TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mary, glad you are feeling better today. It would be so nice for you to be able to go to your potluck dinner and meeting tonight. A change of pace and a few friendly faces is always a good thing. I hope you feel able to go if your knee says it's ok :wink:
 
As for pain meds, I rarely need anything. When I do, I will cut a hydrocodone in half.
Just a reminder that if you plan to break ANY pills in half, do check with your doctor first. Some are time release medications and breaking them like that can risk that too much of the active ingredients will enter your system too quickly and cause problems for you.

@tiredwife.....I like your information about the pain scale! I think that will be an excellent addition to our BoneSmart Library. Thank you for posting it!
 
@Jamie Hubby would get frustrated with the other frowny face pain scales. We found this one and it makes it easier to know what number to tell everyone.
 
Have you tried "The Better Pain Chart"? (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=the+better+pain+chart&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=the+better+pain+chart&sc=4-21&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=C19B8B80ED599F48331B29F73FEB392EB0A240F4&selectedIndex=0)

My pain management doctor loved it and when I was in the hospital for my LTKR in February, I brought copies for the physical therapists. I had mentioned it during joint class a few months earlier and they both wanted a copy. I told them it was the only chart I responded to.
 
Excellent pain chart I love it - I like this representation too


[Bonesmart.org] 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days


Shortie x
 
It always cracks me up when I am with someone at the doc or ER and they say without any strain in their voice that their pain is a ten. Really hard for me to keep from rolling my eyes.
 
.......so I would still recommend that you check with your surgeon or your GP to be sure this is advisable for you.
 
It always cracks me up when I am with someone at the doc or ER and they say without any strain in their voice that their pain is a ten. Really hard for me to keep from rolling my eyes.


I work in an A&E department and when I am assessing patients I ask for a pain score it it those who are talking or texting on their mobiles with a drink / burger / crisps in the other hand which tell me their pain is 10/10 - or 11/10 !!!!!

Shortie x
 
Good evening everyone! Just dropping in to say I went to the doc yesterday. I actually saw the NP, but I really like her. She was happy with my numbers and reassured me that this junk I am dealing with is pretty much city wide. Seems to be an allergy thing. She was also happy that I started the antibiotics, we both know what happens when I don't. So, tomorrow will be my first time back to the gym in over a week. Wish me luck!

In spite of my lack of gym exercise, I feel like my knee is getting a tad more flexible. One minute I think it's totally back to normal, then it stiffens up a bit to remind I am wrong. Today I had to dust mop, as there was enough dog hair in each room to make another dog. Then I ran my small vac over the area rugs and in the aviary. Did a couple of loads of laundry, went to nursing home to visit with Mom, then downtown for dinner with a friend, then on to band practice.

Needless to say, once I drug myself back in the door tonight, I piled stuff on the walker, started mom's laundry, loaded the ice pump, made my evening tea, and piled up in bed. My knee is tired, tired, tired! It's also giving me those little unexpected bends still. Kinda scary, so still have the cane when I am out.

Also, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong on this site. There are numerous folks I am following but seldom see any of their posts. Hints anyone?

Mary
 
Mary, are you getting email notifications of the threads/people you are following. You have to click on the little blue box in the email and actually go to the thread or it won't notify you again. I made that mistake in the beginning. I thought because I could read the entire comment in the email that I was done unless I wanted to reply on the forum. Nope, you gotta click the link and come on in here or you won't receive anymore notifications.
 
That's what we're here for, to help each other! Glad I was able to help. It sounds like you had a very full day today. Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite :)
 
My goodness I have had a red letter day! After not being at the gym for 8 days because of dealing with this cold/allergy/whatever, I arrived an hour early for PT and started my exercises. My regular therapist was off today, so I had a new one. She is a zero pain sort of gal. Anyway, I did exceptionally well in all aspects and the she measured me at 2/115 without pushing me at all! Also, I felt like most of the restrictive swelling was just about gone. This is something I have been waiting and praying for for three months!

Tonight was my little bunco groups night to play. Part of the group came to pick me up. It was obvious the gal n the front passengers seat wasn't thinking on letting me sit up front, so in my arrogance, I decided I could climb into the back. Wrong! I tried really hard and just could not bed that far. In fact, I pushed too hard. So, I had to awaken the common sense of the gal in the front seat and request that she trade seats with me. By that time, I was in pain. Ugh. So, tonight I am piled up in bed with ice pump on and know that I will be better.

I was telling my husband earlier that I think my rather sudden improvement was due to my lounging around the house for a few days while getting over the cold stuff. It just feels like my leg is rested and swelling is much less. Gosh, could it be that all this stuff I have been reading actually taught me something? Mary
 
@marmora Hey Cathie,

Went for those new half size larger Sketchers today......came home with two pair. <sigh> Somebody needs to make an attempt at saving this drowning economy, might as well be me!
 
My goodness I have had a red letter day! After not being at the gym for 8 days because of dealing with this cold/allergy/whatever, I arrived an hour early for PT and started my exercises. My regular therapist was off today, so I had a new one. She is a zero pain sort of gal. Anyway, I did exceptionally well in all aspects and the she measured me at 2/115 without pushing me at all! Also, I felt like most of the restrictive swelling was just about gone. This is something I have been waiting and praying for for three months!
. . . . . . .(Paragraph deleted)

I was telling my husband earlier that I think my rather sudden improvement was due to my lounging around the house for a few days while getting over the cold stuff. It just feels like my leg is rested and swelling is much less. Gosh, could it be that all this stuff I have been reading actually taught me something? Mary

Congratulations! :yes!::happydance::yay: You must be so pleased!

It just goes to show that rest, ice, elevation and only a little exercise really do work. Once the swelling is gone, the ROM, which was there all the time, can appear.
 
Hi Mary @wolf woman

A & E (Accident & Emergency )is what you call ER (Emergency Room).
It can also be called Causality.

Good to hear that your info de resting due to your flu virus's helped in some way with your knee and that you are able to get back to the gym.

The women in the front seat just wasn't thinking, those who have never had a TKR have no idea of what limitations we now have.

Glad to hear that you are getting on.

Janet @gr82cu2
Thanks for the information on how to get email notifications of threads.
Still looking for the little blue box that you are referring to, but I will find it.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom