Guest viewing is limited

TKR 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your leg is swollen and in pain, these are all far too much and only contributing to it.
Recumbent bike 10 min - okay
shuttle with 4 bands two feet 30 reps - too much. You should never force your knee knee like that
3 bands with bad leg 30 reps - same as before - too much
exercycle 10 min - okay
resistance band behind knee pulling back and holding - you haven't told me how many reps but how ever may they are, this is too much. Never force your knee to bend
marching in parallel bars - again you haven't told me how much
sitting on rolling office chair and pulling with feet down and backwards up and down halls - not a good idea. Don't do it
icing with heel on towel straight legged - and doing what?

Boy, my dear - you are hard work! Getting this information from you is like pulling hen's teeth!
Hey anyone have trouble with driving with the right leg after knee replacement?
Yes and you should be very, very careful. In your present condition - lots of pain and swelling - you are in no fit state to drive safely. I recommend you leave it for another 2-3 weeks or at least until you get this pain and swelling under control.
 
well this program is what the Physical therapy dept gave me to do. They know how much swelling etc.
I see them tomorrow and will be feeding back. Thanks for your input. I wasn't trying to be evasive,
i am having trouble learning this site.
 
@lovemynewknee? I am not driving yet - have to be off meds before the OS will sign off. I had my left knee done so it won"t have any effect on my driving but the OS said no way if I am taking meds during the day. It becomes an insurance issue as well if I am involved in an accident. I am getting my right knee done in July but my husband is off in the summer so I will have a chauffeur :)
 
PT can sometimes be overly aggressive. Sometimes you just need to allow yourself to heal, and the rest will follow. If you have a lot of swelling, your knee is telling you to back off.
 
What model replacements do you all have? I have the Zimmer Next Gen.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh man I don't know how you lovely people all go on to have the other knee done knowing what to expect. But then I am still fresh at 7 weeks. Glad you have a nice husband. Do you have to take off work or are you allowed to leisurely recoup?




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
They're probably giving you exercises on a schedule, not necessarily what you're ready for.
 
@lovemynewknee? I think that's why many of us opt for bilateral--one surgery; one recovery. I think it would be hard to motivate myself to do it again.
 
maryo52, it is so true that the stories one hears about are the quick recoverers. I heard a really good friend of mine ask someone why it was taking more out of me than it did out of her. In other words, what was I doing wrong or am I just a wimp? It is a a common misconception that we should all recover at the same rate.

Also, while I have the utmost faith in my OS as a surgeon, I really feel that they are less interested in one once they feel that the surgery has been a success. It is my physio who really gives me day to day guidance, manages my expectations, builds my confidence and really knows my body and the way it works. And we have a laugh.

It is difficult not to compare ourselves with others, but essential to our sanity if we are to survive our recovery with our self confidence intact. Why did I need a transfusion and most others don't? Why does my right knee not flex and my left knee subluxate? Why does the scar just happen to run through a previous scar therefore leading to a build up of inner scar tissue which is causing thickening. This is just my reality and I have to deal with it. Other people's judgements are their concern. (Oh, this mantra is easier to write than actually live!!)
Good luck with your icing/elevating/meds regime. I altered mine after advice from Josephine and things have improved regarding post exercise pain etc.
 
I altered mine after advice from Josephine and things have improved regarding post exercise pain etc.
I'm very pleased to hear it!
It is my physio who really gives me day to day guidance, manages my expectations, builds my confidence and really knows my body and the way it works.
it's also your physio who's giving you too much to do and forcing your knee as well. This is the cause of many of your problems, especially the swelling and pain which is blocking your ROM.
Also, while I have the utmost faith in my OS as a surgeon, I really feel that they are less interested in one once they feel that the surgery has been a success.
Absolutely! They have a job to do, they do and then move on to the next one!
Why does the scar just happen to run through a previous scar therefore leading to a build up of inner scar tissue which is causing thickening.
That's not just chance, the surgeon chose to do it like that! And who told you there is a build up of scar tissue there?
 
I walked pre surgery with knee bent in pain. Dr wants me to get it straighter. I am 8 wks post op.
I have 10 degrees. My hamstrings are killing me just icing and keeping heel on a rolled washrag.
Any other tricks you experts in pain know to get more stretch?
 
I had pain in my hamstrings all the time prior to surgery...thankfully it is gone for the most part.

Stretch, but you know that! Stretch calf muscles also and walk very purposefully rolling heel to toe and extend your gate. I think old habits die hard!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
I merged your two recovery threads---the forum protocol indicates that there needs to be only one recovery thread per member---that way, we can keep better track o your issues, concerns and victories.

Any other tricks you experts in pain know to get more stretch?
I also had very tight hamstrings.

One activity that worked for me was that I would use a heating pad on the hamstrings to loosen them up and then, while the heating pad was on the affected hamstring, I would lie face-down on the bed with my leg hanging over the side.

I would put ankle weights on my ankle---and gradually increase the weight. The heat of loosening up the muscle and the light weights would gently stretch the hamstrings.
 
I am 8 wks post op. I have 10 degrees. Dr wants me to get it straighter.
I bet he does! But, and it's a BIG but, you can't do it all at once! How long did you walk with it bent pre-op? For every month you did that, I would estimate it could as long as 3 months to rectify it.
 
I think old habits die hard!
"Mechanics is muscle memory." You may have had a different and less than desired type of gait and walking mechanics, and now yo have to change them. Since you did not get that way overnight, you won't get that way quickly either---that new, healthy mechanic of walking, etc, will take some time and some focus---and most importantly, patience, to achieve.

Dr wants me to get it straighter.
I know that you will get that hamstring stretched out and achieve the extension that you need, but again, you have to be patient and understand that progress here is measured in tiny increments.

Small victories end up adding up to a big win for you when you are fully recovered.
 
I am being hounded by P.T., and Dr literally without warning at 7 wks jammed her finger hard on my scar and rubbed it along the whole thing. I felt I would faint, I wanted to sock her! She goes, "Is it sensitive or painful?" My reply YES TO BOTH! It was crazy...this was at 7 wks. I am approaching 9 wks and the hypersensitivity is abating a bit so I can work it once a night. It makes me so tense!
Then it feels a little more plyable and then when any swelling is present a wide area along whole scar and above and below is tough again. I have read the articles so no need to refer me to them again but what I would like is for how you all are actually rubbing your scars and how much pressure and often? Thanks........this is a " touchy subject" ha ha
 
I only gently rubbed mine using Trilogy Organic Rosehip oil. I started using it once the scar was completed healed over.
 
Hi @lovemynewknee. Very good question and I like your sense of humor. I went to outside PT 2 weeks post op. The first two weeks, the doctor had PT come to my house everyday for the first two weeks post op. It was the third week post op that the Physical therapist started massaging the scar area with a cream like cocoa butter. After the initial like Whooo... I was okay and would massage it myself with cocoa butter. It help break up the scarring underneath the incision inside. She did not use excess pressure, but it also was not like rubbing ointment on a baby's bottom either. Somewhere in between, but she was not rough. PT did it once and I would do it again at home so it would end up being 2-3 times a day or so. Sometimes you have to let PT be aware that this hurts. Once in the beginning thus same PT grabbed my foot and lifted my leg straight up in the air pushing my leg over my head. I think I caught a cramp at the same time. I let out such a scream, that she released my leg and stopped the PT session and I went on to the machines. After that each day I would tell her how I was feeling so she had an idea of how far she could push it with me. I also have RA so some days are good some are not so good. I wxplained that to her and afterwards we worked together. That is in one of the Mantras that PT should not go past the point of hurt.:loveshwr: Continue to do well in your healing process.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what to tell you. My PT massaged my scar from day one, directly and along either side fairly vigorously. I never had the pain or sensitivity that you have unfortunately experienced.
 
38 days post-op, my PT showed me how to do very gentle thumb massages (30x) on the area right at the top of both incisions, where my skin puckers/dimples when I extend the legs. When I bend my knees, the skin stretches out and the puckers flatten out. I felt that the puckers were interfering with my being able to bend my knees. I am now applying Renew lotion (which I had used for a long time without allergic reaction) and massaging 30x on each thumb-sized area all the way down both incisions. The incisions are sensitive, but the gentle motion is not painful for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom