THR 80 year old mom hip replacement, slow recovery

Very normal as she becomes more active, or at least it was for myself and lots of members.
Ice is still the best thing for this.
Hope weekend is peaceful
 
Hi @Canucklady
Another great update :yes!:
Mom is doing so well! I wouldn't worry about the pain you describe
since your mom has been more active and possibly using muscles that
have been sleepy. Wondering if she tolerates icing? If she doesn't I'd really
try to convince her of its benefits.

I don't know your mom but am wondering if it helps to try and impress upon her
that most of these aches, fleeting pains and soreness are all part of the process.

I'd only be concerned if she's in great pain and its unrelenting or increasing.
Then I'd check with the surgeon or his care team. If it continues you can always
tag Josephine and she will weigh in. She'd probably ask you a series of questions and post
a diagram for you to pinpoint your mom's area of pain. Let me know if I can help.

Wishing both you and mom a great weekend!
 
Which Josephine do I tag to ask question about groin/inner thigh pain?

Other than that mom is progressing. She Is just not sleeping well because pain is worse at night

But I am thankful otherwise.
 
Hi @Canucklady
I'm sorry your mom is in pain.
I've tagged @Josephine for you.
She may want to ask a series of questions so you will need to check back.
Hope you have a nice evening.
 
Which Josephine do I tag
Which Josephine? You mean there is more than one of me? Gosh - wish I'd known that!!
question about groin/inner thigh pain?
Tell me more

You could also point out the spot using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] 80 year old mom  hip replacement, slow recovery
 
My mom's pain in image is in box WR3f, xR3f and yr3f. That area more inner thigh. She says it is a burning pain. Worse when lying in bed. I am thinking it is muscle soreness. Mom is 2 months postopp. Otherwise she is mobilising. Although by nightime she is limping
 
Like this then?

[Bonesmart.org] 80 year old mom  hip replacement, slow recovery


That's an inflammatory issue of the sartorius. It's not uncommon for this muscle to go into spasm and it can be very painful and disabling. She needs to have the area given some therapeutic massage in order to have the spasm relieved.

[Bonesmart.org] 80 year old mom  hip replacement, slow recovery
 
Thanks Josephine. She put ice on it today and I did try to massage gently for her. It seemed to help. Things are improving
 
Great news! @Canucklady
Happy to hear she feels better.
Stay in touch and a great evening to you and your mom.
 
Hi @Canucklady
Wondering how your mom is doing today....still improving I hope?
 
Sounds good @Canucklady
Less pain, good balance :thumb:
Hope you both enjoy the weekend!
 
Mom seems to have slowed in progress. Possibly just needs more rest. PT says she is progressing nicely. Greatest challenge is walking long distances and getting in/out of car
 
I personally think it is hard to see progress from one day to the next. Early in you can see it from one week to the next and thenlater from one month to the next. I’m sure if you think back or read back on here to s time about 3 or 4 weeks back, then you can see the progress. As time passes, the changes are just so subtle that we can’t see them from day to day but they are there. Your mom is an amazing lady to have undertaken this surgery but it sounds like maybe she feels better now than before the surgery and it will just keep improving as time passes. At my 6 month check, I told my OS how great my hip felt and he told me it would just keep getting better and better. I know the same applies to your mom. I hope you both have a great weekend.
 
Hi @Canucklady
I love Granny C's post above, she captured it all. If PT is satisfied with your mom's progress, I wouldn't worry.
THR is the gift that keeps on giving.....just give it time. She'll continue to notice little improvements as she moves through recovery. You will too!

Thanks for your kind words on my thread, while I have your attention, much appreciated!
I wish you and mom both a fabulous weekend :flwrysmile:
 
It has been awhile since an update about my 81 year old mom. Just short of 3 months postop, mom is progressing, slowly but surely. She went to her seniors club lunch this week and socializing lifted her mood. I am relieved and looks like worse is over. Thanks to this group for moral support. :)
 
I've been thinking of your mom @Canucklady
What wonderful news! She's recovering at her own pace and she's doing very well!
Maybe the socializing piece is something she's been missing and not even aware as she was involved in her recovery. I'll bet it spurs her on, especially because it lifted her mood. Encouraging her to engage may be the best thing for her.
Thank you for supporting me in my mom's journey also. Your kindness was much appreciated.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful weekend!
 
Fantastic! It has been good to read yours and your moms journey. It is a good reminder to all of us that we each recover at our own rate and we should never get discouraged if things don’t move as quickly as we would like. I appreciate you taking the time to share with us. Sending happy healing thoughts your way for you both!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom