Guest viewing is limited

TKR 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PT used something called the Grastin Technique, I was skeptical at first but my scar isn't tight at all anymore!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Could/would @EmptyHands and @Tamsmom describe your massage techniques? My main pain is above my knees and I think it is similar to the pucker/stretching you described emptyhands. I'm not getting PT and would like to have a better idea how to loosen that area up. I do rub the scar areas and knead the area above my knees, but I get a little worried I could hurt something.:holysheep:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rub the scar with pretty much any kind of lotion I had, be it baby oil/ gel, hand lotion, cocoa butter. I had a PT get kind of rough with that scar massage too on occasion. He'd get into a spot where I'd want to hit the roof, but I found that especially with me massaging it at night, it eventually got better.

I really wanted that scar to heal flat and not be all bubbly and rough looking.
 
Scar massage should be gentle, and not leave you in pain afterwords. I agree with everyone else. Gentle is the way to go.
 
It never hurt but it was uncomfortable at first. It is a tool and a technique...idk if it is that unusual but I do have a pretty good looking scar and it moves easily.

Just getting used to having someone touch it made me scared....heck still when I shave my legs I think I am gliding the razor over the top of my knee and then when I dry off there is a nice patch of long hair!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Check out YouTube, I think there is a video...I joked with the therapist that my husband could do it with a butter knife, she didn't laugh....


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hi @BigBend -
The thumb massage technique which my PT demonstrated is very simple. I apply lotion over the incisions first. I place each thumb over the top of the incisions (where my puckers are located) and massage in a GENTLE circular motion for 30x. I then move down the incision one thumb width at a time and repeat 30x in the next position. Because you control the pressure, you can avoid causing yourself unwanted pain. My incisions are sensitive, but not painful, so this is not a problem for me. Others with painful incisions may not want to do this self-massage. I can't say that the puckers have diminished, but the lotion seems to have made my skin softer and more pliable. Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, just picked up on this thread. t actually look forward to the massage my PT does. She can be pretty intense and I can't do it to the degree she does though. She also massages the quad muscle right above the knee. It seems to knit once in a while. I have problems with adhesions and I think it really helps. I'm noticing some improvement in flexion and extension some.

Based on some of these responses I will try doing it several times a day, and hopefully with a little more intensity. Unless I can get more PT approved by insurance I will be on my own soon.
 
This is interesting - Never, ever did my PT or my OS touch my scar. I rubbed lotion on the incisions and began massaging a little deeper after a couple of months because I could tell it loosened up some with that.
 
I just left PT. The massaging really helps. It's not just the incision but the entire knee area. She really goes to it and although initially I was unsure. I know it has helped my ROM.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much @EmptyHands . I am trying your massage technique in hopes I can loosen up some tightness, reduce the discomfort and increase my ROM. @Tamsmom , I did find some YouTube videos of the Graston massage......hmmmmmm, I like the butter knife idea, but think I'll stick with my thumbs for now!:thankyou:
 
I really wanted that scar to heal flat and not be all bubbly and rough looking.
I never bothered about mine at all. Neither did my sister and look at our scars after a few months out

My knee at 9 months
[Bonesmart.org] 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?


My sister's hip at 10 months
[Bonesmart.org] 9 mos.post op Wiggly, crunchy, clicky....help?



As for the 'bubbly and rough looking' bit, that's not in your control. It depends how the surgeon stitched it up.
If he did a neat job, so will your scar be!

Massage post THR
 
Good question, I am not sure how you find your posts in the app, I will see if I can find an answer for you.
@nudaii
 
Hi @lovemynewknee? I use an iPad.....the way I find my thread may be a little convoluted but is thus: Go to one of my comments on a thread...click on your picture (avatar)..... Click arrow that says posts..,then scroll down list until I find my thread...probably a much easier way but I've not found it yet! Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @lovemynewknee? I also use an IPad. Once you are signed in, go to the top of the page and in the little grey box you will see your name. Click on it and your avatar and information will come up along with a list of items. Click on "your content" and all your posts will come up. I hope this helps. Anne
 
I merged the two threads as per forum rules---that way, we can best keep track of your progress and issues.

I am sorry that I cannot help you with the IPad---I am a PC guy, I guess...:snork:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom