TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dtmbf
Hi Mary Beth, thanks for the explanation of the Kenesio tape. Now that you have described it, I have seen it on athletes on telly at the recent British Commonwealth Games- but didn't know it's purpose.

Thanks for the information.
 
The Kenesio tape is certainly worth a try-- I got some minor improvement from it, and hey, like the grocery store in the UK advertises, "every little helps" ! Besides, you can pretend you're a famous athlete while hobbling around in your slippers,:rotfl:
 
:hi: Hi Mary Beth @dtmbf
Hi @LondonLady
Hi Mary @wolf Women

You know how when you have not heard of something and then find out what it is, it seems to be everywhere.
On my morning walk I saw two fine young men jogging along and they had brightly colours Kenesio tape on their legs.

One stopped and asked me if I was o.k. And what had happened to me,
I told them, "that in my younger days I was Angelina Jolie's Stunt Woman" !

My friend in the US who had a BTHR used this line to tell people instead of the real truth to get a laugh out of them.

Let me tell you, that the 2 lads first looked at me with disbelief - maybe cause I'm a 62 year old and blond - and after it registered that it was a joke, started laughing until there were tears in their eyes.

You and anyone else on BS, are free to you my Stunt Women line !

Have a good day,
Cathie
 
@marmora Cathie, I guess I never paid attention to your age in your little avatar box. 62? You don't look a day past 40!! You must share all your Irish beauty secrets with us. Maybe all the dampness and humidity there keeps your skin dewey and glowing.

How is your son doing? Still recovering from the jet lag I imagine. When we were in Europe for 6 weeks this spring it took me 2-3 weeks to re-adjust to the time. I felt like a zombie most of the time. Even when I wasn't sleepy. It was weird.

Have a great day stunt woman!!! Don't do anything too crazy :)
 
@dtmbf Mary Beth...Thanks for your informative reply! I just left a message for my PT asking if she thinks it would be good for me. Hopefully, she will get the message tomorrow and reply. Mary
 
Thought you guys might like snippets from a conversation I had this morning. The unit manager at the nursing home where my Mom lives has a TKR over a year ago. She says it's just like coming home from the hospital with a new born baby, it takes a lot of time and effort, you lose sleep, and it drastically changes your life for a good period of time. Having never had children, I cannot totally relate, but it sounds about right to me!
 
@wolf woman - anxious to hear what your PT thinks. I know my PT told me she went to several courses to learn how to apply the Kenesio tape and the PT I worked with after my BTHR was a lymphedema expert so she was very well versed in the application. My current PT has applied it to my knee as a solid piece - no spider legs. She starts below the incision, then has me flex the knee pretty tight, pulls it up over the incision line, and anchors it above the knee. When my leg is straight it kinda puckers. She also told me she doesn't use till about 8 or 9 weeks post op & some like it (that would be me) and some don't feel it helps at all.

The application for the swelling post BTHR was very different, with the spider legs. I have a pretty strong inflammatory response so my continued swelling post TKR is not unexpected, but is most unwelcome! I see my OS on Thurs. & see what he has to say.
 
@g82cu2
Hi Janet,
Thank you for the compliment, think it is mainly genetic my Mum always looked a few years younger than her real age. I took that photo on the morning I was going into hospital 16 July 2014.

Glad you got a giggle about my previous stunt double life !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
PT returned my call this morning. She is willing to try the kenesio tape and told me not to buy any yet. Said she has some. If it works for me, I will purchase.
 
Hi Mary @wolf woman

Hello Mary,
Just wondering of you are feeling any problems from your Rob Morris outing last Sunday, as it was once a long day.

Getting out in the real world is a real achievement.
Today, I was collected by a friend and we met up with 3 other friends for a short lunch today - one of the 'girls' was also collected, as she is currently in a rehab centre and after carpal tunnel surgery on Monday.

We kept the lunch to about an hour, which was enough for the two post-op surgery 'girls'.
I then had my first group knee surgery PT session at the hospital where I had my surgery.

So, advised my the PT to spend the rest of the evening elevating, resting and icing and no further exercise or outside walking until Thursday.

Have you gotten any of the Kenesio tape ? I might discuss it with my PT at my next session on Friday.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Hey Cathie! Glad you had a good outing with friends today! That is so important. I spent so much time home alone that I ended up depressed. I did not get out unless someone came to take me to therapy, and hubby was never home. Glad that part is behind me!

My Sunday outing didn't get to me but my housekeeping efforts yesterday really did me in! Today I have been on ice and elevated while resting. Duh! I had planned to go to the gym today, thought better of it. Cooking a light dinner now, then back to elevation and ice. May try to find something worthy of my time on TV. Tomorrow I have a full day with visiting Mom in nursing home, a light dinner with a friend, followed by band practice. So, it's imperative that I rest tonight!

As for the tape, my PT said not to buy any until we figure out if what they use on me is going to help. I can't wait to try it!

Felling like a polar bear,

Mary
 
Hi Mary,
@wolf woman

You certainly have a full day tomorrow. I haven't done too many jobs around the house, except loading & unloading dishwasher and putting small load of clothes into washing machine. Lucky, that husband is cooking our evening meal each night when his back from work.

Keep thinking I should mop the kitchen floor or vacuum the carpets - but am keeping those thoughts out of my mind for the moment.

I am tucked up in bed /in the spare room with Icy Cryo Cuff on my knee. Leg elevated on 3 BS way pillows and catching up on posts and emails.

Enjoy tomorrow and take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Anyone else with asthma had to be put on oral prednisone soon after TKR? I am having some breathing issues, not major yet, but am already having a bit of anxiety over the possibility. Doing everything I know how to avoid it, but would feel better if I thought there was a chance it might not hurt me being ten weeks post op.

@marmora Cathie, PLEASE no mopping! I tried the dust mopping and vac stunt, not the best move I made this year!

Mary
 
Could someone please tell me how to find my own thread when I want to post? I have not bothered to post lately because it takes me forever to find it! I get so confused!

On a different note, this is day four of closet purge for me. The knee that to in control will not allow me to try on much in one day, so this is going to take a good while. It feels good to be accomplishing something while trying to recover. Today I overdid it before I realized it. So, fixed a little dinner, took a pain pill, parked in from of the tube for the night. Guess I missed the warning!
 
@wolf woman
This is what I do to find my thread if I haven't posted on it for awhile . It may not be the most technical way, but it works for me.
1. I first go to the post-op knee recovery site.
2. The click 'Forums'
3. Then scroll down the list of forums until I find the one I started
4. Sometimes my forum is not on the first page
5. So, I have to then go to page 2 and scroll down and usually find my forum there
6. If it has been awhile since I posted on my own forum, I might have to go to page 3

Hope this makes sense & hope it helps you to find your forum
I am sure that someone will post us an easier way to find our own forums, but this works for me in the mean time,
Cathie
 
@marmora
Cathie,

Thanks for sharing your technique! It's close to what I do. I put the title of my thread in the search box. Either way is somewhat time consuming. LOL, does that comment give you insight into my lack of patience? There has to be an easier way!

Thanks,

Mary
 
@wolf woman You can just bookmark it in your browser. Once you do that the bookmark will take you to whatever page it was on when you bookmarked it but then just click on the last page and you'll be where you need to be. Make sense? That's what I did :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom