expressed to me from their experiences.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?
@lovemynewknee?, You may notice that I have merged your three threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
thanks, I would post more but I am always lost on this ipad as to how to find my posts! And thanks for merging my comments, what a pain I am, like any of you on here need me to add to your pain, lol.

Ok I am at 14 wks Thurs. I am ready to scream with this pain I am still griping about when I drive moving back and forth from the pedals. I have asked every person with right replacements at therapy and nobody has this! I told the Dr last time and she really just said some people have pain.....duh! She X-rayed and checked to keep me happy a then mentioned she had some compensation work to fix the way I had been walking prior with my toe pointed to the side. I walk with a totally even gait now but this darn pain. Am I a wimp? I am ramping up to 20 hrs this week but avoiding the super bad commute times opting for 35-40 min instead of over an hr on the brakes and gas bumper to bumper. Experience please? Should I just tote some pain pills and go for it so I can pay my bills and make the boss happy?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
it worked, thanks, find old post, click on avatar .....so simple duh!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
oh and
i got a recumbent bike for the house on Amazon for under $200 for when therapy kicks me out. Excited as it always helps the swelling more than elevation.........for meeee!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Can someone help change my thread name? I can't get it done on the ipad...not as mamy ways to get things done.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a recumbent or semi-recumbent exercise bike and I like it. I hope you like yours.
 
My posts are all over the place, using an iPad I can never find my original thread.....errg



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
New question Hair falling out in blobs! m I have been thinning since operation on April 3, 2014 BUT This past week I am literally getting finger fulls of hair! I am aware from other surgeries that your body does this due to saving it's energy for healing and the stress, meds etc., and Dermatologist says it is linked with some stress from 3 mos ago. But I am almost at the 4 month mark, anyone else have this ladies?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My orig thread was 7 wk....so I think people don't respond due to time restriction.
Topic today ...I am at 4 mos. op and my hair has been gradually falling out more than normal but suddenly tons more ....I have half the ponytail as before surgery. Now past surgeries I have consulted a dermatologist And told body conserves energy for less useful things like hair growth in favor of healing. But more suddenly the 4 th mo? Anyone else? Happen to you? A nurse told me to take prenatal vitamins. I already take Biotin as per the Derm. Dr.
 
Sorry no one responded to your post on Tuesday. It can happen sometimes when the forum is very busy. But we do need to keep your posts in a single recovery thread, so I've merged your last post into your original thread. In the future, if you post a question and don't get a response, just tag one of the staff members and we'll know to take a look at your thread immediately.

Thinning hair can occur after any surgery and you may notice it for up to a year afterwards. Your body was placed under tremendous stress with the operation and this happens. Things should stabilize for you, though, and your hair should come back. Just know it can take some time.

One thing that may help is to not put your hair in a ponytail. The tightness puts some stress on the hair folicles and may make your problems worse.
 
Hi and great to read your posts. I did not start driving till 8 weeks my surgery was on my right knee and although I thought I might be ok driving did not feel totally confident that I could do it safely. Started at 8 weeks due to cost of other transportation and then needed to stop pain medication in exchange for Tylenol which was not really strong enough. I also had the massaging on my scar started by pt her method felt sharp like she had glass on her finger and it was digging in.

The surgeon who did my replacement stopped in to pt one day and gently moved his finger down the scar and it did not hurt hardly even felt it. His way actually felt good. Pt was very aggressive and went that way till my third week and then I found bonesmart. I was told to take it easy and not allow the pt to hurt my new knee then things started to turn around. So much wonderful advice caring people and following heir advice I started to see the level of pain decrease still sore but more manageable.

Massages were the way that I started to feel better and also very positive for cutting down on the stress of all of the pushing. You mentioned you are loosing some of your hair. I found my hair did not seem the same as well and noticing it is thicker again so I lost hair to. You are not over reacting it is a very painful process maybe not for some but for many many of us. Never thought I would see it stop but it does just takes some time. Starting to drive again was my way of getting back more to normal getting out of the house and not depending on someone else and the cost.

Responsible for getting my Mom around so just had to get at it. First day of driving again my schedule was full. Her medical schedule was full and I was her caregiver she was also recoving from knee surgery two months before mine. Lots of caring people here at bonesmart and the advantage of Josephines experience and the other advisors and fellow knee replacement survivors. Take your time you will be surprised looking back over your recovery time how much you have accomplished.

When you knee has healed you will have gained so much back that you lost before surgery and quallity of life will be gained. As they say listen to your knee swelling and pain it is telling you that you both need a break. Wishing you the best with your continuing sucess and lots of painfree days. Holly
 
This surgery is a major shock to the system and it is probably that and wearing a pony tail. If it continued you may want to ask your GP to do a blood test and make sure your thyroid levels are okay. I had mine removed 13 years ago and my levels for the past five years were good. Until I had my tkr. I had to have my synthroid medication increased and I have needed that increased level since. Good luck!
 
New question Hair falling out in blobs! m I have been thinning since operation on April 3, 2014 BUT This past week I am literally getting finger fulls of hair! I am aware from other surgeries that your body does this due to saving it's energy for healing and the stress, meds etc., and Dermatologist says it is linked with some stress from 3 mos ago. But I am almost at the 4 month mark, anyone else have this ladies?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
Hormones? Thyroid? Stress....all contributors to sudden hair loss. I agree with a prior post, perhaps have some blood work done, especially a FULL thyroid panel. Even if you are a low-ish normal, it can have a big effect on your system. Also, Aveda has a great hair system package called Invati, you may want to try. My sister swears by it, her experience was post chemo.
 
Curious since this is my Benchmark how Cyber friends feel at 4 months after TKR.....not partials please. I still have pain switching pedals driving, stiffness, swelling and trouble going down stairs.
Sleeping...what is that?
 
@lovemynewknee? 4 mths I can't help you with, hubby's first knee was his left May 28th. He was driving as 32 days post, but it isn't his driving leg. He gets a little stiffness, but had no trouble going down stairs (until he got his 2nd knee 2 1/2 weeks ago). He has a lot of practice on stairs because bathroom is on the top floor and tv is in the basement. Short flights though, it equals about 13 stairs. His 1st knee doesn't swell hardly at all, but he elevates both at the same time. He seldom has any pain in his 1st knee. That being said, he had an easy recovery with his first knee. This one has been a little rougher. Lack of sleep is something that plagues a lot of people recovering from TKR. He tried everything after his first knee and finally got a script for Ambien.
 
I have merged your two recovery threads into one thread. Forum rules indicate that there is to be only one thread in recovery---in fact, my I logged in tonight, there was a rather large sign on the first page of the forum reiterating the need for this policy.

We are able to follow your recovery better and read of your progress or issues when there is only one thread in the recovery section---it makes it much easier to read and to respond to. By keepin to only one thread, we can readily see what you are having issues or questions with---where you are in recovery, and your history throughout the only thread.

Thanks so much for understanding!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom