THR 80 year old mom hip replacement, slow recovery

sorry about your bronchitis @Canucklady .....but glad you're having an enforced rest! You've had it tough the last few weeks, no wonder your body has called time out. Great news about your mum, you must be very relieved, and she should be proud of herself for sticking at it.....it can't have been easy for her, even with all her cheerleaders :)
 
Hi @Canucklady
Wondering how you're feeling....Hope the bronchitis is gone.
Curious about mom, how she's doing and if she's still on schedule to go home this week.
Would love an update when you're able.
A great week to you!
 
Discharge is still Thursday. She still has lots of swelling, so they oedeord compression socks. Still walking slowly, but huge progress compared to a month ago. I am still sick with bronchitis, but getting better
 
Glad your mom is still progressing. I had bronchitis last fall that lasted a few weeks, it is very tiring. It seems the stuff going around this winter has been very stubborn. Glad you continue to improve.
 
Hi @Canucklady
Great news, things are improving on both counts!
Hope your bronchitis completely clears soon.
Excited for your mom to be released.
Now that she's on her way in recovery, I'll bet she really thrives once she gets home.
Things are looking up!
 
Mom is home 6 weeks Postop. She is walking on her own and getting up on her own. She has alot of PT sessions left, but she is improving daily. Thanks everyone for encouragement. Still long way to go, but things do not seem so bleak now
 
That is such wonderful news! @Canucklady
I know there were somedays when you thought this day would never come.
I'll bet your mom's mood and determination has improved right along with the progress she's making.
Waiting on the re-hab really threw a monkey wrench into her recovery but you can't go back and it doesn't matter now anyways. The important thing is that she is thriving and continues to move forward. I hope you are catching up on rest and that your bronchitis continues to clear.
A great rest of the week to you!
 
Thanks for sharing the positive update @Canucklady. In addition to your mom doing so well, it is great seeing a daughter taking such care of her mother.
 
Glad that your mum is home and doing so much better. Hope you’re now feeling better as well
 
Glad your mum is home. I hope you’re feeling much better soon!
 
Great news!! I hope you are on the mend yourself. Wishing you well...
 
My mom has upper thigh/groin pain. She didn't have this in hospital. Should I be worried? Will ice or heat help?
 
Hi @Canucklady
Try Ice for sure! Natural pain reliever.
Our Nurse Director, Josephine who's had over 50 yrs experience in Orthopedics always
recommends 40-60 minutes of icing several times a day. If it doesn't ease we can tag Jo and have her weigh in on your mom's symptoms. It usually involves Jo asking some questions and then posting a graph where you'd pinpoint your mom's pain. Consider that option if it continues.

Try the ice and maybe have her step away from her exercises for a few days and see if it improves. Please don't worry, I'm sure it's simply a very minor set back.
I'd act easy breezy about it when dealing with your mom so she's not discouraged.
Good luck and keep in touch.... Hope your weekend is peaceful!
 
Is the bed at home higher than the bed at hospital/rehab? It could be something as simple as more effort being needed to get in and out of bed. Same Re toilet seat or chairs. If those are lower at home, it can make the hip flexor work harder and cause pain. If so, you might consider some modifications (small riser by bed or something to raise height of chairs, etc.) Ice will also help. Jo or others might have more thoughts.
 
Went to emergency department last night becaus mom's pain was do bad, she wasn't walking. x-rays and blood work were ok. Dr prescribed more frequent pain meds and sleep pill to help her relax. She is sleeping 6 hours straight now. I actually jumped out of bed to make sure she was ok. She is sound asleep. Looks like bettet pain management was needed
 
Glad they addressed that @Canucklady. Pain management is critical and there really isn’t a one size fits all.
 
Hi @Canucklady
I am happy to read all checked out at the hospital. Hopefully the comfort provided in adjusting your mom's meds will keep her confident in her recovery. She's been doing so well!
Wondering if you read her our messages? Curious because..maybe some support from us, specifically addressed to her, would serve as continual motivation.
Something to ponder....she wouldn't need to respond to us.
Hope your weekend is peaceful!
 
@Layla my mom speaks only Italian, but I have told her about messages on forum. I was looking for Italian message board like this but no luck. I am sure there is one. Pain management is so very important I have learned. Her rehab doctor discharged with too little and apparently emergency department has seen many patients from that doctor end up in ER with uncontrollable pain. They will followup with rehab
 
So sorry your Mom's pain was not managed correctly. Hopefully things can now progress. If she is still doing PT you might want to stop it. Hips don't really need excessive exercise and PT may be adding to the discomfort.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom