TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we just froze water bottles and it worked great. No ice cubes needed. We also put a gallon of water in a pitcher in the fridge in the mornings so it could get good and cold thru the day to add to the ice bottles at night.
 
I have been using anything frozen I can to stuff in the cooler. The concept of making cones to put in sounds viable. The larger the surface of the ice, the longer it will last. Maybe tomorrow I can experiment a bit.

Film at 11!
 
@wolf woman
Hi Mary,

May try the cones as an option to bags of ice.
Hope you have a good weekend.

Woke up very stiff this morning, so heading out for a walk now to see will that loosen me up.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
I'm fairly certain that my husband would say that I have an ice problem. I still send him out for ice regularly. I tried freezing water bottles, but it just wasn't cold enough for me. I ice all night long, but with going back to work, my leg swells in the night sometimes and I wake up because my cuff feels so tight so I take it off. Really it's closer to me tearing it off in frustration that I'm awake again. Love my ice!
 
@wolf woman I read on somebody forum they froze water bottles use them and ice in their machine I just don't remember whose thread on saw it on
 
Okay kids, here's my latest ice adventure. I tried to use solo cups but they were too big. Today while I was at the nursing home with Mom, I noticed the smaller plastic cups they use when they dispense meds. Four of those little guys came home with me and immediately filled with water and put in freezer. They are now in the cooler with all the other frozen junk I could find. Who needs ice makers? Funny how we look differently at some things now, eh?

Something else I would like some input on. Tonight I went out for a bowl of soup with hubby. I wore a pair of flats that are fairly new and discovered that my left foot (same side as new knee) seems a tad swollen. It's not visibly swollen, but I notice it in my shoes. After 12 plus weeks, has anyone else had this issue? Did it eventually go away? Mary
 
@H2OPoloMom , I run the ice machine all night. If I wake to hit the loo, I check to see if it's still cold enough. If it's not, I unwrap for the night. But if it's still cold, I am right back on that bad boy till morning. Yes, I have become the ice princess and love every minute of it! In fact, I am contemplating sewing up an insulated cozy for my ice bucket. Would that be entirely too over the top? Mary
 
@wolf woman
@gr82cu2

Good Morning Mary & Janet,

Ice, ice, ice -yes how can something so cold feel so good and take the pain away - don't really need to understand the science or physiology, just know it works !!! :ice:

Have tried the frozen water bottles and freezing blocks - but must admit that I find ice works the best to keep my Cryo a Cuff Ice bucket the coldest.

Our refrigerator has a small frozen section and no ice maker. So, buy a bag of ice every second day & use half a bag each day. The bag cost 85 Euro cent or $1.00 /bag.

There was a problem with supply the las two weekends with "The Ice Bucket Challenge" .

A worthy cause,my middle son's girlfriend is part of the Irish group working on ALS /Motor Neuron Disease research.

But, the Ice Bucket Challenge meant that ice was in short or no supply for a few days at our two local stores in The Village.

So, used the frozen water bottles & freezer blocks to keep the water icy cold in the Cryo Cuff water/ice container.

But, at the end of the day - nothing compares with real ice cubes to keep the water icy cold !
The ice bucket challenge seems to be decreasing - didn't do it myself, just made a donation.
So, the shelves in the two stores back filled with bags of ice.

Our Theme song could be the soundtrack from the film "Frozen" !

Mary, I have also noticed a difference in my shoes since the surgery.
On the operated foot, maybe due to swelling is slightly bigger, I need a half size larger for comfort.

I was expecting this so when I bought one pair of Velcro strap shoes and new pair of Sketchers the day before surgery, I bought them the half size larger.

Because of the Velcro on one pair, I can tighten the Velcro strap on the non-operated foot and the same with the Sketchers.

Haven't tried on any of my old shoes yet, so expecting on the operated foot the shoe will feel a bit tight until all the swelling is completely gone.

Have a great weekend - although with TKR recovery and not working, at the moment for me everyday seems like a weekend day for me.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora
Cathie, are you still working? Will you be returning to a job sometime soon? I cannot imagine the pressure of having to go back to work at a certain time after this surgery.

Mary
 
@wolf woman

Hi Mary,

I took 'early' retirement at age 61 last August 31, 2013.
From 2011 through 2013, had hysterectomy, bowel surgery, cataract surgery, foot surgery, L Knee Arthroscopy, and a few other small procedures.

Thought it was my body's way of telling me to slow down, so just pushed my retirement forward by 4 years.

I agree could not imagine going back to the job I had after the LTKR at this stage.
I had a central office, but responsible for Adult Education Programmes in the South East of Dublin in over 25 outreach centres and involved lots of city driving from centre to centre and some occasional evening work to visit tutors and centres that had programmes after 6:00 pm.

Two of my good friends who worked with me get together at least once every two weeks for coffee of dinner.

And another group (up to 12) retired teachers meet once a month on the first Friday of the month for "The Latte Club".

This is an informal group that one of the retired teachers started 3 years ago when she retired and as you retire she sends you a text letting you know about the "Latte club".

On any Friday, there may only be 3 of us and some Friday all 12.

What is nice, is that this is a group from a school that I stopped teaching there in 2006, before changing jobs within the organisation. So, very nice to keep up old and special friendships.

It's nearly 11 am here, have had breakfast & did some of my at home exercises, but still in my PJs.
So heading to the shower, get dressed and then out for a walk in the Dublin sunshine before it's gone.

Have a good weekend,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@wolf woman, I currently have 2 half moons across the top of my feet from where my shoes have actually cut into my feet from swelling after going back to work. The foot on my non operated knee is actually worse. I'm guessing from arthritis related swelling as that knee has taken quite a pounding through my recovery. Since the knees still (temporarily) rule my world, I didn't even notice until I took my shoes off. A gal I know had 2 knee replacements about 15 years ago and based on the shoes I've seen her wear, I'm betting that this too shall pass. By the way, she LOVES her knees too!
 
@H2OPoloMom So sorry your feet are so swollen! Sounds like it's a lot worse than mine. Our surgeries were three days apart and I cannot imagine having to be back at work! I certainly hope you don't have to be on your feet a lot. Are you back full time? Mary
 
@wolf woman, I teach and this last week was the first week with students, so aside from the fact that it was a 4 day week, yes I'm back full time. I did go in a few times this summer. The first time, I was not quite 4 weeks post op. My husband actually took the day off to bring me. I stand and walk all day, but it's not too bad as long as I remember to take my pain meds. I did tell my husband that the next time I have a tkr, I'm retiring before hand. So I guess I need to make my knees last until at least 2028.:wink:
 
@H2OPoloMom
@msmechanic58
Ladies, my goodness! You two are making me feel like a slacker! Just kidding, my hat is off to both of you for being so brave! Of course being teachers make you guys brave to being with.

The swelling I deal with is nothing monumental. I have one ankle the swells ever since I sprained it while playing war games at Ft Knox. Guess I just live with that forever. However, the one snug shoe thing really had me worried. My fear was having to make a decision of one shoe too large or one too small. I now have hope that my left foot will return to normal. Between now and then, I am thinking I will purchase one pair of Sketchers a half size bigger.

Funny how we are not warned about these little issues. Wish I had found you guys prior to my surgery! Mary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom