TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Celle

Thank you for the information on effectiveness of MUA.
Slowly will get to 100 degree + Flexion! but it may take time.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@Josephine or anyone else that can assist! As I have posted, I am slowly in a full blown closet sterilization! I say that because I have never been this anal about getting rid of personal stuff. Anyway, I have a couple of pair of MBT shoes that look like rocking chairs for your feet. A lot of people swear by them. My gut feeling is that I need to rehome them, even though they are still in the boxes. Please send me your thoughts! Also, what about Birkenstocks? I have many pairs! My knees have been so bad in recent years, I have not been able to wear them. All shoe advice welcome!

Thanks!
Mary
 
Usually we advise folks to toss the shoes they wore prior to surgery. They have wear patterns in the soles that correspond with your previous improper gait and they can cause problems.

If you have a lot of shoes that you haven't worn in a while, you might try some of them to see how they do. Check the soles carefully and be sure there is no wear on the edges.

There really isn't any type of shoe that is forbidden, although I wouldn't think very high heels would be comfortable for lengthy periods of time. I'm personally not a fan of those rocker shoes as I think they really don't give you the workout that's promised in the advertising and in some cases they can make some people a bit unstable on their feet.....could be dangerous. But, it's all about what feels comfortable to you to wear.

If you like Birkenstocks, you might want to purchase one new pair so you can do a little comparison wearing both the new pair and an older one for a week to see how you do.
 
Usually we advise folks to toss the shoes they wore prior to surgery. They have wear patterns in the soles that correspond with your previous improper gait and they can cause problems.

I agree---the shoes that you wore the most pre-surgery will have a wear pattern that is not indicative of your new gait.

I would toss them out and get some new ones so that your gait will not become confused---"mechanics is muscle memory" so you want to start with a "clean slate", so to speak.
 
@Jamie
@referee54
@wolf woman

I am also using this time to declutter and had originally only thought about bagging up high heels - some of which I hadn't worn in years anyway.

Hadn't thought about runners/sneakers/trainers/gym shoes (not sure what the term is where you live) and my MBT saddles.

It does make logical sense that old shoes will have a particular wear pattern from our old way of walking and now after the TKR our walking pattern will be different.

Good advice, as always from BoneSmart !

Cathie
 
@Jamie
@referee54 @marmora
Wow, lots of good input! Thanks everyone! As soon as I returned home after surgery, I discovered that my favorite pair of house shoes had to go. The wear pattern was so profound, I would have fallen if I tried to walk down the hall in them. Thinks it best that the rocking shoes find a new home. I just wanted some assistance with that decision, they were so expensive!

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Mary
 
@marmora
Cathie, just an FYI, we call our sneakers just about anything. Back in my younger days, we called them Tenn-pumps. A bit of trivia for ya!

How are you feeling this week? Mary
 
@wolf woman

Hi Mary,
Love the idea that Tim @referee54 says that we must buy new shoes.
Tim is a BoneSmart Moderator - so his advice should be 'seriously considered'.
So, when anyone asks me why I have so many new pairs of shoes, I'll say 'Tim said so'!

Had a very good 1-1 PT session on Monday (Our Labour Day & in most of Europe is May 1st).
Flexion at 100 degrees and with a small push we got up to 105 degrees !

Still having trouble with extension, as leg had been bent for a number of years, so really have to work on getting it straight.

Using one cane when outside of the house and no cane within the house.
Saw my OS last Tuesday and he feels that my Flexion on that day was at 95 & feels it will improve over time and to see him again in 4 weeks. No driving until week 8 post-op.

How are you doing ? You're about a month ahead of me.
Are you driving ? Do you need a cane or a crutch to help with walking?

How is your sleeping at night, I still seem to wake up either for the toilet or with mild/moderate pain about
3:00 am most nights.

What are you taking for pain at the moment ?

Please let me know how you are getting on in the unpredictable recovery process.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora
Hello Cathie!

Sounds like you are getting along very well! Don't let the shoe thing get you out shopping and going overboard, that could be painful!

I am doing pretty well. I started driving about 5 weeks after surgery. It's impossible to get anywhere without driving around here. Today was physical therapy day. My extension was about 2 and my flex was 115 with help from my therapist. Of course the rest of the gym heard me as she was pushing! She didn't hurt me, it's just super tight. I think you know what I mean. The bad part is, the knee still buckles a little bit, so I walk with a cane. In fact, it has buckled twice today already. Scary! The cane will be with me until I am certain this will no longer happen. I do walk in the house without it. Also, I still have my mom's Rollator walker out. At the end of the day when I am super tired, I sometimes use it to pile stuff on so I can make fewer trips around the house to tidy up.

As for pain meds, I rarely need anything. When I do, I will cut a hydrocodone in half. Since I am allergic to NSAIDs, there isn't a lot of choice.

Sleeping is another story. Are you familiar with Ambien? I have some that is generic and will normally take a half tablet at night. Last week I tried not taking it and that just did not work out well at all. When I don't sleep everyone around me suffers!

Are you still using your ice machine? I use mine every night, it really seems to help.

Sounds like we are both well on our way to recovery AND new shoe wardrobes!

Mary
 
Birkenstock shoes are fine to wear, in fact thats all I have worn for 15 yrs because of plantar fascitis. I bought a new pair right after surgery because the old ones might have had worn spots that I couldn't see. As for the MBT Rockers, my cousin had bilateral two years ago and she wears her Rockers all the time.. I have a new pair but haven't tried them out yet, but I intend to do that very soon because those rockers are fantastic for anyone with back problems! Almost instant relief for me.. I've been babying myself, being a scaredy kat:shocked: about possibly falling, but I have to try wearing them again soon. Let us know how you do with yours..
 
Speaking of back problems, has anyone used that contraption that hangs you upside down? My cousin and I want to try it for our back problems, but we were afraid it might put too much pressure on our replaced knees. Anyone??
 
@wolf woman
Hi Mary,

We seem to be progressing along similar lines.
:ice: use my Crryo Cuff ice machine a few times during the day and after at home exercises, after my daily walks and my 1-1 PT and always have it on at bedtime for about 45 -60 minutes and tale 2 Tylex. Then take
it off when I'm turning off the lights.

If I wake during the night, go to toilet and then put the icy cold Cryo Cuff back on and find that I don't them need a pain pill during the night.

Take care and happy shoe shopping,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like you're being sensible with the cane and walker. As you get stronger you will find the knee stops buckling. At least that was the case for me with my first knee.
 
@scaredinCA Yes! I have an inversion board and absolutely love it! Now mind you, I have not used it since my TKR, and think it best not to until I get permission from my doc. So, if your doc says okay, I would recommend finding a store that carries them and trying one out before you buy it. Also, please don't try to hang totally upside down for a good while.....that takes practice! Let me know what your doc says! Mary
 
@kneeper Thanks so much for sharing your experience with your knee buckling! I was getting worried that it may do that forever. Feeling much better about it now! Mary
 
I would be practicing walking and doing fine, but then I'd just have this little "dip." It's like the quad muscle sort of "cuts out" on you. I think my muscles were pretty weak before knee #1. I remember being worried and the bonesmarties reassured me. Sure enough it started gradually improving. Just keep walking and take your time and concentrate and use your cane as long as you need it. If you don't see improvement happening over the next few weeks you can always ask your OS.
 
@marmora Cathie, How do you keep you cryo cuff that cold? My ice maker only makes enough ice to fill my pump one time every other day. On alternate days, I have to go out for ice, either at a neighbors' house or a convenience store. Also, I put mine on at night and just sleep with it. If I wake to go to the bathroom, I take it off then. Mary
 
would be practicing walking and doing fine, but then I'd just have this little "dip." It's like the quad muscle sort of "cuts out" on you. I think my muscles were pretty weak before knee #1.
You are correct---It takes time---the muscles atrophy somewhat quickly, and the muscles also lack stamina---and then there is the case of relearn a walk---the gait may be new. After my BTKR, both of my knees would have the "wobblies" from time to time.
 
@wolf woman
Hi Mary,

My Cryo cuff has a hose/ tube that you connect to the Cryo cuff ice bucket.
Fill the bucket with cold water to a level line on the inside of the ice bucket and them top up with about 1/4 bag of ice.

Gravity fills the Cryo Cuff with the icy water and then you disconnect the tube from the ice bucket to the cuff. and the cuff usually stays cold for about 45-60 minutes.

When the cuff cools down, I just attach the tubing from the cuff and the water drains back into the ice bucket.
Shake the bucket around and then holding the bucket higher than the cuff, refill the cuff with icy cold water.

Used this from day 3 in the hospital and learned to do it without turning on the lights.

There is a youtube from Cryo Cuff that shows this.

We have a small freezer compartment in our refrigerator, so husband has to go to the store every night to get a bag or two of ice.

But, during the height of the ice bucket challenge, bags of ice unavailable in most stores.

So, bought some small freezer blocks that are used for cooler bags and someone on the forum also suggested freezing small plastic water bottles to put into the ice bucket chamber & have also used that.

Hope my explanation makes sense to you.

Cathie :ice:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom