Guest viewing is limited

TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
All hail Josephine, where would we be without her....seriously! I still smile about her recovery after she left the hospital. Well worth a read it stops you from feeling sorry for yourself but oh it's so beautifully written and entertaining xxxx
 
@wolf woman - I believe Kentucky does allow more than 90 days of pain meds - for non cancer related pain. But the need for the drug must be verified by a second MD who can be in the same practice. The office & MD has to jump thru some hoops which may be why you were led to believe you could only get the drugs for 90 days. Each state or insurance company has some different regs regarding pain meds now - for ex. I cannot fill more than 2 prescriptions within 60 days without the MD verifying the need & stating they have a "plan of care" for pain management. That's my in insurance company rule. It's a pain in the fanny & delays pain med refills. I would recommend you ask your MD a few more specific questions about the state regs.
 
@dtmbf , I have kept up with the insane politics here in key that has lead to the restrictions imposed on narcotics. Trust me, it's hell. Shatter an ankle on Friday night and you are not allowed pain meds until Monday morning. No joke. GP's can only write treaty tablets at a time. It's sick and twisted. I despise living in this backward state.
 
Yes right now in NY it is way easier to buy pain killers on the street. I would like to know where these quantities come from. I felt like an addict awhile back taking my Norco I got bronchitis and my md prescribed cough medicine with codeine. If i wanted my pain medication i could not get the codeine cough medicine. Next time I will take Robittussen. There is no differentiating between the two narcotic prescriptions or the dosages. Craziness when you are trying to recover from this surgery.
 
@wolf woman I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
Please don't keep starting new threads about your recovery.

The reasons for this are that it
1. makes it easier for guests to read the continuous story of a member's recovery - the most important reason
2. avoids people duplicating and repeating things like links to articles
3. helps us to refresh on what you've had done and when, plus what advice was given previously
5. keeps all advice previously given on hand for the poster
6. makes it unnecessary for the member to keep repeating surgery details
7. just makes it easier for everyone all round!

Thank you very much!
 
Yesterday was a really good day! I went to the Rob Morris Pilgrimage, spent about 5 hours there. It rained quite a bit, so there was mud, causing me to stay back from walking to the ceremony at the cemetery. Several of us stayed behind, so I felt okay about it. The ground was uneven, but I took my time walking. Lunch was served and I managed to eat a light meal without nausea! When I arrived home, I was not in major pain, in fact, I felt pretty good. By evening's end, I was in pain and tired. Went to bed, propped up leg with ice pump, and watched TV. I did not sleep well and this morning I feel that really tight band around my knee again. Swelling, I assume. While that part is frustrating, I can tell there is progress.

I am so glad you guys are here to share my little accomplishments and fears with! Sure wish I had arrived sooner. Does anyone else still experience the knee choking sensation this far out? Sometimes it feels like it's totally gone and the suddenly, wham!, here it comes again.
 
@wolf woman Glad you had a good day! That tight band feeling is something most people experience. It leaves at different times for different people. Hubby was about 2 months post when it left his left knee. Once it left his knee it didn't come back.
 
Congratulations on your outing! It is great to feel that progress. I'm just ahead of you and am noticing more and more that things are getting more like normal, but not quite there yet. All to be expected.
 
@wolf woman
Your Rob Morris Pilgrimage sounded very challenging both physically & spiritually.
It was indeed a great accomplishment, especially with rain, mud and uneven ground.
And resting, elevating and icing today was what you needed to do.

With the American and European dates- am I right to think that your was LTKR was June 10,2014 ?
I am also a LTKR on 17 July 2014.

Take care and hope you have a restful evening & night.
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@wolf woman
Your Rob Morris Pilgrimage sounded very challenging both physically & spiritually.
It was indeed a great accomplishment, especially with rain, mud and uneven ground.
And resting, elevating and icing today was what you needed to do.

With the American and European dates- am I right to think that your was LTKR was June 10,2014 ?
I am also a LTKR on 17 July 2014.

Take care and hope you have a restful evening & night.
Cathie :flwrysmile:
Yes Cathie, my surgery was 10 June 2014. I am one month ahead of you.
Mary
 
Doesn't it make you feel like you really will get back to "normal" when you're able to be out and about again? Then the pain and swelling come back but you know at least you got back to your life for a brief time. My tight band feeling miraculously disappeared one night - got up around 3am and it was gone! I still continued to feel tightness and swelling, sometimes worse than other times, but it was more related to activity vs. a never ending pressure around the knee. I never had a return of the original post op tight band feeling. Are you able to tell if it's any different. I'm at 13 1/2 weeks and I still have swelling - I'm using the Kenesio tape which has helped a lot.
 
@dtmbf I have been getting out and about since the day I left the rehab center. However, this was the longest outing I have had. And yes, it did feel good! I sure pray that I have a miraculous loss of the tight band just as you did and that it is sooner than later! What is this Kenesio tape you speak of? Mary
 
@wolf woman

Hi Mary,
This week - Sunday the tight band feeling left without saying. 'Googbye'. I likened it to the feeling when you have your blood pressure taken and the band around your arm just gets tighter & tighter & painful.

Didn't feel it since my Sunday afternoon walk and had a fairly in tenses hour long Out-patient PT session on Monday that I had walked to/ from home to PT office.

Feel the ice& elevate & resting before and after exercise or my daily walks helped to speed up the end of the tight band feeling - but, aware that I may be speaking too soon, as it has been about 48 hours since it left.

@dtmbf Hi Mary Beth,
What is Kenesio tape - do you put it on yourself or does your physiotherapist ?
Have you found that it helps ?

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@wolf woman - you did better than me - I didn't get out for about 5 weeks after the surgery. I tried a family party at 2 weeks post op and that just did me in so I stayed real close to home.

The kinesio tape is the tape used by athletes to support joints, prevent injuries etc. and is also used by lymphedema patients. you may have seen pictures of some of the athletes with the bright neon tape applied over their body like spider legs. After my BTHR and now my knee, PT uses it to help decrease the swelling. The tape is applied over the knee with a stretch to it. The thought is that the tape microscopically raises the skin to allow fluid to move more freely along the lymphatic system. My PT suggested it and I think it has helped. It can't be used on a new incision - only one that is completely healed. I looked it up after she suggested it & found lots of you tube videos but none had the application she did for me. Anyway, ask your PT - I really like it.
 
I forgot to add, you can buy the Kenesio tape in a sporting goods store, a drugstore, or Amazon, which is where I got mine. But for right now my PT is applying it, although I easily could. It says it can stay on for up to 5 days but PT said it loses its effectiveness after 3 days & needs to reapplied. She said something about the stretch not being as effective (the stretch in the tape being the mechanism which raises the skin).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom