TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora See the little blue box in the lower left corner that says "View this thread"?
[Bonesmart.org] 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days
 
@marmora
@jul
And everyone else

Hello all! I wanted to address the weight issue. For seven year, I was a weight watchers leader. One it became more than I could deal with to be on my feet that long at a second job, I left. Consequently, I have regained all my weight. Before my knee replacement, I asked the OS if it was going to be a problem that I was at 210 lbs when I should be under 170. He wasn't at all concerned.

Now, since surgery, I am down to around 196 and hope to keep my weight there and continue to drop a bit more. Remember ladies, while it's not good to be overweight, it's even worse to be underweight. When I was a patient in a world respected hospital in Denver, the docs there all explained that if an illness gets you down, a little extra is better than being underweight.

Just as an FYI, it appears that BoneSmart decided I didn't need to follow most of you guys and I am not getting alerts to your posts. If you can help me with that, I would appreciate!

Mary
 
@wolf woman Try this.......You should have received an email notification of this reply from me. Go back to the email and look in the lower right corner. It says "unread watched threads". Click on that and it will take you to the list of threads you have been watching. Just to the left of the thread titles is a tiny blue dot. If you click on that little dot it will take you to the first replay you haven't read and then you can go from there. Hope that helps!

I agree about the weight to a point. A point I'm past, LOL!! I think it is especially important in the elderly to not let their weight get too low. My mom struggled with dementia and lost any appetite and practically starved herself to death. The more weight she lost the worse her dementia got because (my opinion) she was literally starving her brain. Now I'm seeing my mother in law do the same thing. It hurts me to hug her she is so thin. Just bones sticking out everywhere. And she keeps falling! She falls several times a week. She fractured her femur this spring. Luckily they were able to fix her up without too much hassle and pain for her. She says she just doesn't care about eating anymore. Mom was the same way. I can't imagine ever not caring about eating!!! I did lose 25# last fall and into winter on the DASH diet but then the weight loss came to a screeching halt. I think because I just couldn't be active enough to burn more calories. Oh well, it's always something!
 
Hello Mary @wolf woman

I was also a Weight Watcher leader 1983-1989 and after Atkins, Grapefruit, High Protein/Low carb, diets etc. Find that Weight Watchers is the most realistic and hope to have a slow and steady loss of about 1 pound per week.

Glad that you find your new Sketchers comfortable, shoes for me now MuSt be comfortable and if they are stylish- that's a bonus !

Question for you- I explained what A & E is.
What is bunco ? Is it a card game?

Take care and hope that you are moving with less pain,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora and everyone else!
Hello Cathie!

How funny is the mutal WW leader thing? Seems we have a lot more in common than we first thought. While the program works, any weight loss program will work if you work it. For me, I have found that paleo eating works best. It really helps me with inflamation, and consequently helps me with the wide spread pain that I deal with. A pain management doc suggested it to me some years ago. Now, if I could only get my self disclipline back....

Bunco is a very easy dice game. It's a lot of fun and is played with groups of four per table. You can have as many tables as you like. Our group is two tables, four people. It's a great excuse to have a girls night once a month. We take turns hosting, and whoever is the host has to feed the group dinner. Also a good excuse to eat! Hehehe If you want to learn more, as Mr Google, I am sure he will give you a better explanation that I can.

Yesterday I had an appointment with my OS's NP. I really like her and have a lot of faith in her capabilities. I have been dismissed and told turn return on my one year anniversary. She stressed that is I have any questions or issue I should call immediately.

@Josephine Do I remember you posting something about a buttom on the knee cap? My reason for asing is that I found out yesterday that I was given one during surgery. Wondering if that can contribute to my prolonged pain and stiffness.

Mary
 
Hello Mary @wolf woman


Have heard about the paleo diet and don't really know much about it, but sounds interesting and will read up on it. Yes, my self discipline is always my downfall.

Bunco- love activities that bring people together for a bit if fun, cards, scrabble, dominoes, choir, etc.
There are usually a good night out and usually at little cost!

Great news that you don't have to see your OS or the NP for 12 months ! Good to know that you can contact her, if any issues arrive in the next 12 months.

As we say here in Ireland when there is a coincidence between two people -Snap !
I also had a'button' placed under the kneecap during my TKR.

Again Mr. Google will explain it better than I can.
I had been diagnosed withChondrommalcia of the patella at my first arthroscopy in 1985, so always knew that the knee cap was fragile and wearing down.

One question ? Intrigued by your forum name "wolf women" and just wondering if it has a special meaning for you.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@marmora
Hi Cathie! My name has no secret hidden or spiritual meaning, it just happens to be my surname! Wolf.

As for Bunco, our little group plays for money. We each pay Ten US dollars in advance for the next month, just in case we cannot be there and a sub has to be called. Our subs don't pay to play. Just to make it interesting, our prizes are as follows: $40 first place, $15 second place, $10 third, $5 boobie (person with lowest score) and $10 bunco (person who was wearing the bunco necklace when the game finished). Last Friday, one gal won first place and bunco too, so she came away with $50! Not bad for a night of fun! Some groups play for prizes, but then you get more junk that you need, especially at our ages!

Not having to see the doc until next June feels really good, but it also is a tad scary. I have two more therapy sessions, then I am on my own. If I were ready to dance a jig, it would be great. However, I'm not, so I guess I will just have to pull up my big girl panties!

As for the paleo diet, there are a few different variations. it's basically eating like Paleolithic Humans ate. All fresh meats, no additives, no chemicals, grass fed not grain fed. Fresh fruits and veggies, no deli meats, no grains, no legumes. It takes me about three weeks to tell the difference and I drop weight at a faster rate but not lightning speed.

A question for you; Even though you are not directly effected, what do you think of the upcoming Scotland/England vote? Not having first hand knowledge, it seems to me it would be finacially detremental for Scotland. Just thought you might have an opinion being so much closer.

Mary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine Do I remember you posting something about a button on the knee cap? My reason for asking is that I found out yesterday that I was given one during surgery. Wondering if that can contribute to my prolonged pain and stiffness.
Unlikely. But tell me more about this problem.
 
@Josephine It's not a problem per se, it is something that was placed behind the knee cap during my TKR. I remember reading something about that here, but of course I cannot remember where or who posted it. Do you have a clue?

Mary
 
@gr82cu2 Hey Janet!

Thanks for your response! I have no clue. Prior to this surgery, I would not allow myself to do any reading or studying on the subject. I know that sounds strange, but I needed it done very badly and was afraid I would postpone yet again if I knew what I was in for. Yup, I was right! Anyway, you are probably correct about that, but I didn't know. Now, I will go read up!

Mary
 
Hi Janet @gr82cu2
Hi Mary @wolf woman

Patella buttons are very common with TKRs in the States, but less common in Ireland.
Don't know about the UK or Australia.

Cathie
 
Hi Mary @wolf woman

Thank you for filling me in on "wolf woman" - very clever, as it had be guessing as to the 'hidden meaning'.
I'm Marmora, because at one time when I was growing up we lived on Marmora Avenue.

I play bridge on Wednesday nights & going back to play since early June tomorrow night and also taking a ten week advanced play course starting this Thursday night.

Everyone playing pays €4.00 -about $5.50 US and depending on the number of players - could be up to 80 -100 people and we are divided into different sections, we award 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each section. Prizes €12.00, €10.00 and €8.00.
Some of the money goes to the tournament director and assistant and a fee goes to The Irish Bridge Association.
Fun night and I really enjoying Bridge.

Scotland -Yes or No.
Mixed opinion, on the one hand because Ireland fought a War for Independence from England would understand a Yes vote for Scottish independence.

On the other hand, a Yes vote brings Scotland into unknown territory and the future implications for England, Wales and Northern Ireland are unknown.

A No vote will also provide Scotland with increased powers & opportunities.

Either way, feel that the vote will be very close.

Cathie
 
@Josephine
Sorry, silly of me to think you didn't understand what I was saying! Even with the cultural differences, I think you have been doing this for a year or two! <grin> Not to mention that I totally misunderstood what you said to me.

The stiffness is getting better, but it's so darn slow! It doesn't take long sitting or just not moving for one reason or the other for me to get really stiff. Just above the knee, and I do mean just above it, I am pretty stiff and somewhat sore. My main pain is all the way around the knee on the outer edge of knee cap. My upper thigh is kinda sore all the way around my leg as well. Could any of this be because I let this knee get so darn bad? My knee cap was on sideways prior to surgery and I had times that there was no way to put any pressure on the foot at all. I had to hop around on a walker.

All words of wisdom welcome!

Thanks for being there! Mary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gr82cu2
Janet,

It just occured to me that I failed to thank you for your post about following likes and missing posts to other people's threads. Anyway, Thanks! I also believe that I am more scatterbrained and forgetful than I was prior to this surgery. No joke, I am forgetting things all the time. Let's hope this improves!

Mary
 
@Josephine
I was just thinking, since you are the Mother Hen and my Mother is dying, if I found a way to underwrite your travels could I talk you in to coming to the US and mother me through knee number two? I could wait until next May and arrange someone to escort you to the Kentucky Derby! I was just sitting here thinking how much better this entire process would have been had I had you to guide me along. Well, guide me and smack me around a bit I suppose!
Of course I joke about you coming but if you were at all serious, I might be able to convince the docs here to let you scrub in on a few! And I want you to know how much you are appreciated. We have our own private nurse/psychiatrist right here, it's wonderful!
 
Good Morning Mary,
@wolf woman

This must be a very emotional time with the concern & love for your mother also filling your heart and thoughts.

Thinking of you,
Cathie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom