THR 80 year old mom hip replacement, slow recovery

I’m so very glad to read that a place finally opened up in rehab for your mom. I think just the thought of getting out of the hospital and moving into rehab is a boost mentally. She will improve more quickly now I’m sure. Just look back a couple of weeks and see how very far she has come. By the time she gets home, she will probably do just fine on her own as long as someone checks in on her once or twice each day. Prior to my surgery I got some inexpensive sweatpants at Walmart to wear during those early weeks. I wasn’t sure about the incision so I got a size larger than I might normally get. These did NOT have the elastic at the bottom of the legs so they were easier to get on and off. I think they were about $7 a pair if I remember correctly. They worked great! They felt nice and warm (warmer than slacks or jeans) on my legs and they were quite easy to get on and off. I didn’t have the grabber that looks like scissors. My grabber just had a hook on one end and and some sort of L shaped thing on the other end. I even used it to help with socks since I never got one of those sock thingys.

Be sure to take care of yourself and get plenty of rest! You have been under a lot of stress this past month so don’t let yourself get worn down. Please pass on our healing wishes to your mom. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

@Canucklady , things should go much smoother with your mom in rehab. They will get her ready to go home and take a big load off you. The grabber works great with soft pants as @GrannyC said. I found a pair of dressier looking soft pull on pants online on Lands End that are good for church, doctor's appointments, etc. if your mom would like a dressier pair. With a long shirt or tunic, you cannot tell that they are pull on, and as a bonus the seams are soft on the incision.

The one I had was called a dressing stick and it was like this one.
It worked very well for me. I didn’t use it to pick up things off the floor but you probably could pick up certain things. I had my husband at home so I didn’t get one of the “grabbers.” He grabbed what I needed :heehee:

I agree with the others, maybe your mum just needs a different sort of aid. I bought a grabber ready for the op and I am SO cackhanded with it.....somehow it really challenges my co-ordination (think it's the combination of squeezing the trigger, and locating the grabber round the object.....I obviously can't multitask at some things :heehee:) Really happy to hear she's progressing so well....had a look at the beginning of your thread again, and she has made tons of progress :thumb:

Day 3 in Rehab: mom is getting up from chair and going to bathroom on her own. PT excercises are helping alot. OT also has been around to give her tips to get dressed. New month new outlook. She still regrets doing surgery. But I keep reminding her nothing we can do about that now. Let's look forward.

Hi @Canucklady
She's hanging in there....that's all we need right now. It sounds as though she's
continually improving. I think once she gets further along in recovery, becoming more independent
she's not going to have the negative feeling about the surgery that she has now. Most likely quite the contrary. My guess is she has a bad taste in her mouth because her recovery was stagnant, stalled out.

Well.....all that's changed and I'll bet her attitude will soon follow suit. If it was my mom,
I'd put on a happy face with an upbeat attitude each time I was around her in an effort to cancel out any negative vibe she's putting out. It will come. I hope you're hanging in there.....You've been such a constant in her recovery. Hoping you're able to find the time these days to take care of yourself.
A great weekend to you!

Spoke with doctor on Rehabilitation unit . She is actually pleased with mom's progress. I am relieved. It will be one month tomorrow.

Only issue is putting on pants and getting in/out of bed

Thanks for sharing the good news. Pants can be tricky, is she able to use a grabber to helping? Is she using a leg lifter to help in and out of bed?

Given where she was not too long ago, to have those be her two issues is really good. So glad she is improving @Canucklady.

@MammaT, mom can't seem to get hang of grabber thing. Leg lifter needs more practice. I guess she can always wear nightgowns and skirts...lol... although it is chilly

Hi @Canucklady
What great news! I can imagine how wonderful it was to hear those words and allow yourself to
take a breath!

The getting in and out of bed will come, just as all else is progressing.

I can see where a grabber may be difficult for your mom as some of them take some hand strength.
GrannyC has mentioned and posted a picture of a dressing stick. I'm wondering if that may
be easier for her to maneuver?

Such great news, can't wait for the next update.....Enjoy your Sunday!

Perhaps dresssing stick Layla referenced would be a good alternative. Thankfully there are a variety of assistance devices and different ones work better for different people. That’s what is so great about this site, we can learn about the different options.

Getting out of bed is more complicated than we think. It takes a lot of muscles working together. She will get there.

Hope you two have a positive Sunday @Canucklady.

Wow! Your mom has really progressed well. Getting in and out of bed is tough for a while but it will come. For a time after surgery many of us had a “log leg” and that is exactly how it feels. It just does NOT move on its own. It will just take a little longer but she will be able to get in and out of bed on her own before much longer. She is blessed to be in rehab as they will show her how to do these things and encourage her which she still needs. It can get frustrating to be so dependent on others like she is but it can also be a motivator to try hard. I hope you are now getting plenty of rest and feeling a bit more relaxed as you see some progress. You don’t want to let yourself get run down as you will surely be more susceptible to the flu. Your mom is in good hands and I wish you both well :loveshwr:

Day 33 update on mom:. Yesterday mom was sore and in pain so she rested most of day. Rest did her good. Today she practiced on those parallel bars in physio. She walked with no limping. Not sure why she limps with walker. PT will work on that with her. She is

Hi @Canucklady
Great news, she continues to improve. I'm sure your moms limp will be gone soon enough.
It sounds as though she's really thriving since moving into re-hab. You must be feeling relieved
to finally see progress.
Wishing you both a good week!

Just found out planned discharge date is February 15th. Mom has made great progress since last week.

For this week she needs to practice getting in/out of bed and simulate getting in/out of car.

As for myself, I have bronchitis, so am banned from hospital. My 3 brothers are forced to do more. My body said enough, needs some rest

Last edited:
So sorry you have bronchitis, @Canucklady . Please take care of yourself and get plenty of rest. Hopefully you will be well before your moms discharge. It sounds like she is doing great. I think the limp will go as she improves. Right now she is probably concentrating on standing and walking but as she gains more strength and mobility, she can think about the heel, toe, heel toe and walk without the limp. The bars in physio May subconsciously feel more secure so she can think about not limping. The most important think now though is that she is getting around and becoming more independent.

Getting in the car should be fairly easy for her since she had her right hip done. If she puts the left leg in first and gets on the seat, she can just lift her right leg with her hands if it won’t go on it’s own. Or, if she can’t do that, someone else can help lift her right leg in. It should all be fairly easy.

Hang in there and rest, rest, rest yourself and drink plenty of fluids so you are better soon. I wish you well.

What wonderful news about your mom! Just think...in one week she'll be thriving at home.

I'm sorry to hear of your bronchitis. I'm not surprised as I'm sure your immune system took a beating
through all of the stress and crazy hours you most likely kept worrying about your mom.
I think it's great your brother's have to step up. It's good for your mom also. I'm sure she enjoys spending time with all of her kids so I hope you're not worried. This temporary separation will also serve as a mental health break of sorts allowing you to re-enter fresh and renewed. I hope your schedule allows for lots of rest so you're soon feeling better.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend.
@Canucklady

Bronchitis is no fun. Get rest and heal. You are no good for mom in your current condition.

Good to hear they have a release date for her.i hope you can get some assistance for her in home care. So good th hr of her progress.

So sorry about your bronchitis, @Canucklady . This is a golden opportunity for the rest of the family to feel useful. I hope that the rehab center keeps your mom long enough so she can do most things unaided. Independence is important for all of us. Get well soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back