TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
@wolf woman

Hi Mary,

I did exactly that, bought my post-op Sketchers half a side larger and it's working out very well.

Cathie
 
@marmora
Hi Cathie!

I remember reading that you had bought a half size larger prior to surgery. I did buy a new pr of Sketches a few days before surgery as well. HOWEVER, I was not smart enough to buy them a tad larger. Ugh.

Mary
 
Oh waaaaaaa! I have been in bed all darn day. Sore throat, really really sore throat, sneezing, dizzy, get up and walk to the kitchen, I'm done. Anyway, as you guys can see, I have spent some time digging out the latest pic of myself pre-op. And, drumroll please, I learned how the smiley things work!

Now, please feel sorry for me as it's 11pm here and I have no ice. Yes, that's right' I am iceless. Oh the torture! On my way to kitchen now to find frozen stuff to cram in my ice bucket. Wish me luck! :ice:
 
@wolf woman

Hi Mary,

It's 7:45 am Sunday morning in Dublin and hopefully you did find a few icy things to add to your Ice bucket.

Know that feeling, as when the "ice bucket challenge" was in full swing here- shops sold out of ice everywhere.

As a back up, I bought some of the freezer blocks you use in ice coolers/ ice chest - don't stay as cold as real ice.
But, a good back up, when I couldn't buy ice.

Love being able to put a picture to a face.
My picture was taken the morning I was going into the hospital.

May you find :ice: :ice: :ice: today.

Cathie
 
@martyz4

Hi Mary,

Sorry to hear about your sore throat, sneezing, coughing.
Plenty of bed rest and chicken soup can be a good cure :chillpill:

Cathie
 
@marmora
Hi Cathie!

I did manage to come up with a few things and a little ice for my bucket last night. So glad I found those small plastic cups at the nursing home! They are super cheap, so I wonder how many times I will be able to use them. Plus I do have some super small freezer packs that do in a pinch.

My picture was taken just prior to "pajama night" with our bunco group, I think in January. I will need to find something better, but I don't have anything current. It's hard to believe you were calm enough to take a photo on the day or surgery! If I had done that, I would look like a deer in headlights! Mary
 
@wolf woman

Hi Mary,

Very glad to hear that you were able to gather enough cups and other things for your ice bucket.
After a TKR it is amazing how important "ice" becomes to all of us.

Instead of 'The Golden Girls' all female BoneSmarters should call themselves 'The Frozen Girls' .

The hospital that I went to requires that all TKRs & THRs are admitted the day before surgery at 2:30 p.m.
and the insurance covers this pre-surgery day. So, that's why I look so calm, it was about 12 noon the day before surgery. I had never been in a patient in this hospital before.

For all other surgeries that I've had in the last few years, even my Arthroscopy in another hospital, always admitted a few hours before surgery.

Hope that your sore throat is feeling better today and your have a chance to make some more little ice cups.

Take care,
Cathie

 
Oh my goodness I am having a rough time! This is day three of waking up with a wretched cold that only let's me walk to the bathroom and the kitchen. Then, it's back to bed because I am so weak. Consequently, my knee is so freaking stiff that I am frustrated. My calendar allowed me gym time today but there is no way. I also haven't been to see Mom at the nursing home since Friday. This is nuts. Now I am reading about the strange respiratory thing running rampant through the Midwest and it scares me. Having lost part of a lung and being asthmatic, I am monitoring myself pretty close.

Trying to recover from one thing and dealing with a second I pure hell. Somebody please lie to me and tell me it will all be perfect tomorrow!
 
@wolf woman That respiratory virus going around sounds extremely unpleasant. I've gotten the impression though that it is affecting children mainly. Do you have any Vitamin C and Zinc at home? Or can someone go get you some? I swear by it when I have a cold. It really helps a lot. Some herbal tea might make you feel better. Don't worry about visiting your mom. You sure don't want to carry that cold into the nursing home.

It will all be perfect tomorrow! :wink:
 
@gr82cu2 Hello Janet! Thank you! I do have some C here but no Zinc. Will take the C here in a few minutes.

I did a lot of reading on the virus and it does hit adults. I think children are getting it faster due to school just starting up. Trying not to be paranoid, but my poor lungs have been through hell. So far I am well under control.

Mary
 
Mary @wolf woman

Wondering if you should contact your doctor, concerned that with your history of asthma & losing part of your lung. That after the LTKR your resistance is low and with the virus also hitting adults you may need to be seen by your doctor.

Cathie
 
@marmora
Hi Cathie! While I feel like I am on the downhill side of this thing, I do have a routine appointment with my asthma doc this Wednesday. Plus, my doc allow me to keep meds here to stay out of trouble, allowing me to self medicate. Since I am not allowed emergency room medical coverage, this is a good thing!

Thanks for being concerned about me! Mary
 
Hi Mary @wolf woman

Very happy to hear that you will be seeing your Asthma doctor on Wednesday.

Your respiratory virus seems to have zapped your energy.
Hope that you start feeling better soon.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
13 weeks ago today I was in a hospital bed wondering if I really said all the horrible things I was thinking to the staff in the recovery room. The pain that morning was ugly, but I had no idea what the pain was going to be like when the nerve block wore off.

Now I am starting to wonder if I really need the ice machine at night, mainly because I don't want to deal with filling it and refilling ice cups. But, I am still putting it on every night before I go to bed and leave it on until I wake up and realize it's no longer cold enough. It really does help. And, I still use ice packs once in a while during the day. I didn't do that at first, sure wish someone had gotten that through my head early on!

For those who have been super warriors, you won't understand what a feat it was for me to go down five steps outside yesterday with a cane and no handrail. Most likely this is so scary to me due to 40 plus years of two really bad knees and only one has been replaced. I have fallen down that same set of steps several times in the past. Getting over this fear will surely take me a while and I am learning to be okay with that.

This is day 4 of getting over an ugly cold, so I have not been to the gym to work this new knee. So, it's a bit stiff, but thanks to all of you guys, I know this won't last. Hopefully I will be better enough to go tomorrow.

Yesterday, I was able to clean half of my aviary. And yes, I did wear a mask. This is a first for me! Being an all or nothing type A personality, I would never have stopped at the halfway point before. Maybe I will be up to the other half today, maybe I won't. Thanks again to all of you here who are teaching me that this knee is boss.

Tonight is my regular Eastern Star meeting and it will be preceded by a pot luck dinner. I will be stopping by the deli to pick something up if I decide I even feel like going. I really don't want to miss, but will do what my body tells me I need to do.

Take care all, and thanks for being here,

Mary
 
Hi Mary @wolf woman

It has Been an interesting 13 weeks for you, with lots of ups & downs.

I put the Cryo cuff on going to bed and finding about about 20 minutes it's now staring to get 'uncomfortable' , so I take it off, un-elevate my leg from the three pillows, turn off the light and turn over on my side and go to sleep for about 3/4 hours, until need to get up for the toilet.

I used to refill the Cryo Cuff as the water would still be icy cold in the ice bucket, but lately not doing that and just going back to sleep.

My knee seems to be weaning itself off icing all through the night and Thursday will be week 8 post op for me.


Hope that you feel well enough to go to your Eastern Star meeting tonight.
I find it good to get out and forget about totally concentrating on the knee when involved in something else.

Congratulations on the step challenge.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@wolf woman Here is the pain scale!
Comparative Pain Scale
0
No pain. Feeling perfectly normal.
Minor
Does not
interfere with
most activities.
Able to adapt to
pain
psychologically
and with
medication or
devices such as
cushions.
1
Very Mild

Very light barely noticeable pain, like a mosquito bite or a
poison ivy itch. Most of the time you never think about the
pain.
2
Discomforting

Minor pain, like lightly pinching the fold of skin between the
thumb and first finger with the other hand, using the
fingernails. Note that people react differently to this selftest.
3
Tolerable

Very noticeable pain, like an accidental cut, a blow to the
nose causing a bloody nose, or a doctor giving you an
injection. The pain is not so strong that you cannot get used
to it. Eventually, most of the time you don't notice the pain.
You have adapted to it.
Moderate
Interferes with
many activities.
Requires
lifestyle
changes but
patient remains
independent.
Unable to adapt
to pain.
4
Distressing

Strong, deep pain, like an average toothache, the initial pain
from a bee sting, or minor trauma to part of the body, such
as stubbing your toe real hard. So strong you notice the pain
all the time and cannot completely adapt. This pain level can
be simulated by pinching the fold of skin between the thumb
and first finger with the other hand, using the fingernails,
and squeezing real hard. Note how the simulated pain is
initially piercing but becomes dull after that.
3
Very
Distressing

Strong, deep, piercing pain, such as a sprained ankle when
you stand on it wrong or mild back pain. Not only do you
notice the pain all the time, you are now so preoccupied with
managing it that you normal lifestyle is curtailed. Temporary
personality disorders are frequent.
6
Intense

Strong, deep, piercing pain so strong it seems to partially
dominate your senses, causing you to think somewhat
unclearly. At this point you begin to have trouble holding a
job or maintaining normal social relationships. Comparable
to a bad non-migraine headache combined with several bee
stings, or a bad back pain.
Severe
Unable to
engage in
normal
activities.
Patient is
disabled and
unable to
function
independently.
7
Very
Intense

Same as 6 except the pain completely dominates your
senses, causing you to think unclearly about half the time.
At this point you are effectively disabled and frequently
cannot live alone. Comparable to an average migraine
headache.
8
Utterly
Horrible

Pain so intense you can no longer think clearly at all, and
have often undergone severe personality change if the pain
has been present for a long time. Suicide is frequently
contemplated and sometimes tried. Comparable to childbirth
or a real bad migraine headache.
9
Excruciating
Unbearable

Pain so intense you cannot tolerate it and demand pain
killers or surgery, no matter what the side effects or risk. If
this doesn't work, suicide is frequent since there is no more
joy in life whatsoever. Comparable to throat cancer.
10
Unimaginable
Unspeakable

Pain so intense you will go unconscious shortly. Most people
have never experienced this level of pain. Those who have
suffered a severe accident, such as a crushed hand, and lost
consciousness as a result of the pain and not blood loss,
have experienced level 10.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom